AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th November, 2011, 03:08 AM
AOA Staff

Hard disk supply could take two years to recover

It could take up to two years for hard disk component suppliers in Thailand to get back to pre-flood production rates, according to DigiTimes.

More: Hard disk supply could take two years to recover | bit-tech.net
Old 8th November, 2011, 08:34 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

A little update on the current situation in Thailand.

Something on the order of 65% of the world's hard drives are made here.

There are big presences here with WD, Seagate, and Toshiba especially. Lucky for Seagate, its main assembly plant isn't in Bangkok, but in Nakorn Rachasima, which wasn't affected by the floods as badly. Current reports from Bangkok are showing flood waters now encroaching on the city center, as well. The big industrial parks are located outside the city, in the northern and western areas, and they have been closed for a couple of weeks already, with flood waters reaching 2 meters. I suspect that not only manufacturing is a problem, but shipping must currently be a disaster, with one of the two airports under water. In these areas, the water isn't expected to recede for possibly a month to six weeks. Several large companies including Honda, Nikon, and Panasonic have threatened to close down operations in the country permanently because of the government's poor/slow response to the approaching floods, making it impossible to divert the water around the industrial parks, and because of an increasingly rotting infrastructure.

Bangkok is often known as the Venice of the East, because of the dozens of canals locks and waterways crossing through the city. Big problems now are which canals and locks to open to allow the flood waters to flow through to the open sea. The experts can't seem to agree on which ones, but their opinions are largely motivated by which areas have the most VIPS living there, so it's not surprising.

Here's an interesting view, looking at a constantly updated flood map:
Esri Flood Map Thailand)

It shows the city and environs. You can see that the northern airport is completely under water, and that the new eastern airport is still safe, but under threat. TV footage has been hideous; for Thailand this is as catastrophic an event as Katrina was for Louisiana, and just as badly mishandled. Government acencies are passing around the blame for this and that, and everyone is trying their best to cover their azzes with both hands, while pointing a free finger at someone else, usually the middle one.

Politics here are currently uneasy, with the newly-elected government feeling their way around this huge problem as well as the looming presence of the new PM's brother, ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, who is living in exile after being ousted in a coup several years ago. He was convicted of felony tax evasion and fled the country when the government - in their infinite wisdom - granted him permission to attend the Olympic games in Beijing prior to his sentencing (believe it or not. I couldn't make this stuff up ) He hasn't been on Thai soil since. He is supposed to serve several years of jail time but has sworn he will spend "not one day" in jail.

His diplomatic passport was revoked, but he was able to get a passport from both Nicaragua and Montenegro, so he is free to travel during his exile. From those countries, it is widely known that he manipulated the politicos here to help elect his younger sister to the PM post. She has had no political experience at all, but was involved in her brother's company. The family is the wealthiest in the country. Thaksin remains the defacto head of the party, and has a weird kind of rabid support in some lower income provinces in the northeast, where I live, mostly because of election "street money" distributed there.

Meanwhile, lots of poor souls have lost their homes and loved ones to the recent floods, while the PM and city management have attempted to protect the city (read: the rich folks) from the flood by sacrificing the outer areas (read: the poorer folks). The death count is now over 500.

You could not write a film script more unbelievably. As we expats like to say, "T-I-T" (this is Thailand).
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 9th November, 2011 at 04:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2011, 07:14 PM
AOA Staff

I had no idea that all these companies were stupid enough to put all their factories in the same place!

Seems to be a big problem right now. I don't know if it is due to panic buying.

Some businesses are dependent on HDDs for backing up their work, e.g. video and photos, which can soon fill large drives.
Old 9th November, 2011, 01:37 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Many drives are up 180% at the moment, I'm told.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th November, 2011, 02:15 AM
AOA Staff

As you can see here: Amazon.co.uk: Internal Hard Drives: SATA Hard Drives, IDE Hard Drives, SCSI Hard Drives, SAS Hard Drives

Most are now sold out, with just low capacity, or "odd" drives left.
Old 16th November, 2011, 11:27 PM
AOA Staff

Yup, a 1TB drive is going for $175 at Frys Electronics and I just purchased one about two months ago for $60
CRAZY!
I hope this opens some doors for SSD drives to improve production and eve n drop in price.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 17th November, 2011, 08:34 AM

all I can say is WOW. that is real life FUBAR. I believe I'm safe for the near future as far as hdd's go.

with 2x640, a 750 & a 1TB sitting on the work bench! all of my folders run on 80GB or less and I'm in no
hurry to finish the htpc.

I had no idea that the govt. there was so downrite corrupt. T.I.T. is funny in the way it sounds. kinda
like (tic) TNY. however, NYC is the complete package and as such carries the love it/hate it relationship honorably.

my hope is the people affected by the flooding are as safe as possible. may you and yours be safe as well.

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 24th November, 2011, 11:06 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hot, humid and flooded. Makes me claustrophobic, somehow. The world needs no more Katrina's! You chose well in the northern part of the country.
Old 12th December, 2011, 12:30 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm reneging on a promised 250 Gb SATA drive I was going to give away. It's brand new(if two years old) and kinda small capacity, but a bird in the hand...
Old 12th December, 2011, 02:27 AM
AOA Staff

Yeah, you better keep it.... because if you have any hard drive failure, it will be your rescue drive.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial

Tags
hard drive , thailand