AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd September, 2008, 01:12 PM

Question Sata advice please

Just what are the main advantages of a sata drive over a pata drive?
I've got plenty of good HDD to use with the new DFI board comming in, but Sata HDD's are pretty cheep if there is a good reason to buy one over useing what I allready have.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2008, 02:43 PM

Main advantage is the size of the cable. Pata is a dying tech so as your pata drives die replace them with sata drives.
Old 22nd September, 2008, 02:43 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

In a nutshell the SATA interface itself has a higher throughput (IE, can move more data in a unit of time) than IDE can. There's also a few performance enhancements within SATA (such as NCQ - native command queueing) that IDE doesn't support.

Of course, look at the performance of the drive mechanism itself - some SATA drives are slower than IDE.
Old 22nd September, 2008, 02:52 PM

From these two responces I don't see a good reason to quit using the drives i have to buy sata drives and use them. It just doesn't seem to be that much better platform. If I had to buy a drive then buy sata but use what I've got.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Last edited by PorPorMe; 22nd September, 2008 at 02:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2008, 04:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'd tend to agree, as long as you have a board that supports IDE!
Old 22nd September, 2008, 04:33 PM
Steve Jobs

Plugging sata power cables into sata data connectors is bad btw.

I has special first hand knowledge of this

And they /do/ fit (to a degree)
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 22nd September, 2008, 08:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Due to the SATA thing, I'm now running both my 4 hard drives and my DVD RW burner off IDE cards. Both my last two Motherboards had but ONE IDE and it was JMicron or Marvell tricky IDE slash Raid. OK sometimes, sometimes Fedora can't even see the drives (DVD Drive and CD )

How much through put speed am I losing fobbing the Drives off to IDE cards?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 22nd September, 2008, 09:10 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
Just what are the main advantages of a sata drive over a pata drive?
I've got plenty of good HDD to use with the new DFI board comming in, but Sata HDD's are pretty cheep if there is a good reason to buy one over useing what I allready have.
I believe the access speed is also a lot faster on Sata drives. So games and apps might load faster.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 22nd September, 2008, 09:57 PM

IDE is being faded out in favor of sata (why in hell is floppy still here!) when it's better but not a great deal better. With one IDE connection and an open PCI slot, I can run a good 40gb 7200rpm HDD for XP Pro and my DVD-burner to run on. Throw in a card and I've got all the storage I need. The Biostar was killing me. It has 2 PCI slots but the video card covers one of them so there is no way to use more than the two IDE connections, the HDD and the Burner. I was useing an 80gb. partitiond 20gb for XP and 60gb for storage. I was running out of room. Both in Xp and in storage. With the DFI board I can add more drives, may the saints be praised!

Old 23rd September, 2008, 01:58 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

SATA also runs each drive on a seperate channel. I have 6 SATA ports on my rig. None of them share the same "channel" IDE has both pri and sec on on channel. I have a friend that runs 4 burners and 2 HDD all SATA. he can burn 4 DVDs at a time. ANd still surf the net. Try that with IDE.
Old 23rd September, 2008, 02:41 AM

Sam, I can honestly say that I have never run into that problem before!
I don't see it cropping up in the near future either, but if it does I'll be sure to get back to you, that is for sure!

Old 23rd September, 2008, 03:23 AM

Even moving data from one drive to another. Because each drive is independent it is much faster. Then take into account the Raptor drives like I have for my OS. A whole different game.
Old 23rd September, 2008, 04:00 AM

There are some advantages to sata, sure. The question I was askinq is there enough to warent not using IDE drives I allready have and buy a sata drive and use it. I have come to the conclusion that the answer is no. The main reason for that is the DFI board. With it I can use more than one IDE drive. I have enough PCI slots to put in an IDE controler card and add more drives. If I was staying with the Biostar the only way I could increase my storage space would be to buy a sata drive. It doesn't make any sence to buy a sata when I can use the IDE drives when Sata doesn't give me a significant upgrade.

Old 23rd September, 2008, 04:55 AM

Just use your IDE drives till they die, then buy some SATA drives.
They'll be really cheap by then & more than likely have SSD Flash HD's going pretty good by then with good storage space at very fast speeds at a good price!
I have a feeling the new drives will eventually be extremely fast which is going to be very cool for overclockers!
Because now the only way you can really get any speed out of SATA drives is in RAID configuration.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 23rd September, 2008 at 04:57 AM.
Old 23rd September, 2008, 09:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm looking to skip Sata drives and hold out for SSD drives to replace my IDE... but things don't always go as planned...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 24th September, 2008, 11:43 AM

How much of a performance hit would there be installing XP on a 5400rpm drive vs a 7200rpm drive?

Old 24th September, 2008, 12:09 PM

You would be amazed. XP may not suffer as much as say a game loading the next map. That is where my 10000 RPM SATA raptor shines. Just seconds till I am back in the midst of battle. I will dig up a few benchmarks i ran if ai can find them.
Old 24th September, 2008, 12:46 PM

OK-It's something I kinda knew but it meant I had to do some HDD arrangeing i didn't want to do.
The only 7400rpm is my 80g. partitioned 20g for XP and 60g for storage. 20g isn't big enough so the easiest way is to add a 40g 5400 and put XP on that. That ain't going to fly.
I knew I'd have to do it the hard way. Move 20g off my 80g onto the 40g and then re-size the partitions on the 80g giveing Xp more room. The hard way!

Old 24th September, 2008, 12:55 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
How much of a performance hit would there be installing XP on a 5400rpm drive vs a 7200rpm drive?
If it were me, I would install XP on the fastest drive I had!!! What good is it having an OCed system with a slow HD?
It's like putting a VW Bug engine in a Corvette.
You also want to move your Pagefile onto a second HD on it's own partition on the front of the drive for best overall results!
This is what I've done with my system. (screenshot on right)

This will give you a visual reference of the speed differences between the two drives.
Of course this is a 7200rpm SATA drive compared to a 5400rpm IDE drive.

What this will mean is slower bootup times & slower access times to programs.

Interested in seeing how yours stack up? See for yourself! HD Tach Download
Attached Thumbnails
Sata advice please-comparison-benchmarks.jpg   Sata advice please-hd-setup.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 24th September, 2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 24th September, 2008, 09:59 PM

Just for the sake of it. THK
Attached Thumbnails
Sata advice please-2008-09-24_164554_hd_benchmark.png  

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah