AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd November, 2009, 07:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Is The Desktop PC Doomed?

Written by Daniel
Monday, 02 November 2009 18:01

The rise of Web-based apps, virtualization, and a crop of powerful mobile devices have the traditional PC desktop on the run.

Well, is it? If all the buzzwords about cloud computing, Web apps, software as a service (SaaS), the free desktop, and the rise of netbooks and tablet PCs, are to be believed, it may well be. [Front page...]
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd November, 2009, 03:39 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

The desktop hasn't left, nor will it leave...as I said many years ago, it's future lies asa central data server. We can already find such ATOM-powered boxes on the market today...yesterday's desktop computing power, relegated to serving files.

See here, from February 2009:

World's First 4-Bay Intel Atom NAS From QNAP | VR-Zone | Gadgets | PC Enthusiasts

Intel unveils its micro server platform - V3.co.uk - formerly vnunet.com
Old 3rd November, 2009, 02:08 PM
Steve Jobs

With how much more I use my iPhone than my desktop and laptop these days, I'm starting to wonder if I need that many computers. Main purpose for the quadcore at the moment is streaming movies to the PS3 upstairs, which is a bit... underwhelming for a 3.46Ghz C2Q.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th November, 2009, 03:15 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I don't think it's doomed by any stretch of the imagination. It's days as the be-all and end-all of computing are rapidly coming to a close though.
Old 4th November, 2009, 03:24 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

You'll have to pry mine from my cold dead hands... I think I borrowed that one":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th November, 2009, 03:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
You'll have to pry mine from my cold dead hands... I think I borrowed that one":O}
I'm with ya Daniel.
Old 8th November, 2009, 08:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to candle_86 Send a message via Yahoo to candle_86

not so long as gamers buy computers, laptops cant have the best parts, and games on a PDA or Iphone suck. The day the desktop vanish's is the day I soak myself in gasoline and light a match.
Old 8th November, 2009, 08:37 AM

Make sure you go Green! Low test with ethynol mix.)

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 8th November, 2009, 05:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

That article didn't go in the direction I thought it would. What I see happening is that desktop computers have become unfashionable. Many people buy laptops because they like the size, and the idea that it is portable - but then never take it anywhere, other than the occasional trip from the kitchen table to the couch.

Most aren't aware of the disadvantages of laptops Vs. desktops. How it is more difficult to get rid of the heat because of the tight component squeeze, which shortens the life of everything. How you can always get more performance for your dollar with a desktop because it is easier and cheaper to build a computer when you have more space to work with. How upgrades of any significance are difficult to impossible. Spill your Coke? Good chance you'll need a new computer. Even if only the keyboard is ruined, that is still much more expensive than a new keyboard for a desktop. And installing a keyboard on a laptop requires mechanical skills that are beyond most people's ability.

They buy a laptop. Then they buy a standard mouse, because touchpads suck. Then they buy an external keyboard, because tiny keyboards suck. Then they buy a bigger external monitor, because they like nice big text. Then they never move it.

As it stands right now, I think of the way stereos used to be back in the seventies through the eighties (and still are among audiophiles today). People who really cared about audio quality bought discrete components, because they knew that this company made the best amplifier, while that company made the best tuner. People who didn't know any better just bought some all in one system. At this time, computers are similar.

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken
Old 8th November, 2009, 07:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thank you for a rational explanation of my emotional response! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 9th November, 2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo Man View Post
That article didn't go in the direction I thought it would. What I see happening is that desktop computers have become unfashionable. Many people buy laptops because they like the size, and the idea that it is portable - but then never take it anywhere, other than the occasional trip from the kitchen table to the couch.

Most aren't aware of the disadvantages of laptops Vs. desktops. How it is more difficult to get rid of the heat because of the tight component squeeze, which shortens the life of everything. How you can always get more performance for your dollar with a desktop because it is easier and cheaper to build a computer when you have more space to work with. How upgrades of any significance are difficult to impossible. Spill your Coke? Good chance you'll need a new computer. Even if only the keyboard is ruined, that is still much more expensive than a new keyboard for a desktop. And installing a keyboard on a laptop requires mechanical skills that are beyond most people's ability.

They buy a laptop. Then they buy a standard mouse, because touchpads suck. Then they buy an external keyboard, because tiny keyboards suck. Then they buy a bigger external monitor, because they like nice big text. Then they never move it.

