AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th October, 2008, 02:02 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Green LCD flashes red in sets of three?

After spending two hours updating my AV and Anti-spyware progs and scanning the HDD of my Dell Inspiron B130 laptop, all the while plugged in to mains power, things got weird. Soon after reaching 100% charged up, the green LCD that normally blinks red when the battery gets quite low started blinking red three times, turning green for one flash, and then three blinks of red, to green once, etc. The machine sat unused for four months. Unplugging the mains power made it stop acting strange, but connecting it to power made it continue with its confusing unsettling red flashes.

Anyone have a clue? Much thanks!
Old 8th October, 2008, 04:03 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Take the battery out and try to power it up.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th October, 2008, 11:04 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Like Robbie says, try removing the battery and then re-inserting it.
Old 9th October, 2008, 07:31 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

With the battery removed, plugging in to mains power runs the machine fine, with no weird red and green flashes from the aforementioned LCD. The red and green fiesta is displayed when running on the battery only, or with the battery in place while plugged in to the wall socket. Further suggestions would be very nice, thanks!
Old 9th October, 2008, 08:46 PM

New battery, perhaps????

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th October, 2008, 09:01 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

~$135 from Dell, plus 1 to 2 weeks delivery. Should have known that it wouldn't be reasonable! Anyone know if I can get the battery elsewhere? I'm well out of warranty, fwiw.
Oh yeah, the normally green LCD flashes: one green, FOUR reds, then one green, four times red, one green, yada. Not three reds as formerly posted. Thanks for the answers, y'all! More suggestions would be great.
Old 9th October, 2008, 09:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

there are plenty of after market battery sellers on the net. i have used a few in the states. much more reasonable prices.
Old 10th October, 2008, 06:37 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thanks Sam. So brand x batteries are just as good as Dell's?
Old 10th October, 2008, 11:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Pretty much. I have never had an issue with them. HP or any other replacement I have done either.
Old 10th October, 2008, 11:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
Thanks Sam. So brand x batteries are just as good as Dell's?
Without knowing the exact model of the UPS, I can't tell you with certainty what battery pack you'll need. However, we have an outfit here called 'Battery Outfitters'. They specialize in selling batteries of all types: cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers, fork lifts, you name it. I'm sure you can find a similar outfit around your area. Take them the UPS, and they will be able to provide you with a battery pack that will fit.

Alternatively, if you can figure out how to get the battery pack out yourself, you can remove it and take them just the battery pack.
Old 11th October, 2008, 02:59 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Looks like the laptop will be sans battery for a while. It's always something, written for the seven hundredth time, LOL!
Old 11th October, 2008, 04:19 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
~$135 from Dell, plus 1 to 2 weeks delivery. Should have known that it wouldn't be reasonable! Anyone know if I can get the battery elsewhere? I'm well out of warranty, fwiw.
Oh yeah, the normally green LCD flashes: one green, FOUR reds, then one green, four times red, one green, yada. Not three reds as formerly posted. Thanks for the answers, y'all! More suggestions would be great.
Laptop batteries and parts for Dell, HP, Compaq, Toshiba, Sony, IBM, and Lenovo. Laptop battery, lcd screen and hard drive store. Talk with Creig, (ext 123) tell him Rob Rodgers sent you.

I found it on there site for $69.
Link.
AOA Team fah
Old 11th October, 2008, 11:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you, Rob! Bookmarked the site. I have to wait until Mr Eagle flies again--always something! BTW, is there anything wrong with running the laptop on mains power, without the battery in it? Prolly dumb Q, sorry.
Old 11th October, 2008, 11:55 PM
AOA Staff

NP George, I've know Creig for at least 10 years (if not longer) He can hook ya up and help ya out.

Not really. But there IS a problem if you NEVER run you laptop on the battery. Basically the battery DOES need some excersize every now and then.

Try this, power on your laptop with the battery in, and then pull the power cord. The laptop will probably die right away. Plug back in let me completely charge back up and do it again. After about 10 times (maybe more) the laptop might stay on for a second or two. Keep doing this till the laptop stays on for a long time.

I've done this on my old Compaq laptop and it worked great. Took me over the weekend to do it but it did work.

Now with yours... your battery might just be sooo far gone it won't work.
AOA Team fah
Old 12th October, 2008, 08:13 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The software "charge meter" says that the battery is at 100%. Confusing, at least for me. Thanks for your help!
Old 12th October, 2008, 11:32 PM
AOA Staff

Yeah, but I don't know if that is based on current or voltage. ( probably voltage) It's the sustained current ya want though. ( as well as voltage)
AOA Team fah