AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th July, 2002, 04:13 PM

You have the Same monitor as I do. Very easy to disassemble but you would need to becareful not to touch any of the capacitors or diodes as they do store 60,000 volts and can kill you. After I got the monitor apart I took a can of compressed air and gave it a good cleaning and installed a Cathode switch on the front. I've got 7 cathodes in my case so I"m sure taking two of them for my monitor would'nt hurt. My Monitor is going to take awhile as I've decided to go with a Jeff Gordon theme and paint on flames. Afterwards I'm going to have to sit patiently with a brush and detail the flames. Ackkk.

Oh and VIP Discount Auto also has color changing paints in stock. I believe its around $15 USD a kit. These paints give that chromillusion color changing effect as you view it from several different angles.
Old 15th July, 2002, 06:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

im having my uncle do a job like that on my case,..... you walk and look right, its metalic blue, you look left- its metalic black :-D
these have to be the harddest things to do, its an art painting with metalic colorchanging auto paint.... my grandpa was a master but he died :-( i can only hope to have it come out 1/2 as good as he could have done it :-D
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th July, 2002, 06:31 PM

That holographic paint is sweet stuff. My dad takes old grayhound busses and restores them into motor homes. Really nice onces too. Were talking $300,000 rigs. We did one with some of that paint. Silver background with a couple stripes of that stuff. A 5-color blue / purple paint, and a 3 color red/orange/yellow. That stuff is SOO NICE. But its expensive. Like $500 a QUART i think.

Watercooled Barton 2500+ AGOIA-Y @ 2300 (11.5x200) 1.85v
Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th July, 2002, 10:26 PM

I also came across some anodized style paint. Its made for bare metal, but they now have a special silver primer that can be applied to plastic that allows it to have the same effect. I may pick up some anodized blue and do my drive bezels
Old 19th July, 2002, 01:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Intrepid6546

I have 2 HP 840Cs, I might take the defective one appart and see if i can pain it blue also. I jsut did my logitech keyboard blue its top is drying right now downstairs. I have the same mouse and keyboard as spyder, cept mine is the USB version not the wireles, I don't lke wireles right now..it dosent have the scrool wheel, thati use for volume because it responds better.

-Shaun

Old 20th July, 2002, 03:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Intrepid6546

I think you started real trend, should send this thread to logitech.
Attached Thumbnails
Keyboard Makeover-new-keyboard-cover.jpg  

Old 20th July, 2002, 07:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

I'm painting mine either a red or green flake today. Also the face of my case the same color. I have a Directron 201B black case with the silver knobs and buttons. Should look pretty sweet. I'll get some pics whan I get it done.

The front plexi part comes off and there is a removable 'bezel plate'. Thats what I'm painting on the case. I've got to find a way to light it up now... no holes in the bezel plate cept for the bays and buttons... hmmmm
Old 21st July, 2002, 02:38 AM

Well. I got started anyway. THe keyboard came out ok. I've got a spare so I may mess with some metallic, but it didnt seem to want to stick too well. You can see a few spots where my impatience got the best of me (never paint when its raining 3 feet away from you )

Looks good so far
http://www.mojo.apachego.com/graffix/key.jpg

Much better
http://www.mojo.apachego.com/graffix/key1.jpg

Some water drops
http://www.mojo.apachego.com/graffix/front.jpg

Just cuz it's tidy lookin
http://www.mojo.apachego.com/graffix/inside.jpg

You can see a teeny bit of green where the plexi bezel shows the sides of the CD drives. Not too shabby for a rush job. Dried it all with heat lamps too. Took about 4 hours to dry and 45 mins to do it all. It looks kinda 'gloppy' becuase the lighting can't pick up on the texture too well. Its a hand hammered finish. It's actually a pretty thin layer of paint on there. Maybe a clear coat will add some flavor.
Old 21st July, 2002, 04:52 AM

Re: Keyboard Makeover

Quote:
Originally posted by JPsnipeU2
Don't know what got into me today just up and decided to paint my keyboard Blue Metal Flake
Looks sorta like my keyboard :-D . I painted mine Matlic Blue a while back. Was going to paint the case the same color but a Buddie wants to paint it Blue/Green Marige 4 FREE!!!!! . I painted the keyboard one night and was using it the next morning. Your board looks good,I Like It

2nd Rig, MSI K7N2 Delta 2, XP-3200 Barton, Global Win CK-38 w/60mm Delta, 9600XT, XP Pro

99% of all computer problems are sitting in front of the monitor But.... so is the Solution!
Old 21st July, 2002, 05:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

waaaa...hhh. My keys are part of the top of my kb. crud.
So much for moddin the mskb.
But yours are looking nice guys !

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 21st July, 2002, 07:10 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Please, in the future, if there is to be a viewsonic monitor pictured in a thread, a warning in the title would be nice.

(HATE, HATE, FUGGIN HATE! VIEWSONIC! Bad experiences with viewsonic monitors.)
Old 21st July, 2002, 03:34 PM

I'm painting the front bezel plate today, same green. Not sure how well it will come out tho since it sits behind the plexi and is against a flat black case body. The drives look sweet when there is enough light in the room, but you can't really see if it's even a little dark. Any suggestions on a color that may fit the green and black? I was thinking yellow for highlights and some of the inside parts. Needs a window for that tho, and since I don't really want to hack up this aluminum case, I don't see that happening for me. I tend to get dremel happy and just start cutting away without any general line of direction. As the crow flies so to speak..... I was going to paint the monitor today too, but, well...its a pain in the arse, so 4get that idea