AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th May, 2002, 04:07 PM

Need a CD Server recommendation

Company is looking to get a new CD Server. Boss wants SCSI, and I quote "like 20 drives or something". No price range, he did'nt care at the moment. Can anyone recommend any 14, 21, or 28 scsci CD towers? Will be used on NT network and TCP/IP. I really don't know where to begin looking. I would just like to have some model numbers or web links.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th May, 2002, 07:56 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

There's a bunch of offerings that'll do what you're asking...

I've often seen an HP CD-ROM server on clients networks - I don't know the model/name as I've never physically seen the device.

Axis do their Storpoint+ series, which contain both an HDD, and CD-ROM drive(s). The Storpoint can store CDs on it's HDD as well as supporting CD-ROM reading and CD-R/RW writing across the network. Their SCSI modules will support a CD-tower with 7 or 14 devices, at the same time as caching on it's HDD.

http://www.axis.com/products/storpoint_cdp/index.htm

AidanII
Old 9th May, 2002, 08:13 PM

Ok, what is the difference in buying a CD Server with a hard drive cache and just building a regular server and copying cd's the same way?

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th May, 2002, 09:32 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by nullCRC
Ok, what is the difference in buying a CD Server with a hard drive cache and just building a regular server and copying cd's the same way?

Not that much really. The main difference is that the CD Server with the cache was custom designed to do only that, and hence doesn't have all the rest of the baggage of a server - this tends to make it faster. I believe it also compresses the CD contents when it saves them to disk. It also supports a number of different protocols, including a web interface.b

There's no reason why you can't do that with a regular server, as long as your CDs don't change too often.

AidanII
Old 11th May, 2002, 06:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I built a 28cd server tower a year ago- bought everything local- put 32x scsi toshiba drives in it and this funky network adaptor box :-\
Runs great- gets dusty-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 11th May, 2002, 03:05 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

We had a 32 24x CD "tower" (it was a box) at work once, 4 scsi chains I think, a network box, and 4x120mm fans

ridiculously noisy, but fast as feck

it got destroyed in the fire

this was years ago though, bout 3 or 4
Old 12th May, 2002, 05:24 PM

Why not just use firewire-ide or USB2.0-ide converter boxes like this: http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....145-303-05.JPG

Stack and daisy chain...