AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st September, 2008, 04:35 AM

Back into box building and need some advice!

Hey all,

After a few years of being out of the box building business, I am back and could use some advice. My brothers system just ate it's self, and while it might be repairable, he wants to upgrade so he can play newer games. I just not sure what config would lead to a good, mid range gaming system any more. I'm thinking about building the new system around a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 proc and 2GB's of some sort of RAM. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about Mobo and videocards I should look at. The system will be mostly used to play games of all sorts, from the Sims to the lastest shooter and listening to music.

Thanks for any advice,
DK.

Main Rig: - Down
Proc: P4 2.66 Ghz Mobo: MSI MS-6701 RAM: 768 Mb DDR333 Video Card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 OS: Windows XP SP2 / Mandrake Linux 9.0
Laptop:
Proc: P4 3.06 Ghz RAM: 1280 Mb DDR400 Video Card: ATI Radion Mobility 9000 OS: Windows XP SP2

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post
Hey all,

After a few years of being out of the box building business, I am back and could use some advice. My brothers system just ate it's self, and while it might be repairable, he wants to upgrade so he can play newer games. I just not sure what config would lead to a good, mid range gaming system any more. I'm thinking about building the new system around a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 proc and 2GB's of some sort of RAM. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about Mobo and videocards I should look at. The system will be mostly used to play games of all sorts, from the Sims to the lastest shooter and listening to music.

Thanks for any advice,
DK.
any chance of an AMD setup? ok! so Intel it is. Asus mb, GSkill ram, ATI 4XXX vid card and
SB Audigy sound. Antec 9000 case, for air-cooled, Antec Neo (modular) psu, 650W. CrossFire is another
option but not necessarily mid range. have fun!

Ron

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd September, 2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabaerman View Post
any chance of an AMD setup? ok! so Intel it is. Asus mb, GSkill ram, ATI 4XXX vid card and
SB Audigy sound. Antec 9000 case, for air-cooled, Antec Neo (modular) psu, 650W. CrossFire is another
option but not necessarily mid range. have fun!

Ron
I'm not set against an AMD proc, but I though that Intel was giving the most bang for the buck in the processor world right now, and the Q9300 looked like a good 'middle of the road' part. In the end I'm trying to build a middle of the road gaming system that I will not have to upgrade to every other second.

Thanks for the advice.

Proc: P4 2.66 Ghz Mobo: MSI MS-6701 RAM: 768 Mb DDR333 Video Card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 OS: Windows XP SP2 / Mandrake Linux 9.0
Laptop:
Proc: P4 3.06 Ghz RAM: 1280 Mb DDR400 Video Card: ATI Radion Mobility 9000 OS: Windows XP SP2

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd September, 2008, 02:42 PM

cool! yes Intel has some good stuff out there. let us know how it goes.

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd September, 2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post
I'm not set against an AMD proc, but I though that Intel was giving the most bang for the buck in the processor world right now, and the Q9300 looked like a good 'middle of the road' part. In the end I'm trying to build a middle of the road gaming system that I will not have to upgrade to every other second.

Thanks for the advice.
My guess is you're not that far out of it. Take a stab at it. Pick the components you would like and come back and post it. I'd bet it would be pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabaerman View Post
cool! yes Intel has some good stuff out there. let us know how it goes.

Ron
Then it lets a person like this guy see what you are thinking about and offer up pearls of wisdom. You can't go wrong!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 23rd September, 2008, 08:11 PM
Steve Jobs

Even I, the AMD loving intel hater now own a Q9450.

Only thing I'd add is you might find the Q9300 limiting. Q9450 is a better chip but is still limited in its multis.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 26th September, 2008, 03:03 AM

Here are the parts that I am thinking about using:
  • INTEL core 2 quad q9550
  • ANTEC NeoPower 650 ATX Powersupply
  • WD 1tb WD10EACS SATA2 7200rpm Harddrive
  • ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA Mobo
  • G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
  • SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Running Vista, somewhat to my dismay. I'm just planning on a mild OC for this rig at the moment, so I'm hoping that stock cooling will work, and my brother wants to use his old case, a aluminum and Plexiglas monster with more fan slots then he knows what to do with. I think that he is keeping the case because he likes watching the dust bunnies grow in it.

Does anyone see any glaring troubles with this hardware lineup? I really want to build this system and benchmark it. (And if everything works out, maybe in a couple of months I can talk my wife into us building one for the family... )

Thanks.
DK

Laptop:

AOA Team fah
Old 26th September, 2008, 03:21 AM

Might be just me, but I wouldn't have just 1 HD in there, not at the prices they're at these days! I'd have at least 2. That's my 2 cents.

1. For Main OS, music, games, documents, etc
2. Pagefile, backup & storage for drive 1.

Everything else looks good to me!

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 26th September, 2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 26th September, 2008, 03:41 AM

muff1n,
how does windows utilize a drive setup something along these lines?
IDE off the motherboard 80g master partitioned 35g for XP Pro, 45g Storage. DVD-R/W slave.PCI IDE controler card, 40g Storage master, 20g Storage slave.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Last edited by PorPorMe; 26th September, 2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 26th September, 2008, 05:53 AM

While we all have our opinions, for an all out gaming rig I would run a 64 bit version of Vista with 4GB of memory. While I agree with having 2 drives, I prefer to run a RAID0 setup just to speed up dropping into maps. You probably won't care too much for the stock cooling at stock speeds once you fire it up.

I have one of these on my other quad powered rig. Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Temps are within 4 degrees of my water cooled quad at full load. Well worth the 33 bucks they get for them..

Outside of that everything looks pretty reasonable to me.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 26th September, 2008 at 05:54 AM.
Old 27th September, 2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
While we all have our opinions, for an all out gaming rig I would run a 64 bit version of Vista with 4GB of memory. While I agree with having 2 drives, I prefer to run a RAID0 setup just to speed up dropping into maps. You probably won't care too much for the stock cooling at stock speeds once you fire it up.

I have one of these on my other quad powered rig. Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Temps are within 4 degrees of my water cooled quad at full load. Well worth the 33 bucks they get for them..

Outside of that everything looks pretty reasonable to me.
ccperf721p, Thanks for the advice, I was planning on the 64 bit version of Vista and then bumping this new machine up with 2 more GB's of ram when my brother wanted to. About the second HD, I just looked at the 1TB size of that WesternDigital and though "He'll never fill that.", but now that I think about it a little more, I said that about his 250 GB drive I put in his last computer. He proved me oh so very wrong! The raid array is a very good idea, but just not in his price range at the moment, as is I'm scraping the bottom of his budget, but it does give me a couple of ideas for upgrades in 6 - 8 months. And it gives me some ideas for the system I want to build for my family in a couple of months.

Thanks again.
DK.

Laptop:

AOA Team fah