AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th April, 2011, 02:25 AM

Seagate Firmware Issue

I have a Seagate hard drive that has intermittent problems when I power on the system and the "starting windows" appears. The drive will hang there and not show the "flying window" symbol for several seconds. I have firmware CC45. According to the Seagate website there is a firmware update CC46 for this model drive. However because my drive is in a DELL system I can't seem to upgrade the firmware.

I contacted Dell while the computer was under warranty, and spoke with a woman that didn't understand my needs or concerns. In the end all she wanted to do was replace my drive. I didn't want to do that, because it's somewhat of a hassle to remove a drive especially when it's NOT DEAD. I've tested the drive many times with many different utilities. It passes every time. So I don't think this is anything serious. Is there a way to get this drive to accept the firmware update? Would the people at Seagate help me out, or would they automatically direct me back to Dell?
Old 6th April, 2011, 03:59 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It's possible that the CC46 stock firmware from Seagate would work just fine, but it's also possible that Dell have their own firmware roll for that drive, and the two might not be compatible with each other. Dell do this for e.g. their PERC RAID controllers.

Even if the drive isn't running a Dell customized firmware, AFAIK, the only way to flash the firmware to Seagate's consumer drives involves the use of a special cable.

Ultimately, I think you probably should have let Dell swap the drive out for you. Now that it's out of warranty, you are probably SOL.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th April, 2011, 04:06 AM

I just hated to have Dell send me a refurbished drive preloaded with all their hidden partitions and bloatware. Like I said I've tested the drive and it passes the tests. This is probably just a small annoyance that I'll have to put up with. Concerning the firmware update from Seagate. I downloaded it and ran it, but I don't recall any mention of a special cable. The utility ran but wouldn't update my drive saying something about model matched but firmware not matched.
Old 7th April, 2011, 07:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If that's the case, then it sounds like Dell probably have their own custom spin of the firmware, at least, that would be my guess. Does the Dell site have a firmware update for your computer's drive?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th April, 2011, 03:55 AM

No they only have firmware updates for Western Digital drives. I haven't been able to find any for Seagate.
Old 23rd April, 2011, 07:35 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Crap, what kind of deal is that? Doubt I'd buy a Dell laptop again. The old one I have is fine, but the co. is getting worse with time, AFAIK.
Old 11th May, 2011, 06:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Any luck in Dell HDD purgatory?
Old 1st January, 2016, 09:43 PM

I ended up force flashing the latest seagate provided firmware. I did see some improvement, but the drive occasionally still hangs at startup just like before. It doesn't happen very often now. The drive is still healthy otherwise and passes all tests and diagnostics; so I dunno. Next time, maybe I'll try another brand in this machine. Just a little annoyance I guess.
Old 2nd January, 2016, 12:15 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

It might actually be something in the computer's BIOS too. I have a Dell Precision M4800 laptop with two hard drives. It occasionally just refuses to see the 2nd drive on a cold boot; if I then do a warm boot it's fine. Since the two drives are identical, I swapped them (involved moving a lot of data) and the 2nd drive still doesn't always get seen on a cold boot.
Old 12th January, 2016, 07:24 PM

Interesting indeed! I do have the latest BIOS from Dell, so I can't fix anything there. Maybe another drive firmware will be released from Seagate.

On another note. Did you ever hear of a drive displaying odd characters where the firmware version is shown in computer BIOS, and then freezing the BIOS? In my emachines w4620 laptop that is exactly what happens when I tried to upgrade the drive with a Seagate drive. The drive appears to work otherwise, but it will freeze the BIOS if you enter it. I gave up on it, did some research and found out the Seagate drive I had bought was actually "dell branded". Apparently this clashes with my emachines laptop. I need to force some new general purpose seagate firmware on that bad boy!

Last edited by Just_tweak_it; 12th January, 2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12th January, 2016, 10:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I have not seen that behavior, no, but if it has a Dell firmware on it, anything is possible. Also, blasting a new Seagate firmware on the beastie may not be as easy as it sounds. Some of the Dell PERC controllers are based on the AMI MegaSAS controllers, but with smaller flash so that you can't install the standard AMI firmware; you can only install Dell's customized firmware.
Old 13th January, 2016, 03:07 AM

I successfully forced Seagate supplied firmware on the Dell desktop that I talked about earlier, so I was assuming the same could be done to this Seagate mobile drive with the "Dell" firmware.
Old 15th January, 2016, 06:39 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Shazam, well done good sir!
Old 15th January, 2016, 05:40 PM

Thanks I just made sure the drive model numbers were the same

Tags
drive , hard drive problem , seagate