AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th October, 2001, 03:21 PM

monitor

any of you guys ever have a monitor that wont wake up and when it goes into standby it locks the machine up ?

I was just reading in my mb manual that the str function must be loaded from windows as well as switching a jumper on the mb (this is that gigabyte board that I just bought) hate it ,,the only thing interesting about this board is the soft menu III it allows you to adjust the FSB from windows

in the power management I've got the HDD always on and stand buy never as long as I leave the monitor set to always on the system runs fine

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th October, 2001, 04:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

I don't think this is a monotor issue. Thats just probably windows going crazy, because mine used to do the same thing. After a re-install everything was ok.
Old 14th October, 2001, 04:59 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: monitor

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
any of you guys ever have a monitor that wont wake up and when it goes into standby it locks the machine up ?
Yup - I've seen this before.

The monitor's standby mode is controlled by the PC. When the PC sends a set of signals (or rather, doesn't) then the monitor goes into standby.

Generally, a lockup like this indicates that some device hasn't gone into standby properly, and the device driver as died, sometimes killing the machine with it. If the machine actually carries on responding with no video, then suspect that the graphics card driver isn't supporting standby properly. If the machine is really totally dead, then point your finger at whichever driver you want to!

AidanII
Old 14th October, 2001, 05:18 PM
Banned

I agree that this is a drivers issue. I've also had this problem before. I think upgrading to windows 2000 solved my issues .
Old 14th October, 2001, 06:01 PM

well I reinstalled the vid drivers and im still not sure about the wake up part...new problem I cant adjust the screen resolution stuck at 640x480

I think ill just reformat and start over . its just my folding machine nothing important in there

i may be getting close
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th October, 2001, 09:35 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Reformatting is fun. I'm about to reformat my downstairs machine. It's getting slow again. But hey, it only takes me like 45 minutes to have Windows and all my proggies up and running again.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 15th October, 2001, 02:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to CrystalMethod

Have you guys noticed that most of us here choose to re-install rather than try and "correct" a problem by throwing drivers at the thing, till the problem goes away?
I wonder why that is...
Old 15th October, 2001, 07:21 AM

that's the american way

most direct path between two points........

i may be getting close
Old 15th October, 2001, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
most direct path between two points........
Isn't usually by going in the opposite direction...

AidanII
Old 15th October, 2001, 03:20 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Isn't usually by going in the opposite direction...
But spacetime is curved; you could look into deepest space for a resolution and end up staring at the back of your head (time for a haircut?) You may end up discovering that hovering just behind you, in the opposite direction is the same solution to the one in the far distance, after much hassle with drivers:

format c:

TBH, the only systems I've ever seen recover from a suspend are laptops - and then only if they're pre-win95
Old 15th October, 2001, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain
TBH, the only systems I've ever seen recover from a suspend are laptops - and then only if they're pre-win95
I've seen machines recover from suspend, including laptops that are post win95 (2K and 98). I don't trust desktops to suspend as a number of the drivers don't seem to be designed to support suspend, and it all goes tits-up when they try.

AidanII
Old 15th October, 2001, 06:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

yeah, sounds like a computer problem, and not a monitor problem. go into the bios and disable power management for starters.
Old 16th October, 2001, 01:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SJAXKINGPIN

I'm going w/ a driver issue too. When you do re-install, make sure that you use the most recent drivers provided by the manufacturer of the chip, not the card. Often, these will be updated several times before a card man. updates them. While suspending on a desktop isn't something I do, updated drivers may work better w/ the suspend feature.
Old 16th October, 2001, 02:40 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

All three of my systems don't like suspend. Win98 x2 and win2k. All lock up solid. Don't know why, never worked for me, so I don't allow suspend. Just let the monitor and HDD go take a nap.

Windows can be a real PITA. Try reformatting, it is usually your best bet at fixing windows/driver issues. (think ghosting, it's saved me many hours)

SteveI.
Old 16th October, 2001, 06:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

none of my systems ever wen't into suspend mode right either. Who needs it though where there are things like F@H and rc5 to keep in busy.