AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th September, 2008, 04:08 AM

Memory issue

In Samuknows Folding@Home ShadowFang brought up his new memory, G. Skill. It's the same brand I've just put in my rig. I had never heard of that MFG before but the reviews were better than I have ever read for any product. They just praised the OC capabilities.
I got to wondering. Just what does OC'ing the mem do?
Just my case. I've put the FSB to 1333 and CPU volts @102% to take my OC from 1.8 @ 3.0.
What would OC'ing the memory do?
Maybe Miffin's having a bad influence on me!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th September, 2008, 09:58 PM

Arrow

Miff1n? that old guy next door is influencing you? LOL...lets hope not...

I've done a series of tests OCing my memory & not overclocking it trying to get the optimal throughput for my setup.

Guess what my best results are?
Raising the mobo's FSB & only slightly OCing the memory.

Why is this the best way?
Because it doesn't do you any good to have the memory talking to the NB at 15,000mbs when the NB is answering it back at 10,000.
The higher your NB FSB is, the more memory throughput you have.
This is yet another reason "why" I want a full 1GHz OC on my system!
Faster FSB speeds! (My Multi is locked on this processor using this board at x10)

Hope that makes sense.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 16th September, 2008 at 10:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th September, 2008, 11:04 PM

If I'm reading you correctly, in your situation OC'ing the mem doesn't help you to much.
So there are other set ups that it helps a lot. I've just got to find out which is which. Tall order I think. Another project on the back burner. To much going on for me to invest that amount of time right now. Thanks

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 17th September, 2008, 01:25 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Most programs load into memory yes? So you want your CPU to "talk" to the memory as fast as possible yes?
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 17th September, 2008, 04:04 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
If I'm reading you correctly, in your situation OC'ing the mem doesn't help you to much.
So there are other set ups that it helps a lot. I've just got to find out which is which. Tall order I think. Another project on the back burner. To much going on for me to invest that amount of time right now. Thanks
You didn't get my point I guess...
OK, I was just pointing out in my case, that for me to have a higher FSB I have to OC my CPU faster is all.

But in general the best results will always be for all NB systems (yours, mine, anyones) is to have a decent high clock on your CPU, a very fast & high FSB speed, & have your memory running fast enough to keep up with & to talk to this setup at the needed speeds so as to not create a choke point or bottle neck in the system during the transport of the information being processed.

In short: You get better throughput by OCing your CPU & having a fast FSB speed than if you just OC your memory.

I hope that makes some sense.

Last edited by MUff1N; 17th September, 2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 17th September, 2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
You didn't get my point I guess...
OK, I was just pointing out in my case, that for me to have a higher FSB I have to OC my CPU faster is all.

But in general the best results will always be for all NB systems (yours, mine, anyones) is to have a decent high clock on your CPU, a very fast & high FSB speed, & have your memory running fast enough to keep up with & to talk to this setup at the needed speeds so as to not create a choke point or bottle neck in the system during the transport of the information being processed.

In short: You get better throughput by OCing your CPU & having a fast FSB speed than if you just OC your memory.

I hope that makes some sense.
I think I have an idea what's going on. The mem isn't speeding anything up by it self. OC'ing it changes very little unless you are OC'ing the other attributes and then it has to be able to keep up. Then there is the reverse. If you have cheap memory it won't OC very much and then you can OC the CPU to forever but it will only go as far as the memory will allow. That is why OC'ers want Quality memory.
How's that, Boss?

Old 17th September, 2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
How's that, Boss?
You got it!

Last edited by MUff1N; 17th September, 2008 at 10:58 AM.