AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th June, 2002, 07:46 AM
Banned

Help Thundr7 with his power supply issue

Working with my friend and we've encountered a problem that appears to be PSU related. Same PSU with an Azza board worked fine but with his new Abit KT7A-R the voltages are extremely low (see pic below). It's a generic 350W psu, and we're going to look into getting something better, just wanted to see if someone would confirm my findings...

I did all the usual checks, seeing issues in 3dMark/3D apps when it seems the cpu and vid card are pulling juice at the same time, running Toast/cpu stressor doesn't crash or have any effect, this tells me that the PSU can't supply the needed power for the vid card and cpu at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Help Thundr7 with his power supply issue-untitled.jpg  
Old 18th June, 2002, 10:26 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The 3.3V line is too high. This drags down the 5v and 12v, as the switching controller tries to compensate.

The the switching controller measures the average error across the 3.3V and 5V line (some 12V as well), and adjusts for that. Bringing the 5V line up would also bring the 3.3V line up, and it's already pretty high...

Purchase a new PSU, or rewind the transformer.

AidanII
Old 18th June, 2002, 12:33 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I've seen the 12v line high plenty of times, but never the 3.3v. Still within 3%, but I see what AidanII is saying. Any chance that PSU has pots inside? You may be able to dial the 3.3 down a bit, and dial up the 5 and 12v lines.
Old 18th June, 2002, 07:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

On my abit i noticed that the lines are LOW- but im still getting sweet O/C with no lockups (only when its REALY HOT out)- Check for pots the 3v it to high-
SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th June, 2002, 09:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Thundr7 Send a message via Yahoo to Thundr7

Thanx guyz but again no pots. This same thing happend with my new Antec 300w psu in my first post. No way of adjusting the 5v rail and it kept shutting off, just the fans remained on.So there went 55$ out the window. A new psu i could'nt use, now this.

First if i did see the pots, i would'nt know what to do as far as adjusting so i'll have no other choice than to buy a new one and hope i don't go thru what i went thru with the Antec ( piece of **** junk )

I was looking at a 400w sparkle at newegg. It's the 3rd one from the list

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ry=1389&DEPA=1

tell me what you think, or do i need something stronger

Thanx
If a woman laughs at you after sex, what does it mean? It means you forgot protection and now she has a slave.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th June, 2002, 09:58 PM

If this is the second- it could be your motherboard- cause this is realy f-ed up-
SPyder
AOA Team fah
Old 19th June, 2002, 01:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

This is what I am running and I have no probs

Last edited by Samuknow; 19th June, 2002 at 01:24 AM.
Old 19th June, 2002, 01:25 AM

Try again
Old 19th June, 2002, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thundr7
Thanx guyz but again no pots. This same thing happend with my new Antec 300w psu in my first post. No way of adjusting the 5v rail and it kept shutting off, just the fans remained on.So there went 55$ out the window. A new psu i could'nt use, now this.

First if i did see the pots, i would'nt know what to do as far as adjusting so i'll have no other choice than to buy a new one and hope i don't go thru what i went thru with the Antec ( piece of **** junk )

I was looking at a 400w sparkle at newegg. It's the 3rd one from the list

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ry=1389&DEPA=1

tell me what you think, or do i need something stronger

Thanx
Sparkle 400 is the PSU i recomend to those overclocking
Plenty powerfull enough to run almost any system.

Unless you bought a particually poor quality 350 you should be ok with it at stock voltage. Id want to measure things with a multimeter before i spent any more $$, you might just have a poor contact at the ATX plug (or a totaly unrelated graphics card issue)

One thing to note is that its not just wattage your looking for in a PSU, its quality of voltage primaraly on the 5v line. Few people have a system that can pull 300watts but many people have a PSU incablable of giving the CPU a stable 5v supply. High wattage often means high quality, but not allways.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 19th June, 2002, 03:37 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I'd suspect the board, by what you're saying. Using the same quality 420wPSU, I swapped out 3 mobos in the last month (long story). K7S5A (stable voltages all above spec), AK35GT2R-POS (all voltages 2-4% below spec) and unstable, and now 8KHA+... a little dissapointed by my voltage readings and a little wobbly, but working. I think I have a lemon, but it's a cheap refurb and it works.

Anyway, the point is all used the same PSU.. Maybe you have a lemon mobo.
Old 19th June, 2002, 08:47 AM

Thanx guyz i'm gonna go with the sparkle. i've swapped 3 mobos and 2 psu's with the same problem.

My guess is the psu's. One was supposed to be a good quality one (antec 300w) which i will never buy again and a generic 350w which i'm runnin now. This one was working great with the stock xp1700 and vid card but now i'm oc'ed and the psu is too weak to handle the load.

Thanx again for all your help and info. Once i get the sparkle, i'll let ya know the results.
If a woman laughs at you after sex, what does it mean? It means you forgot protection and now she has a slave.

Last edited by Thundr7; 19th June, 2002 at 08:50 AM.
Old 19th June, 2002, 03:24 PM

Why were on this subject. I noticed my 3.3 is a little high but non of the other volts seem to be suffering. I am running a 300W Sparkle. any input here...
Old 19th June, 2002, 05:43 PM

Ill take that antec! LOL i have a couple and they have worked great...............
AOA Team fah
Old 19th June, 2002, 06:51 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

My 350W Sparkle is handling my un-OC'd Duron 1.3 box just fine. It also had no probs with a Duron 950 rig that sported that infamous power-hog GF256. That wasn't OC'd, either.

However, its 3.3v rail is producing 3.36v.

If you need real accuracy, looks like PC P&C may be the only way to get it. Ka-ching.
Old 19th June, 2002, 11:28 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Just thinking here...

What if the Mobo doesn't put any (or little) load on the 3.3V line? The 3.3V line would be higher than normal!

What I've seen of AMD's recommendations for CPU power supply has had the CPU regulator running off the 12V line rather than the 5V line...

Put the two together - heavy load on the 5V line, and light load on the 3.3V line, and maybe this is why we're seeing so many power supplies that don't seem to be able to supply the voltages needed.

Don't some Mobo's derive their 3.3V for IO from the 5V line as well? (Allowing you to adjust it upwards slightly)

AidanII
Old 20th June, 2002, 03:57 AM
Banned

Where's Azriel?? lol

I think he'd know this cold, I'm going to look for that boy!!
Old 20th June, 2002, 04:15 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

http://216.136.224.156/hoct12/power-supply.html

This 400watt PSU is working fine for me in my XP1800+.

I did a little looking around, and really, fixing that one up with pots and capacitors would cost more than buying this one for $22 (after shipping.)

But then again, they might not ship to you there, and of course... It wouldn't be anywhere near as fun.

Old 20th June, 2002, 04:18 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

If the power supply has no pots, you can add them, or use resistors. Simple as cutting a trace, and soldering to the two nearest globs.
Old 20th June, 2002, 08:34 AM
Banned

We figured it out!!!

I didn't take my own advice!! (go figure )

Turns out reinstalling the 4-in-1 drivers solved the issue, but we still swapped out the PSU, and I think we have the Antec 300W of his working (we'll know after a few hours) bypassing the crappy PSU temperature controls.

There were no pots, looked, and you're right Az, he'd be better off (which aparently he had already done before I stopped over tonight) buying a new one... so now he has 3 PSUs, and one in the mail
Old 20th June, 2002, 09:07 AM

Well, so far so good it's runnin ok
Core : 1.78v
+3.3v : 3.42v
+5v :4.95v
+12v :11.93v

Thanx Pinky for all your help ! Hey so i have 3psu's At least i'll have back-up just in case since i have xtra psu's maybe i'll build another Folder :-D