AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th May, 2002, 07:21 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Thumbs up SCSI Bus sharing

I'm having to rebuild my GF's computer, but needed to take a backup first, just to ensure that everything was saved, from the ground up.

In my main rig, I've got a tape drive (Onstream SC50), along with other SCSI stuff. I've got backup software for my rig, so I threw her machine on the network, and started the backup...

5 mins later, I gave up... I'd forgotten that she's only got a 10Meg card, and porting across Mb of data using Windows networking just wasn't going to cut it. I've seen paint dry quicker.

She's got the pleasure of having an Iomega Buz (Video Capture card) in her machine, so she's got a SCSI adaptor (Buz comes with one), even if she doesn't have any SCSI devices... This is easy I figure, I'll pull the tape drive out, and whip it across.

Err.. Except that I have no spare internal 50pin SCSI cables (got 4-5 68pin wide SCSI cables though!). "Well, hey" I think, "just pull the 50 pin cable out of my machine, right?". Well, wrong actually. The cable in my machine is long, but is wrapped around enough parts that it's a major pain in the backside to remove and replace.

Figured I'd find some way of getting her machine close enough to mine so I could just unplug the SCSI cable from mine, and into hers. Simple task huh? Oh no! Murphy strikes again. The SCSI cable just isn't long enough to reach. Does this mean I'm doomed to failure? (Or at least a very long time without two computers!)

Then I had a brainwave (almost)

SCSI's an intelligent protocol, right? It's a proper bus, that can handle multiple master devices, right? Sure is! That's one of the reasons it's so much more expensive.

Her machine has SCSI - My machine has SCSI. She's got an external 50pin high density D connector. Ahh. I've got two VHDCI connectors. I've got a 50pin to 50pin HD cable though... and Tekram were kind enough to include a 50pin internal to 50pin external adaptor with the card.

My card is SCSI ID 7. The devices on this bus are SCSI IDs 6,5,4 and 3. Her card is at it's default 7, which will cause a conflict. I set her SCSI card to be SCSI ID 2, that solves the conflict!

I then remove the terminator from the end of my bus, and connect her SCSI card to the far end of my SCSI bus. Crossed fingers, and power both machines on.

My machine goes through it's normal SCSI checklist. Her machine goes through and discovers it's got a bunch of SCSI devices.

My machine boots. Her machine boots. Her machine sees everything on the SCSI bus at the same time my machine sees everything on the SCSI bus.

Her machine can access the peripherals that my machine can. They even sort it out between them as to who is accessing the bus (Part of the SCSI spec!)

Basically, her machine is currently using the tape drive on my SCSI bus at the same time I'm using my SCSI bus. (Ok, I'm not using the tape drive, just in case.)

Sorted or what? Didn't even need to take her computer apart!

AidanII
Old 13th May, 2002, 09:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

wow
Old 14th May, 2002, 03:38 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sure you right!
Old 14th May, 2002, 04:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Wow......... are you worried about anything shorting?\
SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2002, 12:02 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyder462
Wow......... are you worried about anything shorting?
Why would anything short? SCSI's designed to handle multiple masters, so either machine can tell if something else is using the bus, and wait their turn.

I've just never done it in practice, and certainly didn't expect it to be that easy!

AidanII