AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th October, 2008, 11:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Some of the greatest discoveries were accidents. So were some of the biggest disasters.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th October, 2008, 06:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

When they lit off the first big one they "felt" and someone had calculated that there was a one in a million chance that it would ignite the entire atmosphere of the earth...ending our existence and then some!

What were the chances at that point of either Japan or Germany doing us such harm? Zero.

They never questioned that they had a "right to know." The odds were "in their favor"... as they had "calculated" them...on the basis of "what they knew at the time."

It isn't this experiment or that which I fear of them, but their "Right to know at my expence."
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th October, 2008, 06:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I do not remember them asking me at all. Did you get a call?

i swear we were just talking about this yesterday at work. I am still not sure what we need to know so badly as to put all of existence in harms way.
Old 14th October, 2008, 07:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well just by reading your post I can see why YOU weren't asked! Ya laid it right out there SAM! You'd say NO!

Now don't feel bad Sam, a whole big bunch of us lack the scientific back ground that would allow us to appreciate the finer points being reduced to a singularity in our own space/time!

( I think it rather rude of them as well! )
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th October, 2008, 04:06 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
When they lit off the first big one they "felt" and someone had calculated that there was a one in a million chance that it would ignite the entire atmosphere of the earth...ending our existence and then some!
Although I get your point, I'm not sure the comparison is entirely fair. For one thing, that was in a time of war. As such, certain risks might have been more palatable under those conditions.

In THIS situation, there is no such exigency to possibly justify the action. More to the point (in my mind), many people in the press have been misleading us, either intentionally or because they are too lazy to properly do their homework (big surprise there). Presumably, there are more people working behind the scenes to mislead and misdirect as well, which speaks to your point about the scientists working through power to get what they want.
Old 15th October, 2008, 05:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Men, even scientifically trained men....are really quite often less than reasonable or rational when it comes to personal ambition...

There is a war going on! One that never ends! Scientific competition is dog eat dog and let the devil (That would be us!) take the hind most.

Personally I would have preferred to see both Germany and Japan triumph that to see the world lost to oblivion. Times change, we would have gotten over Hitler, annilelation...takes a bit longer...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur