AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th March, 2013, 01:33 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Good morning. What have you done now? LOLZ

Well, whatever you do right now, don't turn your machine off. If you're right, and you hosed your fstab, it will not boot in this condition; but remain calm, we already have the contents of your fstab right here on the site, so there are ways around this. We can even fix it if you DID reboot, by booting a live CD.

Go to a terminal and paste the output of this command here for me to see:

Code:
ls -l /etc/fst*
Then, tell me the name of the text editor you have in Mint, so I can help you. I'm fairly sure it's gedit, but confirm, so I can give you copy and paste commands here.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 8th March, 2013 at 06:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2013, 10:55 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

If Daniel will be offline for the next few days don't panic, the bear has been chased away it's just linucs!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2013, 08:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
Good morning. What have you done now? LOLZ

Well, whatever you do right now, don't turn your machine off. If you're right, and you hosed your fstab, it will not boot in this condition; but remain calm, we already have the contents of your fstab right here on the site, so there are ways around this. We can even fix it if you DID reboot, by booting a live CD.

Go to a terminal and paste the output of this command here for me to see:

Code:
ls -l /etc/fst*
Then, tell me the name of the text editor you have in Mint, so I can help you. I'm fairly sure it's gedit, but confirm, so I can give you copy and paste commands here.
Every fiber in my being told me DO NOT RE-Start this machine! ":O}

But this doesn't look good...

Quote:
daniel@daniel-Mint-14-Sabertooth-64bit ~ $ ls -l /etc/fst*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 739 Nov 29 09:06 /etc/fstab.old

/etc/fstab:
total 0

/etc/fstab.d:
total 0
daniel@daniel-Mint-14-Sabertooth-64bit ~ $

Oh! and I can't do system updates, well I can, but my machine is just not up to it right now...":O}

I just realized that I have been confusing my File manger with my text editor ... You should have realize that! LOL

Now that I've taken it upon myself to recognize the existence of text editors... again...we should do a little better as we go along...":O}

(Strange over site on your part! ":O}

P.S.

I just realized that gedit doesn't say gedit ...but that's G-Edit alright. Alright it does...but the print is kinda faint...
Attached Thumbnails
How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-08-11-40   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-08-11-42  
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 8th March, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 9th March, 2013, 02:29 AM

Dan:

Open a terminal and su to root.

First:
Code:
rm -R /etc/fstab
You might get an error message , you can ignore it. Somehow, you created a folder named fstab, instead of a file, so we should remove it.

Then:
Code:
gedit /etc/fstab
This should open gedit with an empty file called /etc/fstab, which we will now create.

Then paste this text into the empty file:
Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=09a6e84f-7267-4640-9d9e-a746a95e5507 / ext4 errors=remount-ro,noatime,nodiratime,discard 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=c4f836ea-24a4-4254-a852-37feb4531e33 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sr0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
Save it, and exit gedit.

Then:
Code:
exit
This will exit root, and make you a regular user again.

Then, to make sure all is well:
Code:
ls -la /etc
If you see fstab and fstab.old in the output [you should], then:

Code:
gedit /etc/fstab
If you see the text we pasted, close gedit and reboot.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Last edited by ThunderRd; 9th March, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 9th March, 2013, 08:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yes, I created a folder like an idiot! Sorry!

Everything looks like it's up to a re-boot. But i wanted you to have this in case things go a-wry. BTW I just noticed that we un-overclocked my computer! At lest it now running at 1600, not even stock...unintended consequences? Ah well off to re-boot...I'll stay in touch.":O}

P.S.

taking a second look, it looks more like it no longer optimizes for Folding...what do think?

Still have to re-boot!
Attached Thumbnails
How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-09-11-01   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-09-11-02   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-09-11-03   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-09-11-15   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-09-11-16  

How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-09-11-23  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 9th March, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 9th March, 2013, 08:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Re-boot seems to have gone quite well.":O}

A few anomalies...I wasn't auto loged-in as I usually am. Firefox checked my add-ons for compatibility, usually only done when up dating.

