AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th June, 2002, 11:02 PM

Drive location on 80 wire ATA/100 cable.

If I've got my jumpers setup on a hard drive to be master, and have nothing else on the IDE channel, and I'm using ATA/100 with an ATA/100 80-wire cable, does it matter where the drive goes? Reason I'm asking is this: I have multiple rigs setup, and am trying to setup a third. I'm using a Maxtor hard drive, and have it set as master all alone on the IDE channel. I had it attached to the middle plug on the IDE cable. Yes, have the IDE cable plugged into the right end. When installing XP, I get errors that files can't be copied, or a BSOD (before Setup even runs!). Called Maxtor tech supports (check out the rant of mine) and explain the problem. Yes, I ran the diagnostic, no, no errors. Yes, I ran a low level format, yes, it passes. So their front end gets me up to their second level. He tried to tell me that I need to have the cable in the end plug, not in the middle because it's cable select. I'm smelling some horse poo, because I've got the jumper set to master, so it shouldn't matter where I've got the plug. I checked my other rig (running a Western Digital drive) and it's hooked up pretty much the same way (master in the middle, slave on the end). Can someone please verify this? Does it matter, if I have the jumper set, which plug on the ATA/100 cable is master and slave?
Old 11th June, 2002, 12:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

i belive the TOP plug it master there bud- You jumper setup is proably screwing it up-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th June, 2002, 12:22 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

AFAIK, the Master drive must be at the end of the IDE ribbon. Personally, I'd set the jumper(s) on the drive to "Master." Cable Select is a concept that had little or no fruition in off the shelf hardware, to the best of my knowledge.
Old 11th June, 2002, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
AFAIK, the Master drive must be at the end of the IDE ribbon. Personally, I'd set the jumper(s) on the drive to "Master." Cable Select is a concept that had little or no fruition in off the shelf hardware, to the best of my knowledge.
Yeah, I thought the same about cable select. It's on every drive I own, but I've never been able to make it work. And I've used master on the middle connector and slave on the end, which is why I'm willing to call the Maxtor tech a lying poopoo head. Unless it's some weird stuff they do with their drives that requires it. But I was under the impression that the jumper overrode any other settings?
Old 11th June, 2002, 04:24 AM
Member/Contributer

Try pulling the jumper out all together. Some drives, when used alone, need to have the jumper out all together. I usually just put the jumper across two of the top pins to keep it with the drive.
I think I had this same thing happen with my Maxtor. Give it a shot. It wont hurt it, I know that much.
----------------------------------------------

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th June, 2002, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Southern Man
Try pulling the jumper out all together. Some drives, when used alone, need to have the jumper out all together. I usually just put the jumper across two of the top pins to keep it with the drive.
I think I had this same thing happen with my Maxtor. Give it a shot. It wont hurt it, I know that much.
That's how I had it originally, on the middle connector, and the BIOS saw it as slave. Changed the jumpers but left the connector alone, and it saw it as master. Since they're tech support and it's up to them if I get an RMA, I'll jump through their stupid hoops, but I think by know I'd at least kinda know what I'm doing. And if not, I'll have to ask OC to bust me back to new member, and have Dano give me the title of "Eternal N00b." But let's hope not, neh?
Old 11th June, 2002, 05:46 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Don't sweat it, there are so many little yet important details in PC's that it's impossible to remember all of them all the time at a snap of the fingers.
Old 11th June, 2002, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Don't sweat it, there are so many little yet important details in PC's that it's impossible to remember all of them all the time at a snap of the fingers.
Yeah, but when it's something I've done many times before, and I'm belittled for not doing it their way, I don't like that. The Maxtor tech who told me I had it on the wrong connector was very curt and, I thought, rather dismissive of my problem. NONE of the reps I spoke to were willing to admit at all that it may be a problem with their drives.

And I'm getting the same errors again. Gonna try writing all zeroes again and go from there. "No quibble return" my left butt cheek!
Old 16th June, 2002, 12:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Cable Select is still a viable solution. I use nothing BUT CS for my drives. The end drive is the master, middle is slave.
Works on both Primary and Secondary circuits.
Do NOT have a cd/dvd on the same cable as your hard drive.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 16th June, 2002, 12:38 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Drive location on 80 wire ATA/100 cable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y
If I've got my jumpers setup on a hard drive to be master, and have nothing else on the IDE channel, and I'm using ATA/100 with an ATA/100 80-wire cable, does it matter where the drive goes?
It should matter when you're running flat out over ATA/100. When the signals hit the end of the cable, they get reflected. The motherboard has a set of resistors to absorb the reflections before it makes it's way back up the cable. The hard disk also has a set of resistors to absorb the reflections.

When you put the drive in the middle, the third connector at the top has nothing to prevent reflections, so the signal shoots up the cable, and then bounces off the connector at the end. Your HDD and MoBo start to see a confusing mishmash of signals. Any wonder they get confused?

I think this is one of the reason manufacturers moved to cable select. CS forces the HDD to be placed in the correct position on the cable.

Incidently, SCSI has been dealing with exactly the same problem for a long time. SCSI's answer is simply to make the terminators seperate, and have you place one at each end of the cabling.

AidanII
Old 17th June, 2002, 12:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

AidanII :
Cool, I knew what, but had no idea why... learn something new everyday.
Thanks for that little tidbit, I've always wondered about the why.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow