AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th March, 2013, 09:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
Dan, it's in /etc.

Go to /etc, open /etc/fstab in your file editor, copy it and paste it here, and we'll edit it for you.
I feel sorry for you Thunder Rd, I do.

No one should have to help me though these things. People have taken me though this whole file editor thing a dozen times....but then a year or 6 months passes and I'm proud of myself for remembering what a file editor is!

This picture represents my best efforts to figure out what to do with G-edit, assuming that is a file editor...

Some kids you throw in the water and they set world records...you didn't get one of those, you got me. Now please fish me off the bottom again and when you have the time...tell me what to do...

I am sorry if that helps.":O}
Attached Thumbnails
How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-04-12-17  
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 4th March, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th March, 2013, 09:39 PM
AOA Staff

Yes that is Gedit the text editor.
Now...
1. click open
2. select file system
3. double-click etc
4. find fstab on the list
5. select fstab
7. click open

Now you should be able to see the entries in fstab
Don't change anything, just copy the text and paste here
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th March, 2013, 09:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ok I mulled my way though it...no wonder I forget!! I had trouble with " Fstab.d" but found Fstab below. Are they trying to screw me up!?? LOL

Quote:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=09a6e84f-7267-4640-9d9e-a746a95e5507 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=c4f836ea-24a4-4254-a852-37feb4531e33 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sr0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
Attached Thumbnails
How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-04-12-17   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-04-12-50   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-04-12-54  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 4th March, 2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 4th March, 2013, 10:06 PM
AOA Staff

yea, I hate that!
so many different names for everything
I have been in fstab enough times that I remember the name. It really helps for automatically mounting drives when Linux boots
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 5th March, 2013, 07:01 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

OK.

First, you have to open a root file manager. BE VERY CAREFUL.
Type Alt-F2, and then type
Code:
gksu name_of_your_file_manager
[I don't know it, nemo or nautilus, or whatever it is]
If Alt-F2 does not work in your distro, you can open a terminal, su to root, and start your file manager from there.
You will be asked for your root password. Enter it, and:

1. go to your fstab and rename it fstab.old[this backs up your old one just in case]

2. create an empty file in /etc, and name it fstab

3. paste the content of this window that I edited for you into it and save it:

Code:
#
#
UUID=09a6e84f-7267-4640-9d9e-a746a95e5507 / ext4 errors=remount-ro,noatime,nodiratime,discard 0 1
4. close the file manager
5. reboot the machine [you can't re-mount the root partition manually]

The 'discard' option turns on the 'trim' function. The 'noatime' and 'nodiratime' will decrease the number of small writes to the SSD of last access times, which is good for its health [you won't miss not having that information]

For a comparison, here's what my fstab looks like. You'll see I've made some notes for myself and formatted it to make it a bit more readable. The ext4 partitions on the SSD both have the same options that I've put in your fstab. Note that the ext2 /boot partition, and the swap partition do not get the options:
Code:
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of 
# storage efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to switch between notail / tail freely.
#
# The root filesystem should have a pass number of either 0 or 1.
# All other filesystems should have a pass number of 0 or greater than 1.
#
# See the manpage fstab(5) for more information.
#

## <fs>						<mountpoint>	<type>		<opts>		    		<dump/pass>
###########################################################################################################################
proc						/proc		proc		defaults				0 0

shm						/dev/shm	tmpfs		nodev,nosuid,noexec			0 0

portage_tmp				/var/tmp/portage	tmpfs		nodev,nosuid,size=3G			0 0		

## GENTOO SYSTEM #########################################

# (128GB SSD: 4 partitions)
UUID=d532e93f-5922-45f4-967d-6d351770f0dc	/boot		ext2		noatime,noauto				1 1

UUID=3816efab-17dc-4800-b172-5588ef9937d6	none		swap		sw					0 0

UUID=7b82fe5b-f286-46fe-b69d-7c4c19acec4d	/home		ext4		noatime,nodiratime,discard		0 2

UUID=2f2093e4-d2cc-431f-969d-6b51831ff39f	/		ext4	        noatime,nodiratime,discard		0 1

##########################################################

## perhaps not needed in xfce now that thunar/udev take care of mounting
/dev/sr0					/mnt/cdrom	auto		noauto,user				0 0
#/dev/fd0					/mnt/floppy	auto		noauto					0 0

