AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th March, 2010, 07:09 PM
AOA Staff

Intel ships super-svelte SSD

Selling for $130, see front page news:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/c...velte-ssd.html

Comments?
Old 16th March, 2010, 09:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Fast boot and 40 Gb, this will float a few boats!
Old 18th March, 2010, 01:38 AM

Not mine tho... i need more space... a lot more.

At this moment, i have about 5 TB of disk-space.. conventional drives tho...

So this one isn't going to be it..

BTW.. would an SSD drive be just as fast as if i am making it a game drive ?.. instead of my Main drive, with the OS ?....

I know I will lose the fast boot, but that isn't my main goal with using an SSD drive...As my puter is running 24/7 anyway...

And i am not sure about the universe...

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2010, 07:26 PM
AOA Staff

Having you your OS on a faster drive, should speed things up while you're using the computer, not just when it boots.

For gaming, a fast SSD should reduce the time it takes for a game to load, and for levels/sections of the game to load. But, may not be much benefit during the action - if the game doesn't need to read stuff from the drive, because everything has already been loaded to the system memory/graphics memory.
Old 22nd March, 2010, 01:54 PM

Okay.. so then the time it takes to load a new level, which in my game is done by reading the drive.. will benefit from the SSD drive ?... cool. With my 4 gig, quad-core, i doubt the game could run any faster anyway.. certainly since my graphics mem is 2 gig. Only the load-times of the levels could be faster.

Also the rendering of self made video's cant be fast enough... That's residing on the E drive for now.. however, i have no idea if it uses a swap-file on the C drive.. or something.

It would be good, if one could replace all the drives with SSD drives.. but even i am not that rich...

BTW: What's the biggest drive to date ?... 130 Gig ?... not that much eh ?... my smallest drive now.. is already 750 gig. Thanks anyway for the answer...

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2010, 03:49 PM
AOA Staff

I would say that for video editing and processing, on a fast PC, the hard drive is most likely the limiting factor. Especially if the video file is large.

If you have a HDD which is faster at writing than the SSD, then you could always put the original video from the camera on the SSD, and have the editing software write the the new video file to a HDD.

I think 250GB, is currently the largest capacity, and costs around $700.
Old 22nd March, 2010, 09:55 PM

Thumbs up

Most of my conventional drives are Samsungs.. and there are some older Hitachi's in there. I found Samsung most reliable, and they are not to expensive as well. Not that money is my main concern, when it comes to computers, but me thinks that Samsung is busy getting my Hardware hart.. i already have a lot of them Samsungs, up to my mobile smartphone. Who needs anything with a I in front of it, eh ?...

$700 ?.. that is in Euro.. what ?... 516 euro ?.. that is doable.. however, the space is still rather limited imho. I regularly have video-files up to 2 gigs or larger.. My present Main drive is using about 500 gig atm,.. to house all the applications and the odd game that you cant install anywhere else.

So space-wise SSD is not really an option yet i'm afraid. I don't suppose bigger drives are coming before may ?...

Thats why i asked if it would be an option to put it anywhere else..

Shame. SSD sounded like a Drive from heaven... Maybe still is.. but then, conventional Hell seems to be a lot bigger.. Do you happen to know which is the fastest Conventional drive around ?...

FYI: I now have 6 Samsung spinpoints, 7200rpm 700-2000 gigs a piece... 2 Hitachi's 750 gig. and 8 USB/eSata backup drives 1 TB-2TB a piece.

AOA Team fah
Old 24th March, 2010, 08:41 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Ya know, with how expensive "large" SSD's are... I wonder if SCSI becomes somewhat more reasonable in price? Yet I'm told that while SCSI shines in a multi-user (server) environment, it simply isn't worth it in a regular machine for home use.
Old 25th March, 2010, 04:48 PM

Well.. i haven't seen or noticed any performance increase with SCSI drives, no... So that leaves me with staying with my present array, or spend some money on an SSD maindrive....

I wonder how much performance increase i will get from that, Tbh. Maybe i can get my supplier to let me test that out...

Note/

I heard from a person that bought a Intel SSD of 80GB, that the loadtime of Windows7, from pressing the button, is 34 secs.. To me, that's fast, but still a little disappointing... it takes my Spinpoint only 1 min.. so that would make SSD worth waiting for... but not worth the money they ask for it now.. which is 199 Euro... twice as much as i paid for my 750GB Samsung.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by The_DuDe; 25th March, 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 25th March, 2010, 10:57 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Spinning disks still rule the roost. If you're not fighting a wallet that's too fat!
Old 26th March, 2010, 11:49 AM

Oh, how right you are. However, in my case.. it isn't the money that's holding me back.. but the exorbitant high price they ask per GB, as opposed to the advantages.

I bet i was the first with a HD recorder, or a Digital camera... If i think of it now.. That HD recorder cost me over 4000 Euro, back in.. oh... i think it was 2002.. while i recently bought a better one with a bigger HD for just about 125 euro....

It cost to be the first... ouch..

AOA Team fah

Tags
intel , intel ssd , ssd