AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th September, 2015, 11:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas

Wink Change old low HDD to a CF card?

Segate 13G ST313021A on Pentium 90 @ 125MHz:

http://s13.postimg.org/n5y9xs7av/13_G_Seagate_P90.png

Average - 6.4MB/sec - now this is SPEEED!

I wonder, if anyone have in operation slower HDD

Therefore I wonder, if someone have a experience with replacing such SLOOOW HDDs with PATA to CF adapter and CF card(s)? The latest models promise very fast speeds - 160MB/sec is quite above PATA possibilities:

http://s29.postimg.org/f9nkz1gav/San...RO_32_G_CF.jpg
SanDIsk Extreme PRO 32G CF card

...and since the adapters are just wires, connecting the CF card to PATA interface (CF cards work on same PATA interface!) and only in best cases, you can choose the voltage (3.3V or 5V) and you get the power and activity lights:

http://s21.postimg.org/yiqzxdh5j/De_..._reduction.jpg
DeLock 91620 PATA to CF

...then there should not be any problem of using CF cards as old PATA HDD replacement(s). Only problem I hear, that there should be changed bit on the card somewhere, that change the device type from removable to fixed. Then it should act as normal HardDriveDevice.

But maybe I missed something...? Do anyone have experience with this? Could someone share tips, software for the change (from removable to fixed) and experience in general?
Old 19th September, 2015, 01:48 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I haven't tried this, but in theory it can work. I've not heard about the software change for the drive; it really depends on how the OS identifies the drive I would think.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th September, 2015, 04:15 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I don't know, but it sounds a little too good to be true. But I'm prejudiced against Sandisk, tbh. I find their Flash thumb drives to be too much of APITA.
Old 19th September, 2015, 10:44 AM

CF as boot drive

FWIW I've done this with a StarTech adapter and Kingston CF.

Boots very fast and useful if you find PATA drives difficult and expensive to get hold of.

Sadly the Star Tech adapter won't fit in a laptop style hard drive caddy