AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th July, 2002, 08:03 PM

Question WD or Maxtor

I am considering going to an 80 gig HDD. WD special edition with the 8MB cache or Maxtor quiet plus. Any recommendations? I know a lot of folks don't like WD, but I have heard good reports on the special editions.
Old 9th July, 2002, 08:17 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Maxtor or Seagate. WD licenses most of their technology from IBM. I've had 2 IBM drives go bad on me and I'm reluctant to get anything related to IBM anymore.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th July, 2002, 09:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Seagate or maxtor.... and i think you hit new thread instead of reply ;-)
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th July, 2002, 11:05 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

When StorageReview.com's poll of more than 6000 user's showed that Seagate made the most trouble free IDE HDD's, I decided to go with a Barracuda IV. Have two and my neighbor has one. No complaints--so far. They run very cool. They are not the fastest, nor second fastest HDD out there. The IBM's still hold the speed record(leaving ATA-133 and the WD with the 8 Mb of cache out of the picture). So what? Speed means nothing when the drive is dead. Don't get me started about IBM's HDD's. Not with an eleven foot pole!
Old 10th July, 2002, 12:25 AM

Re: WD or Maxtor

Quote:
Originally posted by Quint
I am considering going to an 80 gig HDD. WD special edition with the 8MB cache or Maxtor quiet plus. Any recommendations? I know a lot of folks don't like WD, but I have heard good reports on the special editions.
I'm using a Maxtor now, no probs. I also have IBM SCSI's as well. I'd say though that Maxtors are great. I also have an older one of them as well (ATA66 9.7 G) and it's still going great. I did loose one of the IBM SCSIs and they RMA'd it immediately. My vote between WD and Maxtor? Definitely Maxtor, man!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 10th July, 2002, 02:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Same here, been using Maxtor for a long time. Have a couple running in a file server and has been flawless 24/7 for over a year now....
Old 10th July, 2002, 02:25 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I hate to say this, but ANYTHING but IBM. There was a time when overclockers swore by them. Now, fuggetabotit.

Maxtors, and WDs have both been reliable for me... My choice between the two atm is maxtor.. they have the fluid bearings and ATA133. Good performance, even on ATA100 controllers.
Old 10th July, 2002, 08:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

my seagate barracua 4 is awsome..i've had bad luck with maxtor.
Old 10th July, 2002, 09:21 AM

This might help it's from New Egg :

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD1200JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
Specifications:
Size: 120 Gigabytes
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Seek time: 8.9ms
RPM:7200
Cache 8MB
$175.00

MAXTOR Quiet Drive 80GB 7200RPM Model # 6L080L4 -D740X OEM , DRIVE ONLY
Specifications:
Size: 80 Gigabytes
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133/100
Seek time: 8ms
RPM:7200
Cache 2MB
OEM(Drive alone) 3 Year Manufacturer Warranty QUIET DRIVE - "L" denotes Fluid Dynamic Bearing Motors
$107.00

That's a $68 difference for a 6MB cache difference in the WD and you get ATA 133 with the Maxtor for $68 less. Seek time is actually lower for the Maxtor by almost 1 sec.

Decisions can be so difficult! I personally don't see the need for a larger cache for that much more, nor do I hear that ATA 133 is really 33% faster. I'd still go with the Maxtor; only my opinion.

Hope this helps.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 10th July, 2002 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10th July, 2002, 11:28 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Uhhh, the WD drive is a 120Gig. The Maxtor is a 80Gig. I think the cache thing is only a few dollars more for the same size drive.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 10th July, 2002, 05:38 PM

The extra cache does indeed make it a much faster drive. The drive that I'm looking forward to is the Serial ATA Baracuda ATA V with 8mb cache from seagate. Should be available by august...
Old 10th July, 2002, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky
Uhhh, the WD drive is a 120Gig. The Maxtor is a 80Gig. I think the cache thing is only a few dollars more for the same size drive.
OOPS, your'e right! I'm sorry! That's what I get for doing that at 3 am! DUH!

Old 11th July, 2002, 07:32 PM

I vote for Maxtor HDDs.

All the Seagate drives I have get too noisy when they get old. While a friend of mine has a 3 GB Maxtor that he salvaged from his Pentium II NOT III system that up to now spins quietly.

My experience with a Western Digital HDD wasnt a pleasant one. It totally crapped out at 155 FSB.

Today I use a Maxtor D740X HDD. Its simply flawless. So I give my vote to Maxtor.
Old 11th July, 2002, 08:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Me, too, x 2 Maxtor 40gb liquid. I like them so far, nice and quiet. When heavily indexing the drive, you can hear a slight 'tick..tick' and that's about it.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 22nd July, 2002, 03:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Max193 Send a message via Yahoo to Max193

Re: WD or Maxtor

Quote:
Originally posted by Quint
Maxtor is solid quality but not the fastest - the 7200rpm hds are ok! The no quibble 3 year warranty is a plus on top. Last not least Maxtor is a silent HD!
Old 22nd July, 2002, 04:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

WD has got me in their trap, i bought a few years ago had to RMA when this one kicks the bucket i'll prolly use the Upgrade policy (where they void the warranty on the Serial# and give you a discount drive)
if you want reliable and quiet maxtor is the way
if you want fast WD *MIGHT* be right....i say might because does it really matter for you that IE will load .25sec faster?

my RMA experience was fine, didnt have any problems, they werent super fast but since used the option of them sending me the drive then me using their package to send back my drive i didnt care.... (when you ship make SURE its a traceable package- so you know WHEN it arrives so they cant try and not open it and then charge you for not sending the package quickly enough...)
Old 23rd July, 2002, 07:27 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Max193 Send a message via Yahoo to Max193

Quote:
my RMA experience was fine, didnt have any problems, they werent super fast but since used the option of them sending me the drive then me using their package to send back my drive i didnt care.... (when you ship make SURE its a traceable package- so you know WHEN it arrives so they cant try and not open it and then charge you for not sending the package quickly enough...)
Maxtors RMA is fine as well, especially the online RMA request form is a good idea as it generates the RMA code on the spot, but it takes 2 weeks, when living in Europe, as you have to mail the HD to *Irland* just to get the replacement hd mailed from Maxtor Holland. This is a bit of pain in the a**! With this in mind, those recommended traceable couriers are far too expensive for non US residents. The courier costs nearly exceed the value of the HD itself - most people return by normal Post air-mail. For Europeans Maxtor should look for a more local return address as this long distance mailing is expensive and takes unacceptable long as well.
Old 6th October, 2004, 02:49 AM

WD 120 8mb IDE Great hard drive.Have a seagate 120 sata.The WD is just as fast.Both very reliable.IBM JUUUUNK
Old 6th October, 2004, 03:24 AM

Have never in my life had a problem with WD. Got dual Raptors right now and they're the best drives I've ever seen and a 120gb/8mb cache kickin in my workstation that replaced a pos maxtor that died after about 5 months.

Edit: Basically, it's all a matter of personal preference and choice.
Old 6th October, 2004, 03:48 AM
Member/Contributer

out of those 2 I'd say maxtor, my parents system has a maxtor (6.4gb) and it still runs to this day (it's over 7 years old)
Bu I would recomend seagates, I have 2 pata drives running and I'm very pleased with their performance, they're very quiet, I can only just make out head seek noise and can't hear them spinning, they're fast, I get around 55mb/s and they were the first to implement native sata in their consumer line
I know ibm drives used to be terrible, I have a friend who used to own a 34gxp I beleive and those things had the life span of a butterfly, he had 3 drives before demanding a refund. They've switched to hitachi now though it's still ibm technology don't know how reliable they are these days though
One thing that puts me off maxtors though is I have another friend who had 2 200gb sata drives die one after the other, then one of the replacements died, the drives he has now are fine but he lost over 200gigs of downloads because of it (right before they cut his internet off )

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah