AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th September, 2002, 10:20 PM

time for a new PC..

Just about to order this, i was wondering if you guys had any input as to any improvements I should make.

I already own,

Pioneer 16X Slot DVD Drive
Philips 12x8x32
Sonic Fury Soundcard

This i will buy for £490

>AMD *Retail Box* Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67 GHz) with AMD Heat Sink Fan
> 128Mb Chaintech GT20 Ti4200 Ge-Force 4 DVi TV Out
> Epox 8K3A KT333 DDR ATA133
> 80Gb Western Digital (WD800JB) ATA-100 (7200rpm, 8MB Cache, 8.5ms)
> Coolermaster AAC 001 Heat Sink & Fan (5400 RPM)
> Enermax Case Fan 80mm (FANVC9FAB)
> Scan 6043 Midi Tower Case 300W PFC
> 256Mb PC2700 (PC333) DDR Memory (Major)

NO idea what monitor I should get, im off to Uni soon, so i was thinking about an LCD to save valuable space, any recommendations?

Rich
Old 11th September, 2002, 01:04 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

You can get the CPU for less if you don't get a retail version. This'll give you more money to play with for getting a better cooler, and possibly some monitor money, too

Which resellers were you looking at?
Old 11th September, 2002, 08:09 AM

resellers

Scan and Aria.

Strangely, the retail version can be brought for cheaper than the OEM version on the scan site, about £15 cheaper, if u include VAT, whihc i find puzzling to say the least!

RIch
Old 11th September, 2002, 01:07 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Scan are odd like that :/
Old 11th September, 2002, 02:34 PM

Yeh, well i asked Scan, and they said "We buy in bulk".

fair enough i guess - im not complaining!

Rich
Old 11th September, 2002, 03:04 PM

Spec looks fine.

Get crucial ram not scan generic crap. (www.crucial.com)

Check prices on ebuyer.co.uk and dabs.com (ebuyer is free postage over £100)

If your planning on overclocking then you can save some cash (not sure how much) by getting a Xp-1600 and overclocking it (they all run 1700mhz min on air)

LCD is VERY expensive you are better off with a good 17"

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th September, 2002, 03:09 PM

TAke your point about RAM, crucial would be better, and not much more expensive.

Monitor is still a talking point ... i RLLY do need to save room in my Uni room.. im having to share it for the first term as well :P

i was looking to spend about £300.. surely i cud pick up an LCD for that.. or is it worth waiting.. til they come down in price more.. and just get a 17" flat screen for now?

RIch
Old 12th September, 2002, 01:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

On the monitor:
If you're going to be doing any graphics work, I believe a CRT has a much better display (finer). In the US, they sell 15" LCD's for around $300, and the viewing area is 'larger' than a 15" CRT.
LCD's are nice, but they have drawbacks... I guess my biggest complaint is that you pretty much have to look right straight at to see it clearly.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th September, 2002, 02:32 PM

they sell for about £300 here in the UK - which is a tad on the expensive side, and nice one has to be nearer £400.

I heard that they were not so good for games due to the refresh rate.. is that true?

oooh, and also..

is there a big difference between CL 2, and CL 2.5?
and does the arrangement of RAM in differenent slots make any difference to the subsequent performance of it?

sooo many questions i kno.. but im trying to learn!

RIch

Last edited by magicrichard; 12th September, 2002 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12th September, 2002, 05:04 PM
Banned

I play games with my NEC 15" LCD and never have any issues. there is a 45ms delay, but that's not much in the grand scheme of things...
Old 12th September, 2002, 10:18 PM

wot du mean 45ms isnt MUCH!!!!! yeh ok, i agree, its not that much, where does the delay come from?

RIch
Old 13th September, 2002, 04:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by magicrichard
wot du mean 45ms isnt MUCH!!!!! yeh ok, i agree, its not that much, where does the delay come from?
Something to do with the image rendering process on LCD screens, from my understanding... no refresh rate, instead a delay...
Old 13th September, 2002, 05:28 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

Something to do with the image rendering process on LCD screens, from my understanding... no refresh rate, instead a delay...
The delay is the maximum time that it takes a pixel to change from black to white (or any color inbetween). In an LCD with a digital input the screen is not redrawn 60/sec, instead once every 1/60 of a sec pixels that need to be changed are and pixels that do not need to be changed aren't given any signal and they remain the same.

