AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st September, 2002, 12:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Con

Specification for new PC

Anyone got any arguements for or against the following?

Case Chieftec Scorpio TA-10BLD ATX Case (Blue)
CD Writer Liteon 40x12x48 Smart-burn EIDE Internal CD-RW Drive Retail Box
DVD Rom Drive Liteon 16x48 IDE Internal DVD Drive - Retail Box + Power Dvd
Floppy Disk Drive Alps 3.5 1.44Mb FDD - OEM
Keyboard And Mouse Memorex MX5200 M/M K/B +MX4300 RF Mouse in White Bundle
Motherboard Abit AT7Max KT333 266 MHZ ATA133 4xAGP 4xDDR
Proccessor AMD Athlon XP2200
Heat Sink ThermalRight AX-7 Socket
Fan For Sink YSTech 80mm 3pin
Hard Drive Cavier SE Hard Drive 80Gb EIDE 8.9Ms 7200rpm 8Mb Cache - OEM
Memory 2 * 256MB, 184-pin DIMM PC2700
Graphics Card Gainward Geforce4 Powerpack! Ultra/650 /agp 64mb Ddr Ti-4200 Chipset

totalling £824.02

Old 1st September, 2002, 03:44 PM
Banned

I likes

Similar to what I'll end up grabbing in a few months.

Couple suggestions. Get a 45-50cfm fan for the AX-7 if you're planning on overclocking, I used a 32cfm and it's not cool enough for 1.8ghz+ range (hence, found me a 50cfm).

Also, for a couple of extra bucks get PC3000 or higher memory (if available). The KT333 board go to 190mhz+ bus speed (with the 1/5 divider) without breaking a sweat, but you have to be certain your memory will go there with the most aggressive timings... again, if you're overclocking this .
Old 1st September, 2002, 04:03 PM

The Caviar HDD is a Western Digital right??? Personally, I'd go with a 7200rpm Maxtor instead.

How about a monitor??? Go for at least a 17in Flat displays NOT LCD Flat monitors are really nice for the eyes.
Old 1st September, 2002, 05:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Con

The WD drive has 8mb of cache, so its gonna be a **** load faster than the seagate!

ive got a monitor thanks
Old 1st September, 2002, 06:27 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA, Con!

Yep, that's a rather drool with envy machine you are planning. Personally, I suggest buying(if you're gonna OC) an 68 cfm 80mm Delta(loud!) or(not for OCing) 80mm ~50 cfm Sunon(much quieter) instead of a YS Tech CPU fan.

While Maxtor makes ATA-133 HDD's, they seem to offer a very limited improvement in performance over ATA-100 HDD's. The WD SE's simply kick the proverbial donkey. Very desirable!

I'd make sure that the case you want moves at least 100 cfm through itself. I'm not familiar with the case on your list, but you shouldn't need to cut it and install your own fans to get that magic 100 cfm.

You don't mention what brand of PC-2700 you want to buy. It would be worth asking for people's recommendations here. Some mainboard's are finicky about RAM. DDR has accentuated this issue.

No power supply is listed. Traditionally, who give's a hoot about the PS, they are all good, neh?

Not anymore! K7 CPU's suck power by the ton. If you can afford it, a 425W Turbo-Cool or Silencer 400 from PC Power & Cooling is just the ticket. In the land of the real wallet, folks like SPI Sparkle PS's a lot, including me. A 350W will suffice. With an eye to the future, a 400W model is a wise investment.

Have fun building your box!
Old 2nd September, 2002, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
I likes

Similar to what I'll end up grabbing in a few months.

Couple suggestions. Get a 45-50cfm fan for the AX-7 if you're planning on overclocking, I used a 32cfm and it's not cool enough for 1.8ghz+ range (hence, found me a 50cfm).

Also, for a couple of extra bucks get PC3000 or higher memory (if available). The KT333 board go to 190mhz+ bus speed (with the 1/5 divider) without breaking a sweat, but you have to be certain your memory will go there with the most aggressive timings... again, if you're overclocking this .
45-50 cfm. Please

Get a man's fan 68-80 cfm Can you hear me now?
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd September, 2002, 12:48 PM

Dont buy a delta.

If your planning on overclocking get water.
I cant stand the noise of a delta, LF is just ingoring it casue of his 1.9gig overclock , I bet its anoying his dogs though.

Id definately get some corshair 3200 cas-2 memory as well, 200fsb goodness.

Also check that your motherboard will support the new Xp-2600 AMD CPUs, you might want to upgrade in the future.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd September, 2002, 01:58 PM
Banned

I bought a tornado 80cfm 80mm for fun and it was way too loud. Add to that the fact it requires almost 1A to run, and you have a quick re-sale (to thundr).

I agree with Holst, water is ideal, but it's a bit more work and money... and we're not at the point in OC'ing where we HAVE to go water. My house box-fan is louder than my PC, so until that changes I think I'm okay.
Old 2nd September, 2002, 10:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

After more than two years of self-abuse from Delta 38 cfm 60mm's, their 68-80 cfm 80mm's HAVE to be an improvement. Prolly just as loud, but the lower frequency noise won't drill holes in my teeth.