AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th April, 2009, 11:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

new technology for the klingon

so, i was playing wow, and realized that i need a bigger hard drive. (last patch was 3gigs) and i only had a 40gig that Windows, Wow and a various handful of other bits of software were installed on, and a 100giger with Sims2 and personal files. So i went out to buy a new HDD today.

I got a sata drive. my very First sata drive. and i realized that it's more difficult to install a sata drive than it is an IDE. (particularly as it was new tech when i stopped really stopped learning in school) So, the details of my rig (as i'm sure you're curious about, and as it'd probably be helpful, some bits at least)

P4 3ghz, 1gig DDR1 Ram, Nvidea GeForce 6200a AGP (first AGP vid card ever for me, less than a week or two old) a nice new LG DVD-+RW, a Maxtor 100gig HDD, with a smaller 40gig HDD. Soundblaster live! 24bit PCI, the Mobo however... i'm not exactly sure the model anymore... nor does PC Wizard or CPUZ. it's just coming up as a springdale model, and no manufacturer. the Mobo Driver CD doesn't specify what model or manufacturer the mobo is either. (doesn't have any options for Sata drivers on the disc btw)

but i do indeed have a sata port on the mobo, bios notices the new sata drive, but when i finish booting to Windows XP, it doesn't show up in My Computer.

so, this poor klingon needs help getting his new toy to work

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2009, 03:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

so, i've been doing more research on this matter. and it appears i need 3rd party drivers (as for some strange reason XP doesn't have them :/ ) This link takes you to a picture of the mobo and tells you the model name, but nay be telling the manufacuturer, Motherboard LS-865GM-L Manufacturer exporting direct from China the Seagate site (which my HDD is made by) suggested Abit USA, ASUS, and MSI for onboard SATA ports, however since my mobo's not any of those brands... i'm doubtful of their compatability. I've yet to find any generic drivers for Sata onboard. So if you could point me in the right direction, i'd be much appreciative

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2009, 05:39 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

SATA drives should be easier to install than IDE. There aren't any configurations to worry about, no jumpers, no masters and slaves, etc.

In XP, go to disk management. You can right click My Computer and choose manage>disk management. Does the drives show up there as unallotted space, or something to that effect? You have to instruct Windows to create a partition in the space. You may have to reboot. After Windows does its thing you get some messages that it is seeing a generic disk volume and is installing it, then something else about a logical drive, or something like that.

I'm doing this from memory, but it should be about right.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 16th April, 2009, 06:30 AM

hm, never knew about the manage function. however when following your directions, the disk management doesn't even notice any of my hard drives, merely my DVD burner.

i've been researching sata, and discovered it's based from the southbridge chipset, and i discovered mine to be an intel 82801EB (ICH5) chipset. so i downloaded and installed the drivers for that from Intel IntelĀ® Desktop Board D865PERC - Driver Updates however, after it rebooted after installing them, i still didn't see it at all.

Old 16th April, 2009, 02:10 PM

Are you logged in as the administrator?

I can't think of any reason why none of your drives are showing up in disk management. Do you mean your IDE drives as well?
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Old 16th April, 2009, 03:42 PM

i just tried logging in as administrator, and still didn't see any drives other than my DVD burner, so no IDE Hard drives or Sata drives at all appeared

Old 16th April, 2009, 05:21 PM

okay, an update here. when i go into my computer, right click and go to properties on any of the drives, ie my two ide hdds, and my DVD burner, the sata(n) drive appears in the hardware tab, but not in the hardware devices or disk manager. i finally scrounged out a floppy drive (had to even hunt down a special 4 pin to floppy drive power cable as my current PSU didn't have a plug, as some sites said that you need to install sata via floppy drive during installation of windows.

Old 16th April, 2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincurran View Post
...as some sites said that you need to install sata via floppy drive during installation of windows.
I have never had to do that - and I have been using SATA drives for years. The only drivers that I have had to install during installation are RAID drivers - You do this with F6 in the first stage of windows installation.

I have to believe that you should be looking into the BIOS settings. I would bet that something there isn't set properly. Could you post some screenshots of the first several pages of the BIOS, with the drive information? You'll have to do it with a digital camera, or you could type the settings into the post as an alternative.

Old 16th April, 2009, 09:04 PM

i just got frustrated with it, ripped out the ide hdds, and forced it to deal with the sata, and just did a fresh install of winXP, i'll deal with putting the IDE HDDs back in when the Win XP install is stable on the Sata drive. Probably just the 100giger as 40's gonna seem a drop in the ocean now. lol

Old 17th April, 2009, 02:30 AM

Does disk management see the SATA drive now?

Old 17th April, 2009, 03:15 AM

it does indeed, it sees both the Sata Drive and the DVD burner (which are the only drives in it right now)

Old 17th April, 2009, 06:15 AM

Good to hear it's working now.

Sounds like a conflict with running both IDE and SATA concurrently for some reason. If you don't really need the space, I'd just stay with the SATA drive and add another later.

Old 17th April, 2009, 06:18 AM

aye, that's the new plan, though i'm still confused as to why the IDE DVD burner isn't giving any probs when one of the HDDs was on the same cable as it. :/

Old 17th April, 2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincurran View Post
aye, that's the new plan, though i'm still confused as to why the IDE DVD burner isn't giving any probs when one of the HDDs was on the same cable as it. :/
You never told me that

It's never recommended to put hard drives on the same IDE channel as optical drives, for a few reasons-performance being one. The hard drives would be very limited running there. That's why most boards used to have 2 IDE channels. You put your hard drives on one channel, as master and slave, and your optical drives on the other, the same way.

Many boards now are only putting one IDE channel, presumably for optical drives. Most new computers have SATA hard drives, and so they don't need the second IDE channel.

My main rig has 6 SATA ports, 2 eSATA ports, and only one IDE channel, and I don't even use it - I have a SATA DVD drive

Old 18th April, 2009, 07:50 PM

wow, i've only got 3PCI, 1AGP, 2 Sata, 2IDE, and a floppy drive port.

Old 19th April, 2009, 12:29 AM

Arrow

All SATA drives here too.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Old 21st April, 2009, 04:22 PM

i've always been a few technological updates behind. :/

Old 21st April, 2009, 06:39 PM

New mainboard = good idea I think

Old 21st April, 2009, 06:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Add on cards! You can get add on's that do...just about anything! ":O}

I use two PCI cards to give me IDE ports for my older drives, One PCI card that gives me E-SATA (external drive for Sata)....

This may not be the way for you...but saved my ass lots of money! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 21st April, 2009, 07:12 PM

this is new mainboard! well for me it is. not so much for the overall computing world. :/ first mobo with an AGP slot!