AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th June, 2002, 08:19 AM

Dying Hard drive?

I've got a Maxtor 8 gig (mod# 90845D4) that's about 3 years old that's been run a LOT over those last three years (24/7, 9 months/year)

My problem is that my writes are becoming EXTREMELY slow...pcmark rated write speed at 0.3 (yes, 0.3) Mb/sec......reads were around 11 meg/sec. The drive is running in UDMA33 on an Epox 8k7a+, hooked to the highpoint controler. I'm going to try letting the file system benchmark on sandra run overnight and see if it will finish...i'll post that sometime tomorrow for the curious (or morbid<G>)

I've got it split into 2 partitions, one 5 gig and one 3 gig, both are ntfs...primary has 2 gig free, secondary has over a gig free...

I've swapped cables (both were 18" 80 pin cables)...made no difference...also tried it on the regular controller, same thing...

The drive reads and writes have ALWAYS been noisy, so I can't say anything as far as that goes...

I don't think heat is an issue, the case ambient temp sits around 22 degrees. I've also ruled out power issues beause all 3 rails are slightly over spec...

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Unforgiven

Specs:
Epox 8k7a+
AMD XP 1500
256DDR
Matrox G400 32 (2nd worst piece of hardware in the computer)
8 gig maxtor HDD (absolute worst piece of hardware in the computer)
Win2k Pro SP2
300W PS
Old 4th June, 2002, 03:04 PM

Ok....so got up this morning, greeted by the wonderful BSOD with a KERNEL_INPAGE_ERROR...go to reboot, highpoint can't find my hdd.

Hand to do a cold restart to get it to detect the drive...

Me thinks the drive is going to be fubar soon...
Old 4th June, 2002, 04:47 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Do a chkdsk. If you have bad sectors, it'll repair them if possible. If chkdsk detects a lot of errors, it's time to go onto a more powerful disk utility. There's an IBM one that also works on Maxtors available at aoafiles.com. Here's a link. Also, try a defrag. Your HD performance may be below par because all your files are fragmented

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th June, 2002, 09:20 PM

Ok...ran chkdsk, it found one error that it fixed, no luck with that...

Defrag showed 6% fragmentation...not much, ran it anyway, still no go...

One thing I have noticed is that the computer will hang for ~5-10 seconds, I'll hear it write to the hard drive (or access, in any case) and then the computer will catch up.

Any more ideas?
Old 5th June, 2002, 04:43 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Try this disk utility. It should do a better job of diagnosing your HD. Your disk is probably not writing, but trying to read a damaged or bad sector by repeatedly going over it with the head.

http://www.aoafiles.com/code.php?file=836

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th June, 2002, 03:53 PM

Got the software, made the disk, rebooted.

It found my drive and displayed info on it, but I wasn't able to find any options for a scan or anything like that...

Someone on another board suggested powermax, so I ran that and everything (including the surface scan) chacked out ok.

btw: I ordered a 40 gig Barracuda iv from newegg last night...so all we have to do is pray the drive lasts till tomorrow afternoon (I'm 50 miles from them, so fedex saver might as well be overnight for me )

Any final ideas? Be nice to have the drive as a backup...mabye a repartition will do it once I get the new drive...

Thanks for your help mooky
Old 6th June, 2002, 12:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Dude- where are you? Cause its in oregon....... and im here too!
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 6th June, 2002, 05:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

My IBM 80GB is dying... When ever I give it a big workload (say, transfering 30GB from it to my Seagate storage B drive) it makes a funny sound that scares the **** out of me and I turn it off...

And isn't it great? NewEgg.com's cheapest shipping is overnight for us North Oregon people
Old 6th June, 2002, 05:33 AM

Actually, I'm in Southern California...about 50 miles (at the most) from their La Puente address on their website
Old 6th June, 2002, 05:35 AM

Oh, forgot to mention: they have free shipping on most of their hard drives right now(or they did yesterday, in any case)...free overnight...cant beat that with a stick:-D
Old 6th June, 2002, 05:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Sounds good- srry to hear that your old one went out- i have a BUNCH of old harddrives that are supprizily still working. Good luck copying data=
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah