AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th September, 2008, 05:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yep. only I think it's 13.125 which sometimes changes to 13.250 then won't change back...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2008, 06:25 PM

While on this off topic subject I also have a question...
What is the standard test everyone runs on that to get their score?
Is it 1mb? Thanks.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2008, 06:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

One meg is for speed, 32 for stability.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 29th September, 2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
One meg is for speed, 32 for stability.":O}
Thanks Daniel, I always wondered about that.
Now I wonder no more.
Btw, my speed score is in the 14's.

Yea guys, when I get 4Gbs installed I'll let you know my results.
All I want it for is onboard memory headroom so it doesn't go to pagefile.
I'm not really expecting any performance increase such as faster boot times.
Also, I'm not going to OC my memory any more than what it is now.
The only way I will clock them higher is if I go to 3.60GHz & they come along for the ride.
Btw, the memory I'm running now will do 1000Mhz @ 5-5-5-15 but I see no performance increase by doing this
& as a matter of a fact, my game FPS actually drop by doing this. I don't know why, but I know that they do by testing results.

Last edited by MUff1N; 29th September, 2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 7th October, 2008, 05:14 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
Thanks Daniel, I always wondered about that.
Now I wonder no more.
Btw, my speed score is in the 14's.

Yea guys, when I get 4Gbs installed I'll let you know my results.
All I want it for is onboard memory headroom so it doesn't go to pagefile.
I'm not really expecting any performance increase such as faster boot times.
Also, I'm not going to OC my memory any more than what it is now.
The only way I will clock them higher is if I go to 3.60GHz & they come along for the ride.
Btw, the memory I'm running now will do 1000Mhz @ 5-5-5-15 but I see no performance increase by doing this
& as a matter of a fact, my game FPS actually drop by doing this. I don't know why, but I know that they do by testing results.
I just ordered another set of my memory so when I get it installed I'll let you guys know what the results are.
I hope they're up to par with the memory that's already in there so I don't have to do a bunch of tweaking to make the 4Gbs work.
Yea, I know I should have gone with the 2x2Gbs, but I already had the 2x1Gbs & for $20 to get another pair of them ya can't go wrong!

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Old 8th October, 2008, 10:43 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

A bit late, but never mind. Windows XP (as an OS) can only see a maximum of 4GB of memory. Without any switches, XP (home and pro) will only provide 2GB of memory for applications. Adding the /3GB switch to the bootloader, XP Pro will then allow applications to use up to the 3GB mark, when that application is compiled with the necessary flags.

However, the OS itself will be able to use the upper 1GB of RAM, so all is not lost. I am not sure how the GART mapping works when there's 4GB RAM, presumably you lose a chunk of RAM to it's mapping...
Old 12th October, 2008, 04:19 AM

Got 4 Gigs installed now...

Well, got the additional ram in the mail today & got it installed.
So now I got 4gigs of installed memory with no DOA's or defective between the two I ordered so that's good.
I tested them with memory test and they're good.
BUT, it did effect my OCing.
I was afraid it was going to do this because of slight differences in performance between the two pairs so now I have to do a bunch of testing again to find the right settings to get it back up to 3.5GHz & still be stable with the 4 gigs installed...if that's possible.
So for now I got it back down to 3.30GHz where it's stable again.
I'll see how much patience I have tomorrow for hours of testing...

Oh btw, my system shows that it has 3.25Gbs installed on XP PRO SP3.
You take the good with the bad I suppose.
Yea, it would have been ideal to have 2x2gigs installed, but I already had the 2x1Gbs & for only $20 more got another 2 so I went with that so that's what I godda work with.
Attached Thumbnails
OK, dumb question...well not really so dumb!-image-0.jpg  

Last edited by MUff1N; 12th October, 2008 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12th October, 2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
Well, got the additional ram in the mail today & got it installed.
So now I got 4gigs of installed memory with no DOA's or defective between the two I ordered so that's good.
I tested them with memory test and they're good.
BUT, it did effect my OCing.
I was afraid it was going to do this because of slight differences in performance between the two pairs so now I have to do a bunch of testing again to find the right settings to get it back up to 3.5GHz & still be stable with the 4 gigs installed...if that's possible.
So for now I got it back down to 3.30GHz where it's stable again.
I'll see how much patience I have tomorrow for hours of testing...

