AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st February, 2008, 12:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Unhappy "Bugged" Vista Exp. Index Score?

Hi all,
earlier today, when i was experiencing 5k+ latency in WoW, i decided to try and see if i could optimise it (even though it came from nowhere, only other weird thing was when it kept crashing a day earlier, which involved me completely reinstalling it). I assumed that NV Net. Access Manager would be better, or at least usable by now. Yet again, my Vista install went a similar way to my old XP install. After reinstalling Vista and the essential drivers (Ethernet ignoring NAM prompt, Catalyst, Realtek HD, as well as the DXWeb Updater), i started up WoW. I played on my main character for a while (hell, i missed the guilds first kara run due to this), no problems, or non that i noticed. I then logged onto my mage alt where i was met with one annoying problem; fps spikes. Yep, every 2 seconds or so, the fps would freeze for about 0.25-0.5 seconds. As you can imagine, it's like playing on 60 fps at 30hz refresh rate and really hurts the eyes.

Also, previously, when running the CoD 4 demo, i had no FPS problems whatsoever. Now, when there's a lot going on at the same time, FPS suddenly drops down to around 5 until the action has cleared.

What else was strange, is that when i run the Vista Experience Index tool, CPU and RAM have dropped to 4.8 (from a very nice 5.9), and Graphics AND Gaming Graphics are both stuck at 1.0! Yep, you read right, 1.0, down from about 5.3 (somewhere around there iirc).

So, what does this say to you guys, because to me, it says that something iffy is going on.

Cheers,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2008, 01:56 AM

Ok, i managed to sort out the WEI score; The Windows Experience Index rating may inherit an incorrect value after you make a change to your computer's hardware configuration or you start Windows Vista for the first time

Now got 4.8 in RAM, CPU and HDD, and 5.9 in Both graphics test. However, this is unlikely to solve the problem i still have with WoW and CoD4 demo (i don't have time to test atm). What else could i be missing that would increase performance?

There is one thing different in the Catalyst drivers this time; the 3D "walkthroughs" actually animate this time, whereas previously, they were just still images (this is the way i thought they were supposed to be). I updated to the latest ones (8.7 i think) and they were still animated.

Last edited by skool h8r; 21st February, 2008 at 01:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd February, 2008, 08:51 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Lag time can drive you around the bend, any progress?
Old 24th February, 2008, 02:32 PM

No change, seems i've just got to not notice it.

Old 27th February, 2008, 01:49 AM

Ahah, solved the CoD4 stuttering problem. Turning off "Sync every frame" has made it all better again. And WoW seems to be fixing itself...or i'm getting used to it.

Either way, i'll be playing on a 24" widescreen monitor from Thursday night, and got an 850w PSU Akasa PowerMax PSU on the way to lay to rest my EPS12V worries.

Old 28th February, 2008, 01:52 PM

Ah, solved the WoW problem now too. PerformanceFu addon has an option called CPU Profiling which allows to measure CPU time. Since memory usage can be measured without it (although CPU time can't), and since it's got about 30+ addons and their timings to count every second or so, it's slowing it down, even if just for a moment.

Can't wait to get home tonight and set up my WoW UI on my 19" monitor, and have the game rendered on the 24" widescreen. Can put all my chat channels, minimap (or even a full map using alphamap or similar addon), bag bar, etc, while having just the actionbars i need on the main screen. Didn't plan on setting it up like that, but now i realise what Viewport addons (such as CT_Viewport) are for.

Old 28th February, 2008, 03:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

A problem I had lately was related to dual monitors. Even while playing an older game like Q4, with both monitors enabled, the game was extremely slow. If i turn off the other monitor before starting the game, all runs well. Not really a big deal, but it did stump me for a while.