## OTHER STORAGE #########################################

#(500GB SATA:WD BLACK)
UUID=970cd945-38a7-4929-97a0-04592805ecd7    /mnt/ext3_REPO	   ext3		noatime					0 2

#(500GB SATA:HITACHI)
UUID=88d85880-09c9-47db-81c6-99a15a8e59de    /mnt/ext3_STORAGE     ext3		noatime					0 2

#(750GB SATA:WD BLACK)
UUID=e5b45eea-288e-4732-bf56-b84bb15e2334    /mnt/ext3_STORAGE2    ext3		noatime					0 2

UUID=254d4b1f-26a7-49e7-a161-29100be83add    /mnt/ext3_STORAGE3    ext3		noatime					0 2	

#(40GB aptosid)
UUID=398f0e4f-f106-4c06-a55a-545874d3d00c    /mnt/aptosid-home     ext4		noauto,noatime				0 0

#(40GB aptosid)
UUID=e0d40967-7e27-4be5-8b08-8677abfe9e17    /mnt/aptosid-system   ext4		noauto,noatime				0 0

## END LOCAL MOUNTS ####################################### 

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will use almost no memory if not populated with files
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 5th March, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 5th March, 2013, 05:11 PM
AOA Staff

Are there any side effects from doing this?
For example, my Fedora server had noatime for sysfs and it would never unmount. So when I shutdown Fedora it would never fully finish the process and would hang up on sysfs.

I would like to try this too so I can make the life of my SSD longer
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 5th March, 2013, 07:13 PM

I'm not aware of any, maybe that was a bug. Anyhow, you don't need the noatime and nodiratime to get the benefit of trim, they simply reduce the number of writes.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Old 5th March, 2013, 09:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Many thanks TR!

Boo, what is the mint 14 file manager?

Boo as you intend to do this, And TR has us almost there...Would you guys consider making a step by step guide for us. Two reasons,

1. This has very wide spread appeal! Many will want to do this!

2. When ever I have to " BE VERY CAREFUL. " I like to completely understand the instructions. TR you are quite clear, Boo has no trouble understanding what is to be done. The fault does not lie with you.

Nor does it completely lie with me.":O}

It lies in the distance between what you know and what I have yet to learn.

So hows about a brand new guide to improve the worlds access to it's SSD'd? ":O}

I'll be open and honest and probably lose two friends...

TR you have the knowledge I need, but Boo has a better grasp on how to dummy that down.

This is of course simply an opinion offered by one who isn't yet comfortable that he understands what needs to be done.

TR...it isn't that the steps are complicated so much as I am uncertain at several points that I DO understand.

My guess is that your work has been largely independent of the interfaces I completely rely upon.

I am use to receiving fairly specific steps with certain responses... I don't know how to improvise...I don't know what is "also" an expectable response or recognize when I've done something totally unacceptable.

Basically you still assume to much of me/reader.

I don't know if this helps you...or even that it's you that needs the help, I suspect it could be me! ":O}

Oh! Oh! I know! it's that I don't know what you expect me to know! ":O}

It was me after all! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 5th March, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 6th March, 2013, 12:49 AM
AOA Staff

The File Manager is what you see when you open a window with folders and the hierarchy of directories.
[edit]
moved to gaming forum...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10

Last edited by booman; 6th March, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 6th March, 2013, 02:29 AM

OK, let's take a deep breath, because now I'm confused.

We are getting two completely different threads all mixed up in here. This thread is to show Daniel how to change one line in his fstab, in order to enable the trim function on his SSD. The other thread is about Openbox WM, and games.

So let's stay on the topic, so as not to confuse it further.

Now, Daniel, when you open your file manager in Mint, and pull down "Help>About", what does it say? All we want is the name of the file manager program, so you can launch it as root.

We could do all of this on the command line, but I thought you would prefer to do it in your GUI, that's why you need to know what it's called. After you 'gksu' + your file manager name, you will enter your root password, then go to step #1 of my instructions.

When I said to be careful, I meant that I want you to remember that you are in a root situation, and all your decisions are final, so don't forget where you are and start browsing around your filesystem or moving stuff around. Do only the steps I gave you, and nothing else.

If you have any problem, tell me specifically where the instructions failed, so I can help you. (Like the step #)

EDIT: I've checked; your file manager is nemo. So, to start nemo as root, open a terminal window [or use alt-F2] and type:
Code:
gksu nemo
That will bring up a request for your root password. Enter the password, and nemo will appear. Then go to step #1 of my instructions in this post. Just remember you're root; don't do anything other than the steps I gave you, then close nemo.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 6th March, 2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 6th March, 2013, 05:14 PM
AOA Staff

Sorry ThunderRd, for some reason I thought Daniels reply was the other forum post on Openbox... I moved my comments to that forum
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 6th March, 2013, 08:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
OK, let's take a deep breath, because now I'm confused.

We are getting two completely different threads all mixed up in here. This thread is to show Daniel how to change one line in his fstab, in order to enable the trim function on his SSD. The other thread is about Openbox WM, and games.

So let's stay on the topic, so as not to confuse it further.

Now, Daniel, when you open your file manager in Mint, and pull down "Help>About", what does it say? All we want is the name of the file manager program, so you can launch it as root.

We could do all of this on the command line, but I thought you would prefer to do it in your GUI, that's why you need to know what it's called. After you 'gksu' + your file manager name, you will enter your root password, then go to step #1 of my instructions.

When I said to be careful, I meant that I want you to remember that you are in a root situation, and all your decisions are final, so don't forget where you are and start browsing around your filesystem or moving stuff around. Do only the steps I gave you, and nothing else.

If you have any problem, tell me specifically where the instructions failed, so I can help you. (Like the step #)

EDIT: I've checked; your file manager is nemo. So, to start nemo as root, open a terminal window [or use alt-F2] and type:
Code:
gksu nemo
That will bring up a request for your root password. Enter the password, and nemo will appear. Then go to step #1 of my instructions in this post. Just remember you're root; don't do anything other than the steps I gave you, then close nemo.
Things aren't right...Probaly me....

When I pull up Fstab to rename it, it won't let me rename.

I brought up gksu nemo no problem, but could not rename my fstab

See Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-06-11-13   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-06-11-16   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-06-11-22  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 6th March, 2013, 08:47 PM
AOA Staff

you have to be root to modify it
Its hard to do without the terminal
Normally if I want to do something Administrative like this, I would login as "root" instead of "booman"

but you probably don't even have a password for "root"
When I install Mint, I have to set a password for "root" if I want to login as root

Root password:
1. open Terminal
2. login as superuser, type:
Code:
su -
3. enter your password
4. create root password, type:
Code:
passwd root
5. enter the new password
6. enter new password again
7. exit Terminal

If this works, now you can log out of Mint and then log in as:
login: root
pass: the new password you created

After logging in as root, you can navigate to your fstab files and copy/rename it.
Be very carefull logged in as root. you can easily break something and have to restore again
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10

Last edited by booman; 6th March, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 7th March, 2013, 02:16 AM

Boo:
Too much information for Daniel, and lots of unnecessary steps. gksu elevates your privileges to root already. You DO NOT have to LOGIN AS ROOT to do this operation on any Linux system. There are several ways around Daniel's problem, and none of them have to involve a root login.

Daniel, when you typed gksu nemo, did you get a password dialog?

Last edited by ThunderRd; 7th March, 2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 7th March, 2013, 11:20 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I thought that Nemo had an option for "open as root" when you right clicked on a folder?
Old 7th March, 2013, 07:12 PM
AOA Staff

I thought so too, but I wasn't going to tell him
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 7th March, 2013, 07:12 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Boo:
Too much information for Daniel, and lots of unnecessary steps. gksu elevates your privileges to root already. You DO NOT have to LOGIN AS ROOT to do this operation on any Linux system. There are several ways around Daniel's problem, and none of them have to involve a root login.

I agree, but thats how I do it when I want to do a bunch of administrative changes in the GUI
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10

Last edited by booman; 7th March, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 7th March, 2013, 08:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Boo:

Yes a system input box appears, same box you get to use system update and package manager. I can't take a pic when it's up...I'm a little mad about that...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th March, 2013, 09:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
I thought that Nemo had an option for "open as root" when you right clicked on a folder?
And by god you can!

I just had to look...well...I just had to be told to look....right Boo? LOL

(Sorry guys, it's taking me a while to get use to Linux being so helpful in unexpected ways!)
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th March, 2013, 09:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
OK.

