AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st September, 2002, 04:03 AM

Question Best way to block magnetic field

My water pump is putting of a magnetic field that is causing my monitor to shake (I also worry about what it could be doing to the rest of my system). What would be the best way to shield the pump from everything else. I currently have the pump covered in aluminum foil and it seemed to make SOME difference, but not much. Any better ideas. I i were to make a cover out of sheet metal would that help?

Watercooled Barton 2500+ AGOIA-Y @ 2300 (11.5x200) 1.85v
Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2002, 06:07 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Re: Best way to block magnetic field

Quote:
Originally posted by WyrmMaster
I currently have the pump covered in aluminum foil and it seemed to make SOME difference, but not much. Any better ideas. I i were to make a cover out of sheet metal would that help?
In theory it would help try grounding the foil or adding another layer. If you build a sheet metal box for it, it would lessen the amount of field effecting your monitor. Crazy question but how is your pump powered. Ive seen dc motors send spikes back through their feed and that ripple may be affecting your videocard.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2002, 07:34 AM

Pump is pluged into the same power strip as the rest of my system. You think i should try it in another outlet?

Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Old 1st September, 2002, 08:01 AM

I tried pluggin the pump into a different outlet and it didnt make any difference. However, plugging the MONITOR into that outlet seems to have clear up MOST of the issue. I used to have to run @100hz to keep it from shaking, which my monitor isnt supposed to do, and even though it workes fine, it causes it to have a very high pitched whine @ 60 hz if it has been run over 85 for very long. Its still there at 85, but not as noticable. I may get an extension cord and try running the pump from accross the room tomorrow.

Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Old 1st September, 2002, 10:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

is it a cheap monitor? They should have sheileding of their own if from I think MPRII up.
Old 1st September, 2002, 04:00 PM

Its a KDS trinitron. Not a cheap one, but not an expensive one either i think. And it does seem to have a metal screen inside, i know my 17in dell trini does, but i havent taken this one apart yet.

Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400