AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st August, 2002, 06:49 AM

Turbo Cool 300w power supply, is this any good??

Does anybody know about this power supply??? Epox Tech has always said that when choosing a power supply for the PC, its not the "Total Wattage" you should look at but its the "Quality" of the power being supplied that is actually important. Could this be one of those top end power supplies??? It is pretty expensive for a 300 watter.

http://www.directron.com/turbocool300.html

http://www.aapspower.com/higper.html
Old 31st August, 2002, 04:08 PM
Banned

And what I think he realy means is how much the rails are allowed to fluctuate to stay in spec and what's the total wattage being spllied to the combined 5v and 3.3v rails.

Example, bought an Antec SL400watt recently because the total between the 5v and 3.3v was 240watts which is plenty for any overclocking I'll ever be doing.
Old 31st August, 2002, 09:36 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Alas, the 300W Turbo-Cool PS from PC Power&Cooling's critical 3.3v + 5v Wattage rating(for K7's) isn't sufficient to run modern Athlon's. Buy in haste, repent at leasure. Ask the guy with the 300W Turbo-Cool!

Nonetheless, the 300W Turbo-Cool does run a 850 Duron on an Asus A7S-VM mainboard just fine. The reason why is that the A7S-VM is a all-in-one budget Micro-ATX mobo for mainly Biz use. Everything, the Video, Sound and a LAN card is built-in to the mobo. It handles a Voodoo 3/2K fine. That's the only PCI card on the mobo. They draw very little power by today's standards.

It uses the SiS 730S chipset, which has little demand for power.

The 350W Turbo-Cool is up to the task of running an Athlon or Athlon XP. Its only advantage over a Sparkle 350 is that its 3.3v rail is regulated to 1%, vs. 4%. Big price difference, too. $71.20, shipped from PC P&C. The SPI Sparkle 350 is $42, shipped from Newegg.

Nevertheless, PC Power&Cooling's PS's are generally acknowledged as the finest. However, many folks consider Sparkle's PS's to be the best 2nd best. Personally, I'd go PC P&C only. Realistically, I ordered a Sparkle 350 yesterday.
Old 1st September, 2002, 05:49 AM

The PS that cloasters is talking aboyut is the same one I have in my Main rig and see what it is doing for me, see my sig, and I got it from newegg, you can't go wrong.
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2002, 05:25 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lionfish
The PS that cloasters is talking aboyut is the same one I have in my Main rig and see what it is doing for me, see my sig, and I got it from newegg, you can't go wrong.
Lionfish, if you get a chance to, would you please clarify which PS you meant? SPI Sparkle or PC P&C? 300W or 350W? TIA!
Old 1st September, 2002, 08:30 PM

I believe he meant the SPARKLE 350w psu
Old 2nd September, 2002, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JayJay
I believe he meant the SPARKLE 350w psu
The PS in my main rig in my sig.

Sparkle :-D
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd September, 2002, 10:40 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you for the clarification! I'm developing a fondness for Mr Sparkle 350 Watters. So far, the tooth fairy refuses to stuff large stacks of bucks under my pillow. When this happens, cough, I'll be a PC Power & Cooling kinda guy, exclusively.