First, you have to open a root file manager. BE VERY CAREFUL.
Type Alt-F2, and then type
Code:
gksu name_of_your_file_manager
[I don't know it, nemo or nautilus, or whatever it is]
If Alt-F2 does not work in your distro, you can open a terminal, su to root, and start your file manager from there.
You will be asked for your root password. Enter it, and:

1. go to your fstab and rename it fstab.old[this backs up your old one just in case]

2. create an empty file in /etc, and name it fstab

3. paste the content of this window that I edited for you into it and save it:

Code:
#
#
UUID=09a6e84f-7267-4640-9d9e-a746a95e5507 / ext4 errors=remount-ro,noatime,nodiratime,discard 0 1
4. close the file manager
5. reboot the machine [you can't re-mount the root partition manually]

The 'discard' option turns on the 'trim' function. The 'noatime' and 'nodiratime' will decrease the number of small writes to the SSD of last access times, which is good for its health [you won't miss not having that information]

For a comparison, here's what my fstab looks like. You'll see I've made some notes for myself and formatted it to make it a bit more readable. The ext4 partitions on the SSD both have the same options that I've put in your fstab. Note that the ext2 /boot partition, and the swap partition do not get the options:
Code:
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of 
# storage efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to switch between notail / tail freely.
#
# The root filesystem should have a pass number of either 0 or 1.
# All other filesystems should have a pass number of 0 or greater than 1.
#
# See the manpage fstab(5) for more information.
#

## <fs>						<mountpoint>	<type>		<opts>		    		<dump/pass>
###########################################################################################################################
proc						/proc		proc		defaults				0 0

shm						/dev/shm	tmpfs		nodev,nosuid,noexec			0 0

portage_tmp				/var/tmp/portage	tmpfs		nodev,nosuid,size=3G			0 0		

## GENTOO SYSTEM #########################################

# (128GB SSD: 4 partitions)
UUID=d532e93f-5922-45f4-967d-6d351770f0dc	/boot		ext2		noatime,noauto				1 1

UUID=3816efab-17dc-4800-b172-5588ef9937d6	none		swap		sw					0 0

UUID=7b82fe5b-f286-46fe-b69d-7c4c19acec4d	/home		ext4		noatime,nodiratime,discard		0 2

UUID=2f2093e4-d2cc-431f-969d-6b51831ff39f	/		ext4	        noatime,nodiratime,discard		0 1

##########################################################

## perhaps not needed in xfce now that thunar/udev take care of mounting
/dev/sr0					/mnt/cdrom	auto		noauto,user				0 0
#/dev/fd0					/mnt/floppy	auto		noauto					0 0

## OTHER STORAGE #########################################

#(500GB SATA:WD BLACK)
UUID=970cd945-38a7-4929-97a0-04592805ecd7    /mnt/ext3_REPO	   ext3		noatime					0 2

UUID=88d85880-09c9-47db-81c6-99a15a8e59de    /mnt/ext3_STORAGE     ext3		noatime					0 2

#(750GB SATA:WD BLACK)
UUID=e5b45eea-288e-4732-bf56-b84bb15e2334    /mnt/ext3_STORAGE2    ext3		noatime					0 2

UUID=254d4b1f-26a7-49e7-a161-29100be83add    /mnt/ext3_STORAGE3    ext3		noatime					0 2	

#(40GB aptosid)
UUID=398f0e4f-f106-4c06-a55a-545874d3d00c    /mnt/aptosid-home     ext4		noauto,noatime				0 0

#(40GB aptosid)
UUID=e0d40967-7e27-4be5-8b08-8677abfe9e17    /mnt/aptosid-system   ext4		noauto,noatime				0 0

## END LOCAL MOUNTS ####################################### 

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will use almost no memory if not populated with files
Ok we are almost there.

I got fstab renamed fstab.old and a new fstab created. how ever the open as root option is not available here and it won't let me paste into the new fstab file.

Worse the fstab.old file is empty! I didn't delete anything!

I'll try deleting the new empty fstab (the one we were going to useto improve SSD performance, and rename the fstab.old file back to fstab...

upon reflection, I'll wait here and see what you think TR.

I just know there had to be a way to paste into my new file!! ":O}

Looking at my pics I realized that the new stab file isn'y showing up! I tried to create another one but system says one already exists. Just so you knw.":O}
Attached Thumbnails
How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-06-11-16   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-06-11-22   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-07-12-07   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-07-12-23   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-07-12-27  

How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-07-12-28  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th March, 2013 at 09:33 PM.