AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th October, 2008, 03:10 PM

IDE controller set up

Ive got a new controller so I can have a separate drive as the board will only give me 2 IDE devices. I want to set my drives up right before I start with the soft ware install.
The card is predatory, It wants to be the primary channel. My first install of the card, I used both of It's channels and the one on th board. I quickly saw what a nightmare that was going to be.
Anyway, my intuition tells me that data transfer is going to be slower through the card than through the board. This is what I'm thinking and wanted to hear from some of you.
I'll put the two hard drives on the boards IDE as Primary master & slave. Then I'll put my DVD burner on the card wherever I can get it accept as a secondary without conflict with the HDD's.
Would that be the right set up?

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2008, 03:55 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

What's the interface type on the board - is it PCI or PCIe? If the motherboard is an older motherboard, the IDE controller is probably already on the PCI bus, so there isn't any speed difference between onboard and add-in. On newer boards, the IDE controller has a fast link into the chipset, making onboard faster.

Can you configure the add-in controller to be the second or third IDE controller in the system? It might be jumpers!
Old 29th October, 2008, 04:33 PM

It's PCI and while there is a disk, mini, no manual'
There are 2 jumpers, open, 1 at each channel connection labeled LED1 & 2.
Silscreened on the board is:
J:1 Primmary IDE
J:2 Secondary IDE
JP1: IDE Out/Raid in
JP2: BA5 Enable/Disable

I find no JP 1 or 2

Edit:
Then I should either turn it arround, Put both HDD's on the card-put DVD on card as well? ! Make it easy.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Last edited by PorPorMe; 29th October, 2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Question
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2008, 05:20 PM

No jumpers Sounds like the board is hardwired to always be the primary/secondary IDE controller then.

Technically the fastest setup is to ensure the each channel only has one drive on it. However, that's not possible for your setup. The reason is that when the system is accessing the first hard disk on an IDE interface(port), it can't talk to the second one until the first has finished, and vice versa. However, each IDE port can be talked to at the same time.
Old 29th October, 2008, 05:38 PM

Thanks, Aedan.
I'll put everything on the card so nothing-mostley me, is having to struggle.

Old 29th October, 2008, 09:56 PM

There is no struggle he says. Right! Wrong! After setting it up, the HDD will boot, but if you put a DVD or CD on the controller it won't boot. That took a while to figure out.
OK, I remove the primairy from the card and use the board, It won;t post. I remove the contriller and it goes thru post and bios right to a cursor and stops. I think I know what that is though. I think the board is picky on how the drives are set up. I think they are master/slave now. Will try cable select.

Old 30th October, 2008, 09:32 AM

You may also have problems with the IDE ports on the board and the IDE ports on the card trying to operate at the same time. If that's the case, you can try disabling the onboard IDE port to see if that helps to clear stuff up.
Old 30th October, 2008, 12:50 PM

I'm haveing problems alright! I've done somethig wrong, something simple, but finding it is been a pain!
I just trying to set up a primary chanenel for now.
That one has The WD 160Gb HDD and the Sony DVD Burner. The HDD is formatted. If I put this on the mobo;s channel, when it comes time for cd to boot, it stops at the cursor. Thats as far a s it goes. THat's either CS or Master/slave.
Transfer same to primiary on controler card and when it get's to boot from CD it reads.

CDBOOT: couldn't find NTLDR
NTLDR is missing
Press ctrl +alt_+ del

The same for a couple of boot disks.

How do I dissable the IDE channel on thr board?

Old 30th October, 2008, 01:03 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

It should be in the bios.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 30th October, 2008, 01:42 PM

I went thru the bios and then th manual, I don;t find anything. I'll try agian after breakfast

Old 30th October, 2008, 02:55 PM

It's also possible that the manufacturer didn't include any way to turn the IDE interfaces off - which would be really annoying!
Old 30th October, 2008, 03:07 PM

The IDE controller is under advanced -> onboard device config -> (not sure whether it is labeled as Marvell IDE or just IDE)
Old 30th October, 2008, 04:35 PM

it still won't read it says the NTLDR is missing

Old 30th October, 2008, 04:51 PM

Problem solved! I put a different controller card in and xp booted right up!
Now to go back and engage all the items I dissengaged in cmos and hope it continues. I have a secondiary channel as well!
Thanks guys for sticking with me on this-the support was greatly needed and appreceated! The beers are on me! Limit robbie to one will ya? His ticker might not like any more!

Old 30th October, 2008, 08:56 PM

Me speaketh to soon. the DVD now boots but stops the XP Pro install at the same point tree times now.
I took the HDD and Installed XP on this rig and plugged it in to the Asus. It goes into a boot loop. Boots to safe mode and no mater the choice it reboots.
Going back ti one channel on board, it will Boot as far as DVD and stops with cursor in left upper corner.

Edit:
Mareen has to go to the Doc's, later

Last edited by PorPorMe; 30th October, 2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Doc's
Old 31st October, 2008, 12:04 AM

Back from Docs. I put the HDD and DVD on the secondiary channel.

The bios of th card recognises drives, XP starts install and stops when Setup is starting Windows.
Edit:
I went to remove my install disk and it looks like power has been cut tu thr DVD! I push the eject button and nothing happons. no light, no spin, no eject , nothing.
I just got a BSOD.

Bios doesn't recognise the DVD in this setup.
I need some other thoughts guys! WHY can't I get the on board channel to behave? I've cleared cmos. booted back in and loaded defaults .Changed only the boot order. re boot and Dvd won't boot. What is wrong?

Last edited by PorPorMe; 31st October, 2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 31st October, 2008, 02:13 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

What kinda power supply do you have on the box?
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 31st October, 2008, 04:56 AM

It's in my sig, robbie.
Another new development that has some of the aspects of the old board.
It stopped recognizing the 160GB in most situations. the controller didn't have to much problem but the bios never.
I ran a diagnostic disk and it started to load and quit but left clues! Physical media read error Drive A.
Well, that has to be the hard drive, an know I remember the same thing happening with the other board. Corrupted my 80gb, any time I put that drive into a computer, it would cause big problems. the computer wouldn't read it, even as a slave and sometimes wouldn't boot with it attached, Same is happening again. By the way, the 80G cleared it self up. I later ran full WD Diagnostics on it without a single problem.
I pulled the 160GB and put it as a slave on this box and boot Hirens boot CD. Part way into loading it shows a cursor and stops. I unplug the cable from the 160GB and the CD continues to load. I plug in the drive again but I'm not that lucky. It's not in memory any more.
Just like the old board, I've tried 2 More drives that arn't recognized.. I'm going to clear CMOS-pull the battery, unplug it, remove the memory, and let it sit for the night and in the morning I'll give it the honorary first piss of the day! Just to get it's electrons flowing!

What is you thinking about the PSU? ccp said it would do nicely. I do suspect that adding th 9600GT puts a bit of a strain in it but that's not the case now-nore was it the last time.

Old 31st October, 2008, 06:03 PM

I didn't even make an attempt this morning. Called Newegg and got a RMA # right over the phone for a refund.
Lets see where I stand. I bought this great Asus motherboard for a bargian price of $102
It's bad so it goes back RMA, Costs me $20 and 2weeks time waiting for a replacement. Bottom line is now my bargian has cost me $120.
New board arrives, It fails Got RMA #. It;s going to cost #20 to ship and I'm not getting the same board agian! So I get a refund of which they charge 15%. (roughly $15)
Bottom line now is the great $100 bargian has cost me $155 and I don't have a motherboard, I'm going to have a check for $ 85.

Ain't life grand.