FAH is back on track and running full speed once more":O}

A few pics of my general condition... How do we check to see what we've accomplished? ":O}

BTW. I'm trying to secure this infor for future use so far I have:

Open Terminal.

paste: gksu nemo

Show hidden files

1. go to your fstab and rename it fstab.old[this backs up your old one just in case]

2. create an empty file in /etc, and name it fstab

3. paste the content of this window that I edited for you into it and save it:

Is this something I can now do alone or am I better off seeking help with the actual changes made in gedit?
Attached Thumbnails
How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-09-11-29   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-09-11-33   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-09-11-34  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 9th March, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10th March, 2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Is this something I can now do alone or am I better off seeking help with the actual changes made in gedit?
You're done. All we did was make one change to your fstab that enables trim on your SSD. There is a way to confirm that it is working, by creating a file, noting the beginning and ending sectors, deleting the file, and then checking to see that the machine wrote 0s to the sector.

I don't have time to walk you through that right now, but I can do it with you later tonight.

What is it that you want to additionally?

BTW, nothing that we did should have affected ANYTHING else on your box, including the automatic login, so if that is happening, I have no idea why at this time. We'll have to investigate that.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 10th March, 2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10th March, 2013, 08:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Seems like the non-auto login start up faded away... after two or three times waiting for the 10 second timer it just went back to auto login....Who knows! ":O}

If your busy now no sweat! We got what we went after! ":O}

Can I cut and paste this fstab file to my 32 bit Mint 14 install?

If you need a week to get around to this...no tears, you got me rather nice improvement...

How are we doing Boo? did you get this done yet...Free of the "Daniel ~ impediment" this should be breeze to pull off.":O}

Many thanks ThunderRd.

OH! I did have one question ....I have a 320gig Mechanical drive I use for files storage so I can access them what ever SSD drive I want to boot, makes a new install a breeze! ":O}

Does this procedure at all effect mechanical drives?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 10th March, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11th March, 2013, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Can I cut and paste this fstab file to my 32 bit Mint 14 install?
No. You have to do the edit over again in another install, because I don't believe that the UUIDs would be the same.

Quote:
Does this procedure at all effect mechanical drives?
No. The trim function is specifically for your SSDs only.

I'll post some instructions for you to test that it is working properly later in this thread.

Old 11th March, 2013, 12:17 PM

OK, before you test your machine to see if the TRIM function is working, you should try to understand why you want it in the first place.

I do not understand all of the highly technical reasons for the desirability of TRIM, but one thing is sure: your computer writes to and reads from your SSD in a different way than it does with your hard drive.

Basically, an SSD works in cells of memory. Say you have a 20k cell, and the system writes two 10k files to it. Later, you delete one of the files. The system marks the space as available, just like a traditional HD, and your system sees it as free space. The space is available, but the file isn't actually gone. It's still there, but marked as dead. Sounds pretty normal, no?

Now, HDs can write directly over the 10k of available space, using it again without any other 'preparation' of the available space that is advertised. But an SSD works differently, because it's flash memory; before the system can write to that 10k of available space, it has to:

--a) read the other data that are in the cell [the other 10k file]
--b) temporarily store the data in the controller somehow [the 'how' is beyond the scope of my knowledge]
--c) write zeroes to the cell
--d) re-write the file along with the new file it wants to put there.

Now, I am certain that this is over-simplified, and perhaps some of it isn't even quite correct, but in the end there is one thing that is true: your SSD is at its best when it is writing to virgin cells, and not cells with data in them already. If Aedan or Gizmo or another guru sees anything that is really wrong with this attempt at simplicity, please let me know.

