AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th September, 2012, 12:05 AM
AOA Staff

Synology DS-412+ NAS tested and reviewed

A good in-depth review of this NAS beast here:
A fast NAS with class: 5 months with the Synology DS-412+ | Ars Technica

The Synology DS-412+ isn't cheap, but looks very good for some who needs some serious network storage.
Old 27th September, 2012, 11:47 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I've been impressed with the Synology NAS boxes. I've got both a DS101G+ and a DS710+. Again, they're not cheap, but in my opinion, they're worth it. For file sharing you can set permissions at the share level, but you can also set permissions on individual files and directories. Audio and video streaming are covered well, as is iTunes. I'm also using the DS710+ as part of a home energy monitoring system, so it logs energy use and draws graphs. It's also the syslog server for my email server and internet facing router, so I've got one central location for logging data.

Media is on there too, so mobile devices can access audio and video and photos, as can my Xbox 360. Synology have iOS and Android clients so photos and music can be shared and uploaded. I've also got a USB sound card plugged into it, so I can use any computer/device to create a playlist, and it'll play through the USB sound card, or on the computer I'm working with.

If I had IPcams, then I could use the Synology box as a surveillance station, including integration with iOS/Android for remote viewing.

Ok, you probably get they're pretty awesome boxes. Synology have a demo of the web interface which you can see over here
Old 27th September, 2012, 12:22 PM
AOA Staff

Do you need a static IP address for the mail server?
Old 27th September, 2012, 03:24 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Ideally, yes. In theory you can do it via DDNS, but it ends up adding a whole bunch of extra overhead, as each time your IP address changes, there's other DNS (non-A) records that need to change.

Tags
nas , networking , review , synology