The viewible size of an LCD screen is the actual size of the screen, but a CRT screen is measured from the outside dimentions of the tube. Therefor an LCD is approx equal to a CRT 2 inches bigger.

A CRT will have better performance than a LCD and be cheaper but the gap is closing everyday. One major advantage of a CRT is the ability to change resolutions. An LCD can also change resolutions but it does it by "pixel doulbing". That means the pixels don't change size (as in a CRT) but some pixels are doubled and some are not (unless useing direct multiple ie:1600x1200 running @ 800x600), this is called uneven pixel doubling. It can cause a very distorted and poor picture. This will be absolutly no problem as long as you run your LCD at its native resolution.

So if you plan on getting an LCD you need to make sure your vid card can run at the native resolution of the LCD with all the eye candy you want turned on. And not only for todays games but also for game of the next 2 years.

To make a long story short I would get a high quality 19" Flat Square Tube CRT and shoehorn it into where ever it needed to fit.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 13th September, 2002, 10:26 AM

hmm - ok i never realised that this was gonna be such a hard decision.

Well i have to say that a 19" monitor is out of the question in a Uni room, as nice as it would be, but i guess running 1024x768 for the next few years might drive me insane.

SO i guess it will have to be a 17" flatscreen then altho..
IF i had my heart set on a 15" LCD, what would you advise me to look out for?

I have a GF4 Ti4200 128MB if that helps.

RIch
Old 13th September, 2002, 10:38 AM

Definatley get CAS-2 memory.

As for the screen a £300 TFT will be ok for desktop work but not much use for gaming, you need to spend big £££ to get a good gaming screen.

A high quality 17" CRT is going to be the best bet, I found that easy to take to uni especially if you add a TV card to your PC.
A friend of mine got a 19" and it was a bit of a pain moving it about, but he managed ok.

Old 13th September, 2002, 10:52 AM

what about the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 750SB??

"17in Diamondtron M2 tube, 16in viewable diagonal, 0.25mm aperture grille pitch, maximum resolution of 1,600 x 1,200 at 76Hz, non-interlaced vertical refresh, captive D-SUB input, TCO 99 certified. Cabinet depth: 423mm. Weight: 17.2kg"

Does the Epox 8k3a support CAS 2?

Rich
Old 13th September, 2002, 12:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

Monitor looks fine. Thats not a bad depth. And it's the depth thats the worry.

And yes it does.
Old 13th September, 2002, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by magicrichard
what about the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 750SB??

"17in Diamondtron M2 tube, 16in viewable diagonal, 0.25mm aperture grille pitch, maximum resolution of 1,600 x 1,200 at 76Hz, non-interlaced vertical refresh, captive D-SUB input, TCO 99 certified. Cabinet depth: 423mm. Weight: 17.2kg"

Does the Epox 8k3a support CAS 2?

Rich
I think that mitsubishi has the same (or very similar
) tube to my IIyama, very nice monitor.

8k3a does support cas-2 (and other agressive memory timing)

Old 16th September, 2002, 04:36 AM

Magicrichard, you are going to need a better power supply. Find something 400W or better.
Join the revolution! Eliminate floppy drives forever! Buy a $20 compact flash reader and a couple CF cards. These come in internal designs that you can put in a 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" bay, as well as external! Encourage motherboard manufacturers to include this with their boards. It's a cheap PCB, folks. It shouldn't add more than $5 to the cost.
Please feel free to copy this and put it in your own sig.
Old 16th September, 2002, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Magicrichard, you are going to need a better power supply. Find something 400W or better.
OK, well ive now actually built that system, and bar a very annoying NV4_disp.dll problem, its very very smooth.

What would you suggest and why?

Rich