Enter the TRIM function: a way for your computer to find all those available memory spaces, and refresh them to virgin spaces that can be written to - extremely quickly. Why do you want TRIM? Well, you want it because if you don't have it, the performance of your SSD will slowly degrade over time due to the writes and re-writes that occur. That's why it's often recommended to move directories that are constantly being written to off of the SSD and on to a HD instead [browser caches come to mind].

Strangely enough, all of this good magic that TRIM performs is disabled by default in the major Linux distros, and so you have to manually enable it by editing your fstab, as we did already. But now, you want to confirm that it's actually working, so here's what we're going to do:

1 - we're going to write a small file with random data
2 - we'll determine the actual location of the file on the SSD by finding the sector number
3 - then we will read the data on the file, just to see what it looks like
4 - we'll delete the file
5 - we will sync the machine so it flushes the filesystem buffers
6 - we'll look at the exact sector location again, and see if it was actually written over with 0000 or ffff, depending on what kind of memory is used by the SSD manufacturer

If the data are written over, then the TRIM function is working as it should. Make sure you have a utility named 'hdparm' installed. Check in Synaptic and if it's not installed, go ahead and do it now.

Then, to get started, open a terminal and su to root.
Code:
cd
You should be at the root prompt, like this:
Code:
root@daniel-box ~#
Now, let's create a file in the root directory called 'trimfile'. It will be approximately 3MB in size:
Code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=trimfile bs=1M count=3
The output should look similar to this:
Code:
root@Q6600: ~# dd if=/dev/urandom of=trimfile bs=1M count=3
3+0 records in
3+0 records out
3145728 bytes (3.1 MB) copied, 0.222537 s, 14.1 MB/s
Now, let's find out where it is, exactly:
Code:
sync && hdparm --fibmap trimfile
You will see something like the following:
Code:
root@Q6600: ~# sync && hdparm --fibmap trimfile

trimfile:
 filesystem blocksize 4096, begins at LBA 85460992; assuming 512 byte sectors.
 byte_offset  begin_LBA    end_LBA    sectors
           0  170167384  170173527       6144
Note the begin_LBA number, in this case, 170167384. Write it down.

Now, we're going to take a look at the file's random data, just for laughs. Replace '170167384' with the 'begin_LBA' number you wrote down from your own output of the previous command:
Code:
hdparm --read-sector 170167384 /dev/sda
You will see a bunch of random data. It's not important to write anything down here, just know that the data are there.

Now, enter this command. We want to see the data go away:
Code:
rm trimfile && sync && sleep 180 && hdparm --read-sector 170167384 /dev/sda
The above command deletes the file we created, flushes the filesystem buffers, and forces you to wait for a few minutes before it asks to see the sector data again. Remember to replace the number in bold with the number you wrote down earlier. The wait period is there because some systems take longer to do the actual TRIM operation, but 3 minutes should be enough for most.

If the TRIM function worked correctly, you'll see all zeroes, or, on some SSDs all ffffs [like this one of mine]. This is conclusive proof it is working:
Code:
root@Q6600: ~# hdparm --read-sector 170167384 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
reading sector 170167384: succeeded
ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff

If the data looks as it did before, then the TRIM function did not work. YET. It doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't *working*. Unfortunately, on some machine configurations it's done in batches, and the OS is smart enough to know when to do it, so failure to show a zeroed sector is not conclusive proof that it isn't working.

Hopefully, yours will work nicely, and you can sleep well tonight.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 13th March, 2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11th March, 2013, 04:17 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

geeks!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 11th March, 2013, 09:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

We got right up to the line...then fell on my face! ":O}

In picture format, as you can see things didn't go as we hoped right from su but it seemed close enough to me for me to continue....

We aren't quite getting something right...Observe! ":O}
Attached Thumbnails
How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-11-13-08   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-11-13-10   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-11-13-13   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-11-13-18   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-11-13-20  

How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-11-13-20  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 11th March, 2013, 10:26 PM
Benchmarker

It looks like windows update screwed things over! Ups my bad this isn't windows!

