AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th August, 2002, 04:48 AM

transferring data

i'm anything but a hardware expert, and i need to know if it's possible for me to transfer the contents of a hard drive onto another hard drive, specifically music...since i have about 800 songs that i don't have on cds. i'm hoping i don't have to spend money to get a cd burner just to transfer the music. first, i'm wondering if there's any way to do it without using a cd burner, and second, if there isn't a way, i'm wondering if the cd-rw drives that come with most computers can be taken out (so i could stick it in the old computer for a while to make the cds and tehn put it back in the new one)

thanks for any help
Old 20th August, 2002, 04:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

you could just stick the harddrive you want the music on into the old system- copy the music onto it and then place it back. and yes you can transfer cdroms
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August, 2002, 02:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

yeah, what he said Just drop the drive you want all your files copied from to the system with the drive you want to copy them to. You'll have to change the jumper on the back of the drive to be set as SLAVE, then plug it into the primary IDE. The BIOS should detect it and populate it as a new drive letter in Windows for you. You can then just do a copy and paste of all your files from the drive with the music on it to whichever folder or location you choose on your C drive. After that, you can power down, remove the old drive with the music on it, put the jumper back to MASTER and pop it in the other box, boot her up and you're golden. If you run into any snags, by all means let us know so's we can help ya
Old 20th August, 2002, 03:25 PM
Banned

Re: transferring data

Quote:
Originally posted by resolnaisa
...since i have about 800 songs that i don't have on cds
Be careful how you phrase things, one could conclude based on that statement these are not MP3s of music you own and hence "stolen" property (falls into some rules territory)...

With that being said , Welcome to the forums .

I don't know of any CD RW drives that won't work in just about any system. And, like spyder suggests, you can add the drive to the system and then copy them...
Old 20th August, 2002, 08:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Pinky pinky pinky :-D Ya know what i did- i have atleast 200 cd's- i ripped all of them and then put them in storage because i just dont have the room nor the want to load a diff cd every time i want to hear a diff artist.
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th August, 2002, 12:02 PM

I solved the storing of mp3's at least for me. I got an mp3 player kit that uses an 20gb laptop hard drive. It cost around $150. It also can serve as an external dirve.
It is called a Roopaq. A real neat gadget.