AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd September, 2002, 12:56 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Strange problem

Im attempting to get a PC working again for someone. It refuses to even power up unless i unplug the FDD and both CDROMS. I swapped out the PSU for a different one in case it was knackered and couldnt fire the lot up. its odd when its all plugged togeather and you hit power, the pwr LED blips and thats it. without it all fired up as normal. Im planning to test my CDROM on it. that should show whether it is indeed a pair of knackered CDROMs or the system as a whole doesnt like CDroms. Anyone had similar problems?

system is a p3 @ 633 think its overclocked cos I am unaware of a SLOT 1 P3 that was sold with a 133mhz FSB as standard

Mobo is a decent looking gigabyte one. Ill get the model when i next take a look at the machine.

has 128mb ram and my old matrox G400 because im generous, and it had more grunt than their old card.

both PSU's i tried were 230watters. On was no-name one was macron

Any suggestions welcome, i find it hard to believe a that the CDROMs could really cause this kind of problem.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd September, 2002, 02:44 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Pull the MOBO out of the case and try to fire it up. Sounds like maybe a screw fell in there and is shorting the MOBO out.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2002, 12:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

there was no 633- sounds like a clearing of the cmos is in order....
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 4th September, 2002, 02:05 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via ICQ to R0BB23 Send a message via AIM to R0BB23 Send a message via MSN to R0BB23 Send a message via Yahoo to R0BB23

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
Pull the MOBO out of the case and try to fire it up. Sounds like maybe a screw fell in there and is shorting the MOBO out.

Rob
Im with rob here it sounds like mobo problem.

And remember robs are never wrong :-D

"Opinions are like kittens, I'm giving them away."
-Modest Mouse
Old 7th September, 2002, 03:15 AM

Perhaps.... But why would it be lucky enough to short only when everything is plugged in?

Perhaps it isn't beefy enough of a PSU? I don't know (cuz I've never dealt with a system like that's PSU), but that's what it sounds like the problem might be to me.

PS, Random Nonsense, I thought that you stole my chicken avatar for a moment. Then I saw your add on from all those months ago. Had me wondering there for a sec!

JigPu
Old 7th September, 2002, 12:05 PM

Sounds like the southbridge might be broken.

Try a decent PSU and also the CDrom and floppy on your box.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.