AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th August, 2002, 01:06 AM

Can't Fdisk or Format

I moved an IDE HD from a W 2000P networked machine to a W 98 non-networked machine. The drive has a C and D partition. I had no trouble formatting the C drive, but the D drive will not format or delete on Fdisk.

How can I format the D section of this drive? The C drive is running W 98 ok, the D doesn't show on Explorer.

Thanks,

Sherm
Old 20th August, 2002, 01:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

If the D partition is in NTFS, you'll need to move it to an NTFS box to format it. Using a Win98 boot cd should allow you to format and even wipe the part. What OS are you planning to put on it, or are you just wanting to wipe it?
Old 20th August, 2002, 02:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

I was under the (maybe false) assumption that you can wipe out an NTFS partition with FDisk by going to the Unrecognized Formatted Partition and wiping it. It won't be read, but it says something like that.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August, 2002, 04:44 AM

I solved the problem by formating C drive, installing W 2k Pro and then formatting D. I then reformatted C.

However I am having trouble installing W 98 on the drive. After I run setup the machine goes to the Blue screen where it checks the disk etc. It stays here for a split second and goes back to an A prompt, refusing to install W 98.

It does this with multiple Startup disks. The drive has 2 partitions and C is active. Any ideas how to solve this.

Sherm
Old 20th August, 2002, 05:16 AM
Member/Contributer

2 solutions....

1). If it's a well known hard drive manufacturer check the web site. They should have a copy of their instalation disk on there. Most use something like disk doctor.

2). Get a copy of partition magic and run it on the hard drive. You may be able to find a share-ware of pk magic.

I'm no big fan of the disk doctor program but in a pinch it will do the job. I may have the proper names of the programs wrong but look and you will find something to help you out.
----------------------------------------------

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August, 2002, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dsherm112
I solved the problem by formating C drive, installing W 2k Pro and then formatting D. I then reformatted C.
What format are the drives? NTFS, FAT or FAT32??

Windows 98 will not install on a NTFS formatted partition (won't even see it).
Old 20th August, 2002, 03:35 PM

The NTFS format was the problem. I solved it by installing W2kp on the C drive and then formatting the D drive.

Thanks for the help.

Sherm
Old 20th August, 2002, 04:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Max193 Send a message via Yahoo to Max193

The simplest solution - get a LLF (Low level Formatter) from your HD manufacturer' s web site. This little pgm just formats anything

;-)