AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th June, 2002, 06:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Darkcobra

moving hdd from vertical to horizontal position, bad move?

ok, i have a lian-li pc-68 case, which holds my 2 hdd's vertically. i would like to move the drives to an Antec style case which holds them horizontally. will moving the position of these hard drives ruin the platter in the drives or damage any data in them. i was told that one is never to move a previously installed vertical hdd to a horizontal position b/c for some reason it is not good for the hdd. is there any truth to this? please help. i appreciate any help given! thanks in advance, guys!
Old 24th June, 2002, 06:59 PM

As long as they're not powered up, and you don't bang them around, there should be no problem. I've always had my drives horizontal, but have also seen them vertical with no problems.
Old 25th June, 2002, 11:28 AM
Member/Contributer

I don't think it'll matter at all if they are horiz or vert.

I wouldn't think twice about making the switch.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, or if anyone have had problems with this issue.
Old 25th June, 2002, 02:03 PM

One the bearing on the platter is bedded in in the horizontal position moving it to horizontal will alter the way its loaded significantly.

This may have been an issue with older hard drives, I every much doubt that with a modern drive this will cause problems. Although I wouldnt recomend moving the drive about frequently.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th June, 2002, 06:48 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'd recommend against doing it whilst the drives are still spinning.

I haven't seen an HDD in ages that says it can only be mounted horizontally or vertically. (Ages >7years)

If you really want to be careful, look up the datasheet for the drives, and check to see what they say about mounting position.

AidanII
Old 25th June, 2002, 09:48 PM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to [PCE]Psycho

I had an old GateWay PC which mounted the HD's vertically. They worked fine till the PSU failed

I think if you had a choice then horizontal would be best as the platers would be level but i seriously doubt it makes a differnce as there so light anyways

1)EPoX 8KHA+ | AMD T-Bird 1.4@1.5 | 768MB DDR RAM | GeForce 3 128MB DDR | SND BLASTER LIVE 5.1 | IBM GXP60 40GB
2)ABIT KT7A-RAID | AMD T-Bird 1GHz | 390MB SDRAM | Geforce 2 32MB | SND BLASTER LIVE 5.1 | 3 * IBM GXP60 40GB + 2 * 120GB WD Caviar
3)PC-CHIPS M810LR | AMD DURON 1GHz | 256 SDRAM | 12GB MAXTOR
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th June, 2002, 09:54 PM

My mate has a cheap 20gb drive and it refused to work when the case was placed on its side at a LAN, but that's probably cos it only cost £45 (about $70 I think...) That should be no problem for you though, so long as its a decent drive.
Old 26th June, 2002, 04:40 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm told that if the HDD has been in one position for one year, it shouldn't be changed to the other. Old wive's tales? I dunno, some tales are true.
Old 26th June, 2002, 06:08 AM
Member/OES

In the PC that I had with the drives mounted vertically there was a old 6gig (which didn;t survive the PSU fail) and 2 40gigs whcih did survive it and are now mounted quote happily vertically.

However I'm still not sure whether they should be on 24/7 as IBM made them

1)EPoX 8KHA+ | AMD T-Bird 1.4@1.5 | 768MB DDR RAM | GeForce 3 128MB DDR | SND BLASTER LIVE 5.1 | IBM GXP60 40GB
2)ABIT KT7A-RAID | AMD T-Bird 1GHz | 390MB SDRAM | Geforce 2 32MB | SND BLASTER LIVE 5.1 | 3 * IBM GXP60 40GB + 2 * 120GB WD Caviar
Old 26th June, 2002, 06:42 AM
AOA Staff

Ive had em start makin weird noises when I swithed em from vert 2 horz, but then they got quiet again when I stood em on edge :nervous:
Old 26th June, 2002, 07:41 AM
Member/OES

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
Ive had em start makin weird noises when I swithed em from vert 2 horz, but then they got quiet again when I stood em on edge :nervous:
Maybe the moral here is to keep they how they have been

Old 26th June, 2002, 11:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to Darkcobra

Wow! thanks for the responses guys! well, i might mount the drives horizontally into the new case. i'll see how they sound and act. I need to mount them in my new case b/c for some reason my lian-li case just isn't cool enough system-wise. my temps are around 35-38C at times. Of course it is summer in Southern California and it can get pretty hot here and in my room. I'm too poor to have the air conditioning on 24/7. I have the rounded ide cables and stuff and tried tying my wires, but the inside temp of the case still stays rather warm. i still need to tie up more of the cables. if i can find a site to host the pics i would post them, so you folks can maybe give me some hints on what else i can do to unclutter my computer. i think the antec case has more room for my comp's guts. =) oh and i got a new Gainward 4200, so that might account for the higher temps as well.

well, it seems i went off subject a little there. well, thanks again for the info. it helps immensely! keep the advice coming please!