AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th May, 2002, 02:45 PM

Why not go all out?

This is a pretty good idea. I have been thinking about something like this for some time now. Except that I not only want to play cool mp3 music, but have the computer in the car run a heads up display, auto-pilot type navigation system ran on a gps, a security system, etc. This is definitely something to look into.
Old 23rd May, 2002, 06:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to AznParaTrooper

You might as well buy a laptop instead of putting a desktop in your car.
Old 23rd May, 2002, 10:28 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Claudius
I am unfamiliar with what a switching regulator is.
There's two basic kinds of voltage regulators.
The linear regulator, which basically acts like a resistance to ensure that the voltage output is kept the same. Linear regulators tend to get hot, as they're effectively burning off the excess power. They're also not very efficent. They need a higher voltage input than the voltage output.

The switching regulator, which switches the input voltage on and off rapidly to keep the voltage output the same. Typically the input voltage goes through an inductor of some kind. They're vastly more efficent, they stay cooler, and they can operate with a lower voltage input than the voltage output. As they're so much more efficent, they can deliver far higher levels of power. They're also known as Switch Mode.

AidanII
Old 23rd May, 2002, 10:35 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Azriel
Aidan, how fast would you figure an SBC would need to be to play MP3's well? I know P-100 laptops suck at it.
No idea off the top of my head. I know you can pick up SBCs that'll take a PIII or Celeron, but then you've got all the extra heat. Some SBCs come with an onboard NS Geode processor at 200-300Mhz

AidanII
Old 26th May, 2002, 02:10 PM

What you going to do for a keyboard???
You could buy one of those really small ones or I think you can now buy rollup keyboards, one of those would be cool
Old 26th May, 2002, 06:22 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Why would you ever need a keybard?
Old 26th May, 2002, 06:25 PM
Member/Contributer

Here's a simplified AT PSU if you want to go AT.

http://www.h2go.co.uk/mp3home.htm
Old 26th May, 2002, 06:30 PM

What if you wanted to search for songs on your hdd (ie if you have 2000 different songs) you'd need a keyboard to type in the name of the song you want.
Old 26th May, 2002, 06:51 PM
Member/Contributer

scroll. They are in alphabetical order.

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z....

Old 26th May, 2002, 07:25 PM

sod that

just type in the first few letters of the song and its there
definitely going to have akeyboard on mine
Old 26th May, 2002, 07:45 PM
Member/Contributer

If you go AT, you can get POS keyblards pretty cheap. You could program EVERY button.
Old 28th May, 2002, 12:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

if your that desperate for a keyboard use an onscrean keyboard.
Old 15th June, 2002, 11:59 PM
Member/Contributer

Yup, it's possible.. painfully easy, even.

I had to do it first.

Trunk mounting a PC (questions)

I already plan to replace the 10" CRT with a touchscreen LCD. I still need to swap that machine out for an AT machine, and wire a relay to the inverter's power switch, so the whole thing fires up automaticaly when I turn the ignition on, but it works fine for now. I'm also going to be using a SCSI card, and a SCSI slot load Pioneer CD drive mounted under the radio in the other DIN position where the cupholder, and change drawers are now. The PC is staying in the trunk, as is the inverter.

I ran this machine for over an hour today with the engine off, and it didn't cause any problems. The car started right up.

Old 17th June, 2002, 02:10 AM
Member/Contributer

The monitor is already up for auction at ebay.

Edit: Daniel says NO URL, so I had to cut it out.

I really want to go LCD with this, and for the time being, I can survive with my 12" greyscale instead.

Last edited by Azriel; 25th June, 2002 at 10:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th June, 2002, 09:55 PM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to [PCE]Psycho

Hmmm... Sounds like a great idea. I'll have to pass my test and get a car first before I even think about builind one myself

1)EPoX 8KHA+ | AMD T-Bird 1.4@1.5 | 768MB DDR RAM | GeForce 3 128MB DDR | SND BLASTER LIVE 5.1 | IBM GXP60 40GB
2)ABIT KT7A-RAID | AMD T-Bird 1GHz | 390MB SDRAM | Geforce 2 32MB | SND BLASTER LIVE 5.1 | 3 * IBM GXP60 40GB + 2 * 120GB WD Caviar
3)PC-CHIPS M810LR | AMD DURON 1GHz | 256 SDRAM | 12GB MAXTOR
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!