AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd June, 2002, 06:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Thundr7 Send a message via Yahoo to Thundr7

Here ya go

Antec Power Supply
Model# PP-303X 300w
There's not really a manual just a 2 page sheet of hard paper with instructions to install.
Thats pretty much it
Old 5th June, 2002, 04:08 PM

Hey Uncle Bob you forget about me?

Show me a sign
Old 5th June, 2002, 06:13 PM
Banned

I just spent a good 30 minutes on the web looking for something on known issue with this PSU, but found none. Sounds like a dud to me bud
Old 5th June, 2002, 10:56 PM

Dang Oh well maybe i can make a paperweight

Thanx for checkin Pinky, much appreciated !
Old 5th June, 2002, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thundr7
Hey Uncle Bob you forget about me?

Show me a sign

Sorry, it's been hectic here. Here is the manual online

It talks about plugging in the 3-pin fan signal connector. Have you that plugged in? Perhaps there is a way to short that out to bypass the temp shutdown circuit.

Here is some info from a review by Anand Tech

"All of the power supplies that could boot Test System #2 are more than fit to power your new Athlon system, but if we're going to crown a winner it would have to be the Antec PP-303X. There was a noticeable difference in stability between the units that placed at the top of our System Stress Test and those that came in at around 95%, while they all provided for stable operation, some were more prone to causing crashes under heavy stress than others.

You have to keep in mind that not everyone will be running as stressful as a setup as the one we put together here, but in an attempt to separate the best power supplies from the rest we had to go to those extremes. If you stick with the Antec PP-303X or the Delta Electronics DPS-338AB C rev.00 then you won't have to worry about your power supply causing any instability with your Athlon system."

Here is a story addressing issues with the Antec PP 303x and the 5.0v rail that is interesting.

Hope this helps. I can't seem to find a schematic yet.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2002, 01:07 AM

Thanx uncle Bob , I've read evrything and for starters i had the Duron 1G in my system while i was using the antec 300w psu also it talks about the 3 pin fan signal to monitor the fan speed i didn't want to connect it but i did'nt know that not monitoring the fan speed in the psu would cause this problem.
I would just like to say thank you for all your help and i apologize for any inconvinience i may have caused you.

Since there's no way to adjust the 5v rail and i can't use the psu i'll just deepsix it and just get another one.

Thanx again
Old 6th June, 2002, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Thanx uncle Bob , I've read evrything and for starters i had the Duron 1G in my system while i was using the antec 300w psu also it talks about the 3 pin fan signal to monitor the fan speed i didn't want to connect it but i did'nt know that not monitoring the fan speed in the psu would cause this problem.
I would just like to say thank you for all your help and i apologize for any inconvinience i may have caused you.

Since there's no way to adjust the 5v rail and i can't use the psu i'll just deepsix it and just get another one.

Thanx again
Hey, you haven't caused me any trouble at all! We are all here to help each other and that's never trouble. I wonder if someone else reading this string would know if there isn't a pot (potentiometer) in the PSU that can be tweaked to up the 5v rail voltage. That's about all I can offer other than to plug in the 3-pin connector. I'd certainly try that before I deep sixed it.
It's always a pleasure to be of a modicum of assistance.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2002, 03:41 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Antec is famous for rebadging PSUs. There are actually 3 models sold with that same name. I believe 2 out of 3 did not have pots. I think there is a revision code on the label to identify them, but I'm sorry I don't know which is which. Since the warrantee is void anyway, look under the hood and check around, very carefully.

good luck.
Old 6th June, 2002, 03:44 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

I have the same power supply. I do not know if there are little pots inside

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 7th June, 2002, 07:00 AM

Nope no pots
Looks like this thing is gonna be a an artifact at the bottom of the river.
Thanx again for all your help guyz but i don't think this psu has any hope. I'm so angy i paid 50$, still new and i can't do anything with it !

One thing's for sure, i'll NEVER buy another antec product agian !
freakin piece of ****** junk !

Last edited by Thundr7; 7th June, 2002 at 07:03 AM.
Old 7th June, 2002, 11:58 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

If you have access to a multimeter, then you can monitor the voltages that the PSU is producing.

If the fans are still turning, then the converter in the PSU is still up and regulating (as the same converter drives all voltage lines). When the same failure occurs, check to see if the 3.3V, 5V and 12V lines indeed have the correct voltages on them.

If they do, continue on to checking the PG (Power Good) signal from the PSU. A motherboard will be held in reset if the PG signal is not asserted.

If all the PSU lines are ok, and the PG signal is ok, then the motherboard should be running!

AidanII
Old 7th June, 2002, 09:25 PM

yaaaaa get the sledge hammer

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Old 9th June, 2002, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
If you have access to a multimeter, then you can monitor the voltages that the PSU is producing.

If the fans are still turning, then the converter in the PSU is still up and regulating (as the same converter drives all voltage lines). When the same failure occurs, check to see if the 3.3V, 5V and 12V lines indeed have the correct voltages on them.

If they do, continue on to checking the PG (Power Good) signal from the PSU. A motherboard will be held in reset if the PG signal is not asserted.

If all the PSU lines are ok, and the PG signal is ok, then the motherboard should be running!

AidanII
How is that possible if i have to have something running for the test? I had the psu with 4 fans running for about 3 days nothing happend. But then again the fans were runnin even after the comp shut down. I mean look at it from my point, how am i supposed to check the voltage from each plug when the psu is out of the machine? would'nt that defeat the purpose? And also how am i supposed to check the voltage if the psu is hooked up to the machine? I have to find a way to somehow put a normal drain on the psu to conduct the test. If i checked the psu when its outta da machine it won't show anything. The problem is when the psu is hooked up and the comp is running.
Thanx for all your help but i think i'm gonna just get the sledgehammer, i just about had it up to here (pointing to my neck ) with this @#$%*&$ psu.!!!
Word of advise gentlemen, DO NOT BUY AN ANTEC PRODUCT !

*** update***
I took the fan out and the rest is a 50$ pancake at the bottom of the river!
I'm done !

Last edited by Thundr7; 9th June, 2002 at 06:03 AM.
Old 9th June, 2002, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:

Word of advise gentlemen, DO NOT BUY AN ANTEC PRODUCT !

*** update***
I took the fan out and the rest is a 50$ pancake at the bottom of the river!
I'm done !
Probably good advice, and Aidan was suggesting to do some electronics troubleshooting, which I happen to know you don't have, so it really didn't apply to you.
Old 9th June, 2002, 09:16 PM

Yeah , it sux tho
Oh well, live and learn
If a woman laughs at you after sex, what does it mean? It means you forgot protection and now she has a slave.