As it stands right now, I think of the way stereos used to be back in the seventies through the eighties (and still are among audiophiles today). People who really cared about audio quality bought discrete components, because they knew that this company made the best amplifier, while that company made the best tuner. People who didn't know any better just bought some all in one system. At this time, computers are similar.
well OEM computers have always been fashionable but the laptop thing is right, my mother sold her desktop, Athlon64 4000, 1gb DDR400, 6600GT for a HP Laptop with an Athlon64 3200M, 1gb DDR333, and a 6150 intergrated and she never takes it anywhere lol. I myself have a laptop also, but it doesnt get used when im at home, its a Pentium3 Mobile 700mhz, 512mb SDRAM, and intel 810IGP, its for when i go somewhere so i can check email
Old 9th November, 2009, 09:39 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Get rid of old faithful for a laptop? I have a Dell laptop that hasn't been used for a year, because I luv that touchpad sooo much!
Old 10th November, 2009, 08:27 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

What we're really seeing is that technology is becoming both powerful and cheap.

The laptop on which I'm typing this cost about 500 quid. It has identical power and performance to a desktop computer costing about 500 quid. My present phone has more power than my first dozen computers put together and costs significantly less than the first, and whenever I'm in a sensible country will connect me to the world through the internet all the time wherever I am. With a (now horribly out-of-date) PSP I'm able to watch movies, play arcade games and so forth wherever I am. My mp3 player the same, but with better sound quality.

I can and do select the most convenient device for the job, be that phone or laptop, games console or desktop PC.

With the cost element made moot, other factors such as convenience and lifestyle become important. Where I'm concerned, "convenient" does not mean having to detach myself from family life and lock myself away in the back bedroom as the desktop PC requires.

*As for longevity of components: who cares? How long do you really expect to be using anything without upgrading it thesedays?

*As for "the cloud"... Sidekick, anyone?
Old 10th November, 2009, 10:14 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

B-but, some people have families that they want to be locked away from. Just sayin.'
Old 10th November, 2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
What we're really seeing is that technology is becoming both powerful and cheap.

The laptop on which I'm typing this cost about 500 quid. It has identical power and performance to a desktop computer costing about 500 quid. My present phone has more power than my first dozen computers put together and costs significantly less than the first, and whenever I'm in a sensible country will connect me to the world through the internet all the time wherever I am. With a (now horribly out-of-date) PSP I'm able to watch movies, play arcade games and so forth wherever I am. My mp3 player the same, but with better sound quality.

I can and do select the most convenient device for the job, be that phone or laptop, games console or desktop PC.

With the cost element made moot, other factors such as convenience and lifestyle become important. Where I'm concerned, "convenient" does not mean having to detach myself from family life and lock myself away in the back bedroom as the desktop PC requires.

*As for longevity of components: who cares? How long do you really expect to be using anything without upgrading it thesedays?

*As for "the cloud"... Sidekick, anyone?
I dunno for 500US I can get an AMD Athlon X3, 2gb ram, and a 9600GT with windows ect on it, you cant get a gaming laptop for less than 1200US
Old 11th November, 2009, 12:10 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Seems like as a group we like to play with and use a number of devices in a "yes and" rather than a" yes instead of" way.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 11th November, 2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11th November, 2009, 04:40 AM

no clue what you mean there
Old 11th November, 2009, 03:35 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by candle_86 View Post
I dunno for 500US I can get an AMD Athlon X3, 2gb ram, and a 9600GT with windows ect on it, you cant get a gaming laptop for less than 1200US
Why do I need such a power computer to play a game? I could just sign up to something like OnLive, who do the grunt lifting, and just use my computer as a terminal?

Besides, how much is a PS3 or XBox 360 these days?
Old 11th November, 2009, 03:37 PM
Steve Jobs

Killzone 2 on the PS3 sort of convinced me that there was no need to buy a new graphics card. Wow.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 11th November, 2009, 04:05 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by candle_86 View Post
[citation needed]

Just in case I was imagining things, I checked at the local computer mall in Jubail, and online with dabs, and for the 450 - 500 UK Pounds price point, the systems were basically identical, and not particularly brilliant (Intel graphics, low-end processor, that sort of thing). Am checking with the brother-in-law what that sort of money would buy in China.

Just remember that most people aren't computer enthusiasts and won't shop harder than Walmart or Dixons.