AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th June, 2002, 06:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to nab572 Send a message via Yahoo to nab572

Question Memory Problem??

I've been noticing some performance problems with my computer over the last few months. It takes forever (and 100% of the CPU) just to browse files and folders. At first I thought it was the CPU. Then it was suggested to me that perhaps the problem was with Windows, and that I should consider reformatting and starting fresh. Someone else suggested I try a few memory scrubbing programs.

Well... before I go through the hassle of reformatting, let me ask you all this... could it be bad RAM? I tried 2 memory scrubbers... MemTurbo and another one I can't remember the name of at the moment. I think it's MemTurbo that monitors available physical memory as you work. I've noticed that of my 256MB installed, I rarely have over 200 MB available (almost never, even) even when all I'm doing is surfing.

Over the last week, I've noticed that it often drops close to 100MB or below... several times to 50 or 60. The clincher is that I woke up at 2:00 this morning & wandered over to the computer, and it was so low (1 MB!!!) that I got the blue screen of death and had to shut down. And all that was running at that time was the screen saver! (Although NAV is set to run at midnight and probably had been done for an hour).

Do I need new memory?
Old 6th June, 2002, 08:08 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You don't necessarily need new RAM. There are many Windows progs that don't release memory when they stop running. I have little experience with the "RAM releasing" programs, but my neighbor tells me that none of them work right.

The plain truth is that Win itself is a memory hog, and "invites guest programs" to eat up even more memory. As programmer's seem forced to make their products more complicated over time, this "steals" more RAM as time passes.

256 Mb is OK for Win98SE, but the OS likes 384 Mb even better. Win2K needs 256 Mb, at bare minimum. XP doesn't object to 1024 Mb. Whatever jewel is concocted next in the corridors of MS, it's bound to demand a great heap of memory.

Windows installations become slower with time. Four months is about time for me to wipe that C:\ drive. What do I know, I have Win2K, but stick with SE.
Old 6th June, 2002, 08:13 PM

But that doesn't explain why it's only over the last few months that I've been having such a problem. And 256 is the max for my motherboard. I haven't installed any new software, either. That's what makes me wonder if my RAM is just kind of deteriorating...

Any other thoughts on what could cause the performance problems? I timed it once - it took a full 32 seconds (and 100% of the CPU - I ran System Monitor) to open a simple folder.

Something has to be wrong somewhere...
Old 6th June, 2002, 08:32 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I very highly doubt it is the RAM. Blame bill gates, and Windows. I'd bet money you've got a couple of corrupt os files. Run scandisk to see if you have HDD errors. If you do, repair them. BTW, once you do, reinstall the os anyway.

Bad memory, doesn't cause slow downs.. They cause BSODs-crashes, and lockups.
Old 6th June, 2002, 08:35 PM

I've run scan disk so often I see it in my sleep.

Can I reinstall Windows w/o reformatting & having to reinstall eveything else?
Old 6th June, 2002, 09:27 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by nab572
I've run scan disk so often I see it in my sleep.

Can I reinstall Windows w/o reformatting & having to reinstall eveything else?
See your other post.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!