AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th October, 2001, 06:46 PM

Rounded SCSI cables and aggressive OCing...

Okay, this might be amusing to the oldschool OCers here that push their systems to the breaking point (like me!)...

I moved my machine from full tower to rackmount, and in doing so added a rounded SCSI cable to help neaten the internal wiring. Worked nicely.

BUT...

I found that my stable OC limit dropped from 148 FSB (1035 MHz out of my P3-700) to 144 FSB (1008 MHz), with all other aspects of the system unchanged except for that cable. By "stable," I mean that the system can run all existing common benchmarks (3D Mark 2001, Sandra 2001, etc.), games, and burn-in/system-abusing apps (CPUburn, SETI@Home, etc.) without crashing statistically more often than the same box does at stock speed.

I yanked the rounded and swapped my flat cable back into the box, and poof, right back to 148 FSB. Now if I could only get my PCI cards to handle a >36.5MHz PCI bus I could go higher - this chip will post at 160 FSB (1120 MHz) if nothing's in the box but the video card.

At any rate, the nutshell is this: rounded SCSI cables in particular can have a surprisingly bad impact on the safe overclocking potential of a system, far more obviously than rounded ATA cables do.

Anyone wanna buy a perfect-condition rounded SCSI cable?

oO

Making the world less safe for newbies since 1983

(Avatar blatantly stolen from 8-Bit Theater)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2001, 07:13 PM

Oddone...

Wonder if there's some multi-wire induction happening in the cable because of the long parallel runs?

Of course, all things being equal, I would suspect a bad cable first... and as a side note of the above, perhaps bad shielding as insulation demands would certainly increase in a rounded environment...

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!