Old 12th March, 2013, 04:54 AM

Maybe your system drive isn't /dev/sda. Show me [as root]:

Code:
fdisk -l

Last edited by ThunderRd; 12th March, 2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12th March, 2013, 10:47 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
But an SSD works differently, because it's flash memory; before the system can write to that 10k of available space, it has to:

--a) read the other data that are in the cell [the other 10k file]
--b) temporarily store the data in the controller somehow [the 'how' is beyond the scope of my knowledge]
--c) write zeroes to the cell
--d) re-write the file along with the new file it wants to put there.
That's a fairly good explanation to be honest. Might be better to use "block" rather than "cell" as a cell is the fundamental storage compartment in flash. All the stuff you've written here happens at the SSD controller, so the host has no idea what's actually happening. That might be why you have your "how" question. It also means that the host doesn't need to know the gory details of the flash (block size, bits per cell, wear levelling and others...).

Technically erasing a flash block sets all the cells to a high level. I say high level, as multi-level cell (MLC) flash can store more than one bit in a cell - encoded as a set of levels of charge.
Old 12th March, 2013, 07:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Maybe your system drive isn't /dev/sda. Show me [as root]:

Code:
fdisk -l
I hope you have your reading glasses handy! ":O}

daniel@daniel-Mint-14-Sabertooth-64bit ~ $ su
Password:
daniel-Mint-14-Sabertooth-64bit daniel # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 90.0 GB, 90028302336 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10945 cylinders, total 175836528 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0005937d

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 168622079 84310016 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 168624126 175835135 3605505 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 168624128 175835135 3605504 82 Linux swap / Solaris

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Disk identifier: 0xce532d88

/dev/sdb1 1 625142447 312571223+ ee GPT

Disk /dev/sdc: 256.1 GB, 256060514304 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 31130 cylinders, total 500118192 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x000e0ae6

/dev/sdc1 * 2048 466671615 233334784 83 Linux
/dev/sdc2 466673662 500117503 16721921 5 Extended
/dev/sdc5 466673664 500117503 16721920 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdd: 256.1 GB, 256060514304 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 31130 cylinders, total 500118192 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x0001a819

/dev/sdd1 * 2048 466671615 233334784 83 Linux
/dev/sdd2 466673662 500117503 16721921 5 Extended
/dev/sdd5 466673664 500117503 16721920 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sde: 2000.4 GB, 2000398933504 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029167 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x00076e9d

/dev/sde1 63 3907024064 1953512001 83 Linux
daniel-Mint-14-Sabertooth-64bit daniel #

Let's see if this is easier to read:
Attached Thumbnails
How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-12-11-43   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-12-11-44  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 12th March, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 13th March, 2013, 05:48 AM

Well, your system drive is /dev/sda for sure.

Dan, could you please try the process again from the beginning, and make sure to put a space between the sector number and the '/dev/sda'

It appears at least in your last attempt you did not. Let's see if hdparm fails again.

Old 13th March, 2013, 09:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Be happy to, I'm unsure of our results, but we did get results this time. It did take several minutes as you predicted, the cursor didn't even blink....I would have written it off as a terminal crash if you hadn't warned me.

As it says both reads were successful,... I buy that if you will":O}
Attached Thumbnails
How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-13-13-21   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-13-13-21   How SSDs Really Work-screenshot-2013-03-13-13-28  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 13th March, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 14th March, 2013, 04:43 AM

As is normal, commands that work on every other machine in the history of Linux seem to...well...be different on yours lolz You're showing 2 files or something, IDK. Did you accidentally make a directory?

Please become root again. Then:
Code:
cd
to go to the root directory

Code:
ls -al
to see if the file is still there, or if you made a directory by mistake

Code:
rm -R trimfile*
to remove it if it is there

Code:
ls -l trimfile*
to make sure it's gone

Then please follow the original instructions again, to the letter, starting with the dd command.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 14th March, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 14th March, 2013, 10:52 AM
Benchmarker

fdisk tbh