AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd April, 2002, 06:06 AM

RAID 0 question

Ok, I'm planning to try a RAID setup and need any advice that you guys got to offer???

Option 1 : RAID 0 w/ 2 20gig 5400rpm drives

Option 2 : RAID 0 w/ 2 20gig 7200rpm drives

Think its worth it to purchase 2 7200rpm drives for a RAID 0 setup???

Last edited by JayJay; 23rd April, 2002 at 06:09 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd April, 2002, 07:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

although i think 2x20's are a bit small, the 7200's would make a big difference.
Old 23rd April, 2002, 11:10 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

That all depends on how much performance you want! Either will work. Stripe size also makes a big difference, so you need to know the types of access you'll be using.

AidanII
Old 23rd April, 2002, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
That all depends on how much performance you want! Either will work. Stripe size also makes a big difference, so you need to know the types of access you'll be using.

AidanII
Oh ok

Well, All I want is to just try out RAID for the first time really. Just experiment and see for myself what the pros and cons are. Both performance wise and setup wise.

Was definitely hoping that the performance will be faster than a single 7200rpm drive. It is faster right??? Is it faster than a 10,000rpm SCSI drive????

And, was plannin on getting a Epox 8K3A/+. Will it affect my overclock if I get the board with on board RAID or not?? In other words, is it better to use a PCI RAID card or a on-board RAID chip while overclocking???

Thanks guys.
Old 23rd April, 2002, 04:45 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JayJay
Well, All I want is to just try out RAID for the first time really. Just experiment and see for myself what the pros and cons are. Both performance wise and setup wise.

Was definitely hoping that the performance will be faster than a single 7200rpm drive. It is faster right??? Is it faster than a 10,000rpm SCSI drive????
A RAID 0 system with two IDE HDDs will be able to transfer data faster than a single IDE HDD, assuming everything else is equal. The seek times will remain the same.

A RAID 0 system with two IDE HDDs against a single 15KRPM SCSI drive is more difficult to predict. Currently, the best average IDE seek time I know of is from an IBM 60GXP. That's 12.3ms. The best average SCSI seek time I know of is from a Fujitsu MAM3367/Seagate Cheetah X15. That's 5.9ms.

Reading from sectors scattered over the disk, the single SCSI drive will leave the IDE RAID system behind, regardless of how many disks you have in it. This is simply because the SCSI system takes half the time finding the sectors that the IDE system does.

The same system in raw transfer speed - the IDE RAID system would be slightly faster than the SCSI drive, but not by much. A single 60GXP is about 64% of the raw transfer speed of a Cheetah X15. I don't know how much of an overhead the RAID system puts on the drives, but there will be a slight reduction.

Put those two together, and the SCSI will wipe the floor with the IDE RAID in terms of access times. The IDE RAID will do rather well for raw transfer speeds. Take your pick!

Incidently, SCSI drives have far lower CPU utilisation than IDE drives do. Running at 10,000 IO requests a second, the MAM3367 uses 19.1%. The WD1200JB manages 42% and the 60GXP manages 41.6%.

Take your pick! It's all swings and roundabouts. SCSI drives do very well in MULTIUSER scenarios, and not so well in single user scenarios. IDE does very well in single user scenarios, and very badly in multiuser scenarios.

** For those who want to know why I didn't use the WD1200JB drive - it's access time isn't so hot (13.5ms), but it's raw transfer speed is darn good(80% of X15).

AidanII
Old 24th April, 2002, 06:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I have the Epox 8k3a+ and love it- i have 2x80gig- normal- 2x 30gig 2x 20gig (just to test it- i only use the 80gigs-) i striped the 30's and the 20's in to 2 drives instead of 4- and i get alot faster access time then i did- aidan II is correct- scsi will work alot faster and alot cleaner- and alot longer- these are mainly used for servers and high end workstations- but for home use- i think the 2x 20's for testing are fine (7200) I am not sure how a pci raid controller scsi or ide is affected by overclocking- but it could be just like some nics- they will only take so much before they throw the whole system off-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2002, 03:43 PM

question

When selecting block sizes on the raid what is the best choice? That is in regards to speed.
Old 19th May, 2002, 12:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to DJ2000

I was in your boat this time last year experimenting with IDE RAID only because the MB I bought had a Promise controller on it.
At the time I was running a single Atlas 10 III SCSI drive with an Adaptec 29160 controller on a separate computer. My conclusion: I ended up staying with my Atlas 10K SCSI system. Although I was initially impressed with the RAID setup, (I was running RAID 0 with 8K stripe on 2 IBM 60 GXP's) I was less than comfortable with the access times, CPU utilization,( this get quite high the smaller the stripe you use i.e. 64k vs 8k), and the risk of data loss using RAID 0 and having a HD failure.
My SCSI system was by far and away visibly faster retrieving cached web pages and other files. Just a superior system in that respect.
My next step in achieving the ultimate HD performance was going to a SCSI based RAID system which would totally rock , however after months of researching the latest RAID cards from Adaptec and Myelex etc, the price of this type of hardward could never be justified in my mind. Very expensive, even on Ebay.
Anyway good luck. IDE RAID is OK but SCSI rules..........
512 Crucial 2100 DDR @150Mhz
Coolermaster fan
PCPOWERANDCOOLING Turbo cool 300 ATX PS
ALL SCSI Drives
GeForce 2 MX
Win XP Corporate Pro NTFS
Rock Solid !!