AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th August, 2009, 05:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

SSD Stackup

VR-Zone take some SSDs and put them to the test:

Our article today focuses on flash-based solid state drives (hereafter referred to as SSDs for simplicity). Specifically, we will be looking at those in the 2.5" form factor. SSDs are essentially many flash devices connected to and managed by a controller chip, which then presents this to the system as a typical storage device.

Read more on the Front Page:
AOA - SSD Stackup
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August, 2009, 11:20 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR-Zone
After thousands of erase-write cycles, flash memory eventually loses its ability to hold data. This is going to take at many years even under extreme usage conditions, which renders it nowhere near as significant as the above issue.
Many years? Depends on the vendor - I've killed on in less than six months before...
Old 20th August, 2009, 06:42 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Ouch ~$400 gone in six months? I'll stay behind the leading edge here. Dunno if "JMicron" means Micron Memory, if so, get your act together, please.
Old 21st August, 2009, 09:46 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

As far as I can see, JMicron and Micron have no connection to each other.
Old 21st August, 2009, 06:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

In everyday use, how big an advantage do these drives offer over a Good SATA drive?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd August, 2009, 07:21 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

AFAIK, the SSD's are not as fast as you'd think. Or at least that was the case. In fact way back when they were new tech, at least one brand of them were slower than SATA drives. Their great attraction, for those who can afford them, is that they have no moving parts.
The good thing about them is that when they were theoretical hardware just a few years ago, they were projected to cost thousands. Many, many thousands. The up to date ones are pretty fast, AFAIK.
Old 23rd August, 2009, 12:27 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks George! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 23rd August, 2009, 03:08 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

In Random Access Time the SSD's rule ~.01-.02 ms vs. ~6.9 ms for a old fashioned crankin' HDD. In nearly all other performance measurements, a WD 300 Gb Velociraptor pretty much prevails. Sigh. Unless you really need to avoid the power drain, heat and tehpocketa-pocketa of an old fashioned HDD...

This isn't a learned dissertation, just from a review on PCper.
Old 23rd August, 2009, 04:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

I bought an early OCZ SSD, which worked really well in terms on battery life in my notebook. However, the 160GB SATA drive I removed was much faster. I ended up swapping back after about a month.

It was only a MLC drive, so attempting to read and write at the same time, huge slow downs.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 23rd August, 2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
In Random Access Time the SSD's rule ~.01-.02 ms vs. ~6.9 ms for a old fashioned crankin' HDD. In nearly all other performance measurements, a WD 300 Gb Velociraptor pretty much prevails. Sigh. Unless you really need to avoid the power drain, heat and tehpocketa-pocketa of an old fashioned HDD...

This isn't a learned dissertation, just from a review on PCper.
I think ~6.9 is a very optimistic estimate. Unless we are talking WD VelociRaptor than that number is right on taking the average between Read Access Time and Write Access Time. Otherwise for fast 1TB drives I've been looking at ~13ms.

What I find really fascinating is the differences between Read and Write because it depends on whats important:
Sequential R/W
Random R/W

Then the Access Time.

Now you have the 3.5" SSD's coming out. Performance specs on those are very very sweet.

I would say it is a waste of money to buy anything lower then 120GB SSD. I say this because of the cost per gigabyte and because of the 64 MByte cache which seems to be the norm in the fast SSD's.

Last edited by ShawnP; 23rd August, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 24th August, 2009, 03:04 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

A couple of guys at work (IT) and myself have really wanted to try and play with some of this SSD stuff. Who knows... maybe with a new build that I "hope" too do soon.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 30th August, 2009, 08:08 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Im soo overdue to build a new ox, er, box. Yet the financial sitch gives me great pause. I don't need modern speed. My guess is that once you have current tech, you then consider old to be very slow indeed.

Tags
disk , flash , solid-state , ssd , storage