AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th July, 2002, 09:01 PM

Ram Types

I have not given much though until now. In regards to system performance what is the best type of ram to get. That is ECC or nonECC buffered or unbuffered.
If you want speed which type? If you want stability which type? Can you get both?
Old 29th July, 2002, 09:12 PM
Banned

ECC is supposed to be highly stable/accurate/dependable (which is why it's used in server environments), but that was developed when RAM was poor in general. Now things are much better and faster, so it doesn't make a ton of difference in typically home PC use.
Old 29th July, 2002, 10:11 PM
AOA Staff

just dont buy RAMBUS.. the i850e will prolly be the last chipset to support it
Old 30th July, 2002, 09:21 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Ram Types

Quote:
Originally posted by bigjohnson
I have not given much though until now. In regards to system performance what is the best type of ram to get. That is ECC or nonECC buffered or unbuffered.
If you want speed which type? If you want stability which type? Can you get both?
AidanII's quick guide.

ECC RAM
Nice, expensive, reliable, requires motherboard to support ECC, otherwise no point! For chips such as the KT266/333, ECC requires different physical connections to non-ECC RAM.

ECC RAM works by adding extra bits to the memory (typically 72bits instead of 64bits), and storing an encoded version of the data in the extra bits. When the data is read, the ECC code stored is compared to the ECC code calculated from the data just read. If they match, everything is fine. If they don't, the ECC data is used to reconstruct the original data. The corrected data is then passed on to the device that needs it.

The corrected data is NOT written back to RAM, as this would hit performance badly. Instead, if the error is still there next read, it's corrected just the same was as the first time.

All this funky stuff requires the motherboard to have a memory controller that understands ECC. Use it when you need to have higher reliability and data integrety.

ECC does have a performance hit. I'm not sure how much, as I don't have a board that can take both non-ECC and ECC RAM to test with!

Registered (buffered) RAM

Unregistered and non-buffered RAM are the same thing. Hence, registered and buffered RAM are also the same thing.
Synchronous RAM requires a clock to keep it in synch with everything else. Actually, it requires 4 clocks, but lets not argue. Non-buffered RAM hooks the clock lines straight into the DRAM chips. Registered RAM take a clock line, runs it into a PLL, which then provides the feed for the DRAM chips.

The difference? Registered RAM allows more DRAM chips on each clock line, as the clock lines on the motherboard are not loaded down by so many RAM chips. This might help with overclocking, as the lighter the load on clock lines, the easier it is to get a clean signal.

Note the might. Anyone want to benchmark and see?

AidanII
Old 30th July, 2002, 02:06 PM
Banned

Thanks aidan, that was very informative .
Old 30th July, 2002, 11:51 PM

AidanII, great reply! That is worth a print! Thank you.
Old 1st August, 2002, 10:37 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

I happen to run a gig of registered ECC in my KG7, however, I have no variations on that ram since a friend fried it

going to be working up a dual processor rig soonish for linux server stuff and of course, finally, folding

so i'll try and get some benchmarks in then
Old 1st August, 2002, 11:03 PM

I may have to experiment with different ram. I ran SiSoft Sandra and my pc (sig block) runs great. Better in many ways than a P4 2 g. But my ram appears to be a great deal slower than ddr and rd ram.
Old 2nd August, 2002, 01:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

Excellent information Aidan! So refreshing to see such good information in one tiny place