AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st May, 2002, 11:39 PM

Angry COM and LPT Ports

I reently bought a Nokia flash cable and have plugged it into my LPT1 printer port. However, all software I have tried with it says I need to select a Com port (Com1 to Com4) as the phone is not being detected. The printer port is the only port it will plug in to.

I am not very computer literate and just want to unlock my phone!!!

Any help?
Old 1st June, 2002, 02:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I dont know if this is a appropriate thing to be discussing......... but you need to change it in the bios..... Hit delete to enter setup at startup-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th June, 2002, 03:34 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

The Nokia flash cable is a serial (ie com) cable, which is why the software is set up just so. If it only fits into the printer port, then you need a serial 9pin to 25pin converter, available from your local radio shack.
Old 6th June, 2002, 05:40 AM

ummm....you sure it's not a 25(25 or 24?)pin serial cable port that it's plugging into? Looks an awful lot like a printer port...

Just a thought...not trying to be insulting
Old 6th June, 2002, 05:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

So it has the 25pin connector in it- use kaitains suggestion- get the printer to serial adaptor and you should be able to try and see if that works-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2002, 01:07 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
I dont know if this is a appropriate thing to be discussing.........
Why not? Its a perfectly legal thing to do. At least here it is...
Old 6th June, 2002, 01:58 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Why not? Its a perfectly legal thing to do. At least here it is...
In the UK, too.

Just check the terms and conditions of your contract - the first phone I had, the contract had a minimum term of 1 year, in which time the phone remained the property of the phone company so unlocking it would have constituted breach of contract. The phone I have now, the phone's mine outright, and the contract only stipulates that it be approved for use in the UK.

If you've got a pay-as-you-go (spend as you spend?) phone, then you own the phone outright, and have nothing holding you to a phone company, so you can unlock it as you see fit.
Old 6th June, 2002, 04:41 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

You have a Flasher cable for the Nokia, and it plugs into the parallel port. This is a fairly old style cable and won't unlock all Nokia phones. (should work with 32xx / 33xx / 51xx / 61xx / 62xx / 71xx / 82xx / 88xx). The M-Bus cable is prefered, as it allows update of logos, ring tones etc

NU2000, Dejan Flasher and others should work with the Flasher cable. Dejan Flasher can be found on http://users.net.yu/~dejan/ under the "Nokia Flasher" heading. No idea about the rest of the software!

AidanII
P.S. Try not to buy locked phones in the future!