AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th November, 2008, 12:56 AM

Wireing color code question

I have a number of fans with odball connectors and wire color codes. I want to cut off the connector and splice on a 3 pin connector.
The fan wires are black, yellow, and green.
Regular fans are black, red, and yellow.
Logic would tell me that that's simple-Blk to Blk-Ylw to Ylw-and Grn to Red.
Higher caution says check with someone who knows befor you do someting stupid!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th November, 2008, 05:43 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Don't count on it being that simple. A better approach (if you can) would be to compare the colors of the wires on the suspect connector with the colors of the wires in the same pin positions on a connector with the proper color codes.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th November, 2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Don't count on it being that simple. A better approach (if you can) would be to compare the colors of the wires on the suspect connector with the colors of the wires in the same pin positions on a connector with the proper color codes.
That would make a litle bit of sence, and an obvious one.You'll have to forgive me, I think I'm a little gunshy when it comes to taking a risk with a motherboard

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 17th November, 2008, 10:55 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I wonder if connecting this unorthodoxly colored fan's leads to a 'Molex' connector is safer than plugging it in to your mainboard? Either way, I'd be nervous. "Green?" WTF? Maybe it's better to leave this fan out of the computering game?
Old 18th November, 2008, 03:32 AM

I didn't even think of going molex. I did wire them 3pin and plugged them in. [2] Nothing. They came out of two Compaq servers and I would realy like to see the air flow out of them. One is 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 1 1/2 and a 3 blade impeller. The other is 3 1/2 x 3 12 x 1 1/2 and a 5 blade impeller. Theese buggers are thick, with any kind of RPM, they should move some serious air. I'll try a serial number search next-see what I can see.

Old 18th November, 2008, 05:50 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
They came out of two Compaq servers and I would realy like to see the air flow out of them.
Oh bugger. I think the last time Compaq made anything that conformed any standards but theirs, the Pope died.

Well, lookit. Fortunately for you, this is pretty straight-forward. Plugging the fans in backwards won't kill anything, and getting the wiring wrong will just prevent them from working.

So here's what you do. Take one of the spare drive connectors or something from the PSU, and start hooking up wires on the fan to common and +12 on the PSU until the fans spin. That'll tell you where power goes, and what's left is the sense lead.
Old 18th November, 2008, 06:19 AM

If I'm reading you corectly, connect black to black (molex) and then touch wires to see what makes it spin up.

Old 18th November, 2008, 04:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

With Compaq, who knows? The black wire could be the sense lead.

But yeah, the basic idea is to connect different combinations of wires until the thing spins.
Old 18th November, 2008, 10:16 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I wonder if it's possible that these monstro fans were powered by AC? Just a thought.
Old 18th November, 2008, 10:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Highly unlikely, IMO.
Old 19th November, 2008, 02:17 AM

Molex and the old hit or miss method did the trick.
From fhe fan:
Black to black
Red to yellow---and it spins up
That leaves fans blue to molex red. Any reason that should be hooked up-with molex?

Old 19th November, 2008, 07:10 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

The blue wire is a sense lead for RPM detectors and the like. Since the red wire on the molex is +5v, it's pointless to hook it up.
Old 19th November, 2008, 07:20 AM

Another problem put to rest and something learner in the process-not a bad day.
Thanks guys.