AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th October, 2009, 12:23 AM
AOA Staff

Sony to demo 360-degree 3D display

See front page news...
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/c...d-display.html

Comments?
Old 22nd October, 2009, 08:04 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Maybe great things will come from this eventually. I doubt that Sony expects to sell a lot of these.
Old 22nd October, 2009, 09:29 PM

It's a great first step towards commercializing hologram/3-D technology. It's been around for a little while now but I haven't seen any plans to mass manufacture anything until this. Would be great to design something in AutoCad and be able to look at everything in 3-D.
  • Seagate 1TB 5900RPM
  • ASUS GTS250 512MB
  • 600W Silverstone ST60F
  • Hauppauge Win-TV 1600
  • Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
  • 14" HP DV-2416US Laptop
  • AMD Turion X2 1.8Ghz
  • 120Gb
  • 2Gb
  • Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
  • *Soon*
  • Verizon/Motorola/Google DROID
  • Google Voice
  • Android 2.0

Last edited by jacksonwalters; 22nd October, 2009 at 09:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd October, 2009, 12:09 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

This looks like it's a volumetric display. Volumetric displays work by sweeping a 2D display across a 3D space, and using persistence of vision. For instance, some displays work with a rotating display panel that shows a 'slice' of the 3D image for a particular position. Other volumetric displays work by having a number of "planes" which they can display a 2D picture on. One Japanese design works by generating plasma balls in mid-air by focusing a high power laser at the point in the air where a voxel is required!

As far as commercial designs, there's ones like the Perspecta Volumetric 3D Display-, or DepthCube z1024 or Technest - Displays for 3D Imaging.

The biggest problem is managing the amount of data that's needed to keep the display running. Rather than use pixels, these displays use voxels. It's basically the same idea, but in 3D space rather than 2D space. Graphics cards are really going to need to speed up to manage 3D displays!

For example, the DepthCube manages 15.3 million voxels, which would be similar to running your graphics card at a resolution 5000x2925 pixels. Actuality's display runs at about 116million voxels, which would be similar to running your graphics card at a resolution of 14000x8000!

Sony haven't given the whole resolution of their device. We know that whatever is scanning the display has a resolution of 96 × 128. That doesn't tell us how many slices of 96x128 it can display. If I assume it can manage 90 slices, then it can manage a resolution of 1.1 million voxels (96x128x90)
Old 23rd October, 2009, 08:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Voxels as in "volumetric?"
Old 26th October, 2009, 01:12 PM

Yup, you're on the right track.
Old 26th October, 2009, 09:17 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Persistence of vision sounds like cheating to me. But one may well ask: how the hell do you know, c?
Thanks for the assistance, Aedan!
Old 27th October, 2009, 12:09 PM

Lots of things use persistence of vision including CRTs, fluorescent tubes (standard and "energy saving" bulbs), cinema, plasma displays and lots more!
Old 27th October, 2009, 12:34 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Yeah George persisting vision I think its like when I see an amazing looking babe and as I turn my head back I still have her image on my retina !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2009, 02:02 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
Yeah George persisting vision I think its like when I see an amazing looking babe and as I turn my head back I still have her image on my retina !
Followed by a close inspection of a lamp post?
Old 27th October, 2009, 02:25 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
Followed by a close inspection of a lamp post?
Don't tell me you saw me!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Tags
3d display , sony