AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th July, 2002, 12:52 AM

Question Best Ram

Need suggestions for best SDRAM for ABIT ST6 mobo with Celeron 1.3. I can go to 512mb (168 pin DIMM) with this board. Manual says memory array is 64 or 72 bit (with or without parity-whatever that means!). I have two sticks of Crucial 128mb 16x64 PC133, is this OK. I would like to go to 512. Would one stick of 512 or two 256's be better? Also what type and brand would be best?
Old 9th July, 2002, 02:26 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

For SDRAM, Crucial is about as good as it gets. If you can stand the hit to your wallet, one stick of 512MB is better than 2 sticks of 256MB. Get CAS 2 instead of CAS 3 for better memory performance. Get non-parity (it's an error checking mechanism) because not every board can use it and unless you're running mission critical servers, you don't need it because it's not worth the price premium.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th July, 2002, 03:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I have been advised that 1x256 is better for benchmarking :-d
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th July, 2002, 03:39 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I agree with the Mook on Crucials.
However, I would not buy 512 if possible. SDRAM is getting long in the tooth. DDR is the current standard, it's faster and used by newer boards. How many mem slots does your mobo have? If 3, I'd say get a 256megger and you'll be done.. If the board max capacity is 512megs, I'd be surprised if it could take it in 1 stick... but you never know.
Old 9th July, 2002, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky
For SDRAM, Crucial is about as good as it gets. If you can stand the hit to your wallet, one stick of 512MB is better than 2 sticks of 256MB. Get CAS 2 instead of CAS 3 for better memory performance. Get non-parity (it's an error checking mechanism) because not every board can use it and unless you're running mission critical servers, you don't need it because it's not worth the price premium.
And what is also nice @ Crucial when you get to the ram site for your Mobo you can check on the spec's to see what it will or will-not take.

Check it out right HERE
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Old 9th July, 2002, 03:22 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for your responses and all the support I receive from this forum. Maybe before too long I will know enough to help others.
Old 9th July, 2002, 03:29 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I would get one stick of 512 because one stick will usually allow you to OC higher than 2 sticks. Of course one stick of 256 will usually OC higher than 1 stick of 512, it's also cheaper, but I believe Quint mentioned that he would like to have 512.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......