Oh btw, my system shows that it has 3.25Gbs installed on XP PRO SP3.
You take the good with the bad I suppose.
Yea, it would have been ideal to have 2x2gigs installed, but I already had the 2x1Gbs & for only $20 more got another 2 so I went with that so that's what I godda work with.
It's nice for me [and the pits for you!] to find out how sensitive the memory is to OC'ing. or vice versa.
I'm glad all I'm going to deal with are my G.Skill 2ghz Kit. Keeps it simple, the way i need it for now!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 12th October, 2008, 02:28 PM

Arrow

Looks like the system is using the 4Gbs of installed memory even if it's only showing 3.25Gbs installed.
I loaded up a game I know (Quake 4) that uses 88% of 2Gbs on Ultra Max settings & now it shows only 40% usage!

Now the gameplay is very smooth too with the extra installed so even if I can't get it clocked as high as I had it before I'm still keeping the 4Gbs installed for video gaming.

I have the feeling that "My" particular mobo doesn't like to be clocked very high with 4Gbs installed though & that this has nothing to do with the memory, but with the mobo.

I'll see today as I do some testing starting from the base I'm at now which is a Very Stable 3.30GHz @ default vcore.

But before I do that I'm going to load up Vista Ultimate SP1 & see how it does with 4gigs & gaming.

Last edited by MUff1N; 12th October, 2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12th October, 2008, 02:46 PM

That should be interesting to find out. It's my understanding It recognizes the 4Ghz, but not use it all, just more than XP? Then it uses more than Xp does.
Do you basicly have the same programs running in the back ground with both OS? Giveing the most leval playing field? Or is that to much to ask for? LOL

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Last edited by PorPorMe; 12th October, 2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12th October, 2008, 04:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I boot to both 2000 pro and Fedora. Fedora makes 3.9 gigs of four gigs available...or seems to. As Thee memory mapping takes place in the Bios I'm completely in the dark as to how much RAM Linux actually can use or if it even uses memory mapping?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 12th October, 2008, 05:51 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
That should be interesting to find out. It's my understanding It recognizes the 4Ghz, but not use it all, just more than XP? Then it uses more than Xp does.
Do you basicly have the same programs running in the back ground with both OS? Giveing the most leval playing field? Or is that to much to ask for? LOL
It does see all for 4Gbs installed & reports it as such, but because it's a 32bit OS it can only address 4Gbs total memory.
This includes the graphics card as well as the shader memory it uses.
This ends up being around 3.25Gbs of RAM memory that can be used for applications & games.
Still better than just 2gigs.

Over all gaming & performance of Vista with 4gigs installed is much better!
That's because the games & applications have more memory to use.
I tested this with Crysis & it plays much smoother overall.
So I'm happy with it...now if I can just get the speed back on the processor I'll be all set!
This is the next thing I'm going to do as soon as I get XP Pro reinstalled from my backup img.
Takes all of 6 minutes to do...
I'll report back later...I'm going to try and relax the timings & see if that does it or not. I hate loosing the tighter timings though.
Attached Thumbnails
OK, dumb question...well not really so dumb!-image-0.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by MUff1N; 12th October, 2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 13th October, 2008, 12:16 AM

Arrow

Well, after hours of fighting with it I was able to get it back up to 3.46GHz, but I have to have the memory timings at 5-5-5-15 for it to be stable.

This I'm not happy with & I don't like that fact that for this amount of OC to be stable I also have to increase the voltage MORE on just about everything with the 4gigs installed.
During all this time while testing I was also reflecting back on when I thought 3.2GHz was really great!

So I'm going to leave it at it's cool & stable 3.30Ghz @ default vcore with no voltage increases to anything with tight timings on the memory happy self.

That's until I get that itch to get it faster again...

