AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th August, 2002, 01:02 AM

Hard Drive Slave?

Has anyone got a link to a site that explains how to set-up a second (used w/info but need to clear it) hard drive as a slave. A friend just installed a new HDD, Copied everything from the old to new and wants to empty the old one and install only his games on the slave. I told him how but........ he wants to see it in writing. He is running Win98se, both HDD's are WesternDigitals. He is driving me nuts with this one

2nd Rig, MSI K7N2 Delta 2, XP-3200 Barton, Global Win CK-38 w/60mm Delta, 9600XT, XP Pro

99% of all computer problems are sitting in front of the monitor But.... so is the Solution!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th August, 2002, 01:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Two ways:

One way (I use successfully): Set both the Master (main drive) and the Second drive (slave) to C/S (Cable Select) via the jumpers on the drives themselves. Then, the Main drive will be on the terminating end of the IDE cable. The placement of the drives on the cable with cable/select determines which is which.

Two: Set the Main drive's jumpers to Master and the Slave drive's jumpers to Slave and place them with the Main drive on the terminating end of the IDE cable and the Slave drive on the middle outlet.

Then, boot to BIOS and make sure the BIOS sees both drives as what they are. Just 'poke' around the BIOS a bit, you'll probably see how to do that. If not, just ask, or check on Google for BIOS configuration info for your bios.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th August, 2002, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Orbit
Two ways:

One way (I use successfully): Set both the Master (main drive) and the Second drive (slave) to C/S (Cable Select) via the jumpers on the drives themselves. Then, the Main drive will be on the terminating end of the IDE cable. The placement of the drives on the cable with cable/select determines which is which.

Two: Set the Main drive's jumpers to Master and the Slave drive's jumpers to Slave and place them with the Main drive on the terminating end of the IDE cable and the Slave drive on the middle outlet.

Then, boot to BIOS and make sure the BIOS sees both drives as what they are. Just 'poke' around the BIOS a bit, you'll probably see how to do that. If not, just ask, or check on Google for BIOS configuration info for your bios.
I think I should have made myself more clear on what he dos'ent believe. I already set everything up like you said and transfered everything from the old HDD to the new(now the Master) HDD. Now he wants to dump all the info from the slave( old HDD) and use it only to install and play games from.

2nd Rig, MSI K7N2 Delta 2, XP-3200 Barton, Global Win CK-38 w/60mm Delta, 9600XT, XP Pro

99% of all computer problems are sitting in front of the monitor But.... so is the Solution!
Old 27th August, 2002, 02:15 AM

cool. that's even easier.
If you've already got it setup, and it works, and you see both drives in Windows Exploder... AND, it's booting to the C: drive, and if you want the D: drive as slave, just format the D: drive from your Win98 Boot disk if you want. Or, just use Windows Exploder to delete EVERYTHING in D: I generally just format it, just to make it very clean. BUT:::make SURE it boots to C: first.

When you're formatting D: from the WIN98 Boot disk, just boot to A: with the disk in, then type: format D: and make SURE it says D: or, you'll lose your o/s. Always double check before you hit the enter key.

I do this, too.... I have two 40gb drives that are each split into two 20gb partitions, and I install my games on my F: drive, and a lot of my programs on my E: drive. Works perfectly.

That way, I can share some of the stuff with Win2K when I boot into it.

Last edited by Orbit; 27th August, 2002 at 02:18 AM.
Old 27th August, 2002, 03:03 AM

Thanks Orbit I'll Print this just to show him that I was right. I also have 2 HDD both 30gig Quantum Fireballs, I use my slave only for games. I havent figured out why he did'nt beleve me because he knows how often I fdisk (every few months). he is one of those people that never opens his case,untill I met him he would take it to a shop to be cleaned . I blew his mind yesterday and removed everything from his case so he could clean it and see that it's not that big a deal

Thanks Again :-D

Old 27th August, 2002, 04:23 AM

You're most welcome, SW...
Heh.. watch out, next thing you know, your friend will be water coolin' !