AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th July, 2011, 07:57 PM

Finding info on DDR3 chips by manufacturer

I haven't been in the OC in-crowd in about 6 years when I was using Winbond BH-5 and Samsung TCCD chipped RAM modules on my DFI NF4 Ultra D mainboard modded to SLI. Now, i'm trying to get details on which RAM assemblers use which chips for DDR3. Maybe i'm not searching using the right "Keyword(s)" but I can't find anything like back in the day where you could identify what companies are using what chips and greatly increase my chance of getting RAM with more OC headroom instead of just a shot in the dark. I do most of my shopping from NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, TigerDirect, etc just depending on who has the best deals at the moment + free shipping . I've been going through a lot of buyer's reviews to no prevail on the nitty gritty info i'm looking for

Are there so many different manufacturers that it's not like it was back in the day? I really think i'm just not using the right keywords to search with since that's the problem with searching if you don't know what exactly to look for you probably aren't going to find it.
Old 29th July, 2011, 03:19 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The sad truth is that OCing is no longer the big thing it used to be; fewer people are doing it because many machines now come with some OC capability right out of the box, which satisfies most potential OCers before they ever get a chance to 'catch the bug'. On top of that, most people are buying tablets and smartphones now (or laptops), rather than full-size towers. Since the devices of choice now are largely constrained by battery life (something which OCing tends to put a hammer on), things are getting decidedly dull in OC-Land.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!