AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May, 2002, 08:54 AM
Member/Contributer

Matrox Parhelia-512

Found this while browsing and thought it was worthy of a post.

Matrox Parhelia-512 Launched in Japan

Well, in Japan it is already may 14 and it means that Matrox has just announced officially its Parhelia-512 (G1000) solution there.

This so-called monster features around 80-90 million transistors, 4 rendering pipelines with 4 TMUs each, 512bit internal structure, 256bit memory access, partial DirectX 9 support, and support of TripleHead technology (simultaneous output to three displays) and SurroundGaming (3D image similar to the one used in IMAX theaters). The chip works at 350MHz and the cards on it will be equipped with up to 256MB DDR SDRAM working at 700MHz.

The first 128MB Parhelia-512 based graphics cards are expected to appear in late June- early July and should cost around $400. As for the other details, please stay tuned, as they will be up here tomorrow, once the new solution is launched officially in the US and Canada.
----------------------------------------------

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2002, 01:16 PM
Member/Contributer

Cool! If I were in need of the best of the best in 2D or proffesional 3D, I would probably go with Matrox. Not just the fancy new model, but also some of the current/older ones.

I had a 4MB Matrox Mystique card back in the good old days, coupled with a 12MB Voodoo II card! lol

Last edited by Allan; 14th May, 2002 at 01:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2002, 10:21 PM

How do they connect 3 monitors then? I've seen the picture of the connections at the back, and one of them uses some kinda splitter. Is it something like a DVI connection that uses both its digital and analog connections?
Old 14th May, 2002, 10:46 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

dont know how it works but by god i want one to play with!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 15th May, 2002, 05:02 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Anand Lal Shimpi posted a detailed review of the G-1000 on his site today. Worth reading, but it goes deep. If you really want to know, anandtech is the place to go. He said ~$450. I'll take a dozen. Sheesh, you can build a good AMD box for less than that.
Old 15th May, 2002, 06:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Im buying one and 3 18inch LCD pannels- NOT FOR ME for my aunt whos an arcitech and asked for the best :-D
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 15th May, 2002, 11:18 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyder462
Im buying one and 3 18inch LCD pannels- NOT FOR ME for my aunt whos an arcitech and asked for the best :-D
Spyder
what does she need it for?! the best is all well and good but its such a waste of potential!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 30th May, 2002, 09:28 PM

From what I can gather by looking at the Murc forums, there's two DVI outputs on the rear of the card, with a splitter cable for the two peripheral screens and and single analogue cable if you've got an analogue monitor, for the central one.

All I need is more desktop real-estate, another 17" screen and a Parhelia card and I'd be laughing like a loon!