But I don't think that will be for a while because my neck, head & back hurt now from doing this...no fun at all!

So now I'm off to play some STALKER Clear Sky & have some fun with my system, which is what it's supposed to be used for anyways!

Last edited by MUff1N; 13th October, 2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 13th October, 2008, 01:43 AM

What were your temps like at 3.46Ghz and the volts up? how high were the volts?

Old 13th October, 2008, 03:49 AM
Member/Contributer

Muffin, with the voltage increases.
Sometimes, a slight increase when you have added more hardware, doesn't exactly mean a voltage increase for the actual hardware.

There are other losses in the system, and the extra RAM + connections have their own resistances. Also, the extra noise in the system created by the extra 2 DIMMs will require a more definitive 0 or 1, where you got away with it before.

As for the 3GB/4GB debate. From memory, the CPU or OS doesn't map the GPU's RAM, only the items BIOS. Its the same for certain sound cards and ethernet cards. The 32bit OS, has 2^32 address lines, and when you look at the number of address lines for each peripheral minus the RAM, depending on the MB you can end up with anything from 2.8GB-3.8GB "usable' RAM.

This POS dell I'm using, has 7 USB root hubs, able to address 255 devices each. Thats 1785 devices + 5 USB hubs.
Add on HDD's, GPU, PCI, RAM, Ethernet, fan controllers, Northbridge, southbridge, etc it comes up to be alot.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 13th October, 2008, 05:24 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
What were your temps like at 3.46Ghz and the volts up? how high were the volts?
Temps are not bad & the vcore was set the same as it was when I had it at 3.50GHz, so both are still in the good range.
BUT, my memory timings have to be set at 5-5-5-15 & I don't like that!
So, I'm now going to be happy with what I got at 3.30 as long as my games play nice and smooth & they do!
So why push it if I don't have to?
The diff between 3.46 & 3.30 is only 5% performance increase on both the CPU & Memory. But the memory latency is More with the looser timings
even though it's clocked a bit higher.
Besides, I've had it clocked pretty high & know how it is so I'm no longer curious about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob View Post
Muffin, with the voltage increases.
Sometimes, a slight increase when you have added more hardware, doesn't exactly mean a voltage increase for the actual hardware.

There are other losses in the system, and the extra RAM + connections have their own resistances. Also, the extra noise in the system created by the extra 2 DIMMs will require a more definitive 0 or 1, where you got away with it before.

As for the 3GB/4GB debate. From memory, the CPU or OS doesn't map the GPU's RAM, only the items BIOS. Its the same for certain sound cards and ethernet cards. The 32bit OS, has 2^32 address lines, and when you look at the number of address lines for each peripheral minus the RAM, depending on the MB you can end up with anything from 2.8GB-3.8GB "usable' RAM.

This POS dell I'm using, has 7 USB root hubs, able to address 255 devices each. Thats 1785 devices + 5 USB hubs.
Add on HDD's, GPU, PCI, RAM, Ethernet, fan controllers, Northbridge, southbridge, etc it comes up to be alot.
I took the voltage thing into consideration already, but that's not the point...as I said already as long as games play nice & smooth I'm happy with it.
Now, this will change when I get a new mobo & CPU, but for now I'm good.

Looks like yet another view on the memory thing & how exactly it's used by a 32bit OS.
No matter...because the end result is that my games seem to have twice the amount of memory to work with (Percentage usage in games is half of what it used to be), so they will stay in the ram now and not be dumped off onto the pagefile once it goes passed the 2gig limit it had before.
End result is smooth gameplay...

All in all when you look at the big picture, I've got a decent gaming machine with a decent safe & stable midrange OC (24%) on it for a bit of a performance edge. So I'm good for now.

Last final point: My temps are just stupid low now & this is with C1E & EIST disabled still..
Attached Thumbnails
OK, dumb question...well not really so dumb!-core-temp-3.30ghz-idle-temps.jpg   OK, dumb question...well not really so dumb!-speedfan-3.30-idle-temps.jpg  

Last edited by MUff1N; 14th October, 2008 at 05:07 PM.