AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th September, 2002, 04:04 PM

Pics of Dual CPU systems.

Lets be having them then.

Some of you guys must have some cool looking dually boxes.
What cooling you got ? Is it overclocked ?

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2002, 04:15 PM

Mines not here yet
Would ya like pics from unpacking through the final running rig?
Old 20th September, 2002, 04:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Look at mine
Old 20th September, 2002, 04:21 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

If my cunning plan comes togeather expect piccies... but not until next month

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2002, 05:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I want a dual Xeon rig, anyone willing to loan me some money?

Actually, someone currently owes me enough money to build a nice SMP rig, though getting them to cough up the cash is proving to be extremely difficult! Depending on how things look when I manage to get paid what is owed me(if it ever happens), I may just splurge on dual CPU setup. It's been a full year since I've built myself a completely new system.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 21st September, 2002, 05:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Dont you hate it when friends are clients..... and you see they are starting a buisness so you charge like only the minimum you need to build the PC'S and then come back alter after they make some $$$ and say....... ok- can you pay me the other $2000 for the bid?
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 21st September, 2002, 06:14 AM

It's not a matter of friends or PCs, but a matter of family and money lent with the impression given that I would be paid back in relatively little time. $1800 is a lot of money to lend in good faith, I'm either really nice, or just a sucker.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th September, 2002, 11:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to himura-dono

dimmreaper, you sound like me.... >_<"

so now, instead of finishing my dually with the money i would have had (if i hadn't been a nice guy), i wind up having to pay my tuition till my appeal goes through. x_X
Old 26th September, 2002, 09:49 PM

Jeff - Is this what you are talking about? It's well worth the money. Specs can be found here.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Dual CPU systems.-xeon-box-600x510.jpg  

If the supercooled, overclocking crowd discovers how fast duallies feel, there will be a stampede to build SMP rigs that will make the California gold rush look like a few little old ladies pushing shopping carts at the supermarket.
Old 27th September, 2002, 07:32 AM

That's the stuff Colin! Though the swiftech setup isn't my style. How are the dual Xeon boards in terms of overclocking? I wouldn't expect much in that department, but I'd be thrilled to hear otherwise.

I'm a bit curious to see what kind of a performance hyperthreading will bring to Folding@Home when multiple processes are run(FAH throws a lot of dependant instructions the CPU's way, so in theory it should help to some degree). Wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?

I hope Intel gets around to some dual channel DDR action soon, hopefully they have an SMP capable dual DDR solution in the works.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th September, 2002, 11:34 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Hey colin! long time no see!

Nice rig, not many people have Xeons they can show off

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 27th September, 2002, 07:35 PM

This is my humble AMD dually rig.

I built this computer in it's present form with the A7M266-D board about 3 months ago as a single proc system and finally added the other processor about 2 months ago. I'm cooling it with 2-Maze1C waterblocks, because they use the socket clips for mounting. The Asus board doesn't have the 4 holes around the sockets. I'm running 2-XP2000+ procs in it at 1763/141 fsb and no problems. The case was originally built for pelt cooling a P3 1.26S server proc, which I got up to 1713 mhz at over 180 fsb. Even at that speed, it still wouldn't outfold my old Tbird at 1400, so I decided to try a dual system out with this case. The gray electrical box you see mounted on top is where the pelt psu resides. It is big enough to run a 24v, 172 watt pelt. My future plans are to move the present dual system to another SX1240 case and to use this case for exploration into the overclocking abilities of the rev. B Tbred procs, using active cooling measures.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Dual CPU systems.-dually2.jpg  
P4 2.6c@3100, IS7, RBX 478
Dothan 730@2805, P4C800-E Dlx, CPNS7700 Cu
P4 2.4c@3100, IC7-G, Scythe Ninja
X2 4400@2530, Dual SATA2, Big Typhoon
Mobile A64 3000+@2600, DFI LP NF3-250Gb mobo, XP90
Compal CL56 P-M 2.0 laptop,
All Folding@Home
Old 13th October, 2002, 06:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to donny_paycheck Send a message via AIM to donny_paycheck

Dual MP 2000+ @ 1715mhz:
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Dual CPU systems.-2athlons.jpg  
Old 13th October, 2002, 06:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to donny_paycheck Send a message via AIM to donny_paycheck

Dual 1.3 Morgan Durons @ 1470mhz:
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Dual CPU systems.-dualdurons.jpg  
Old 13th October, 2002, 06:52 PM

Dual P3 Xeons, 733mhz, 2mbs L2 cache each:

edit- it's hard to see the CPUs, but they're the big black cartridges. Wish I didn't have to make multiple posts because I have these pics hosted elsewhere, but thanks for being generous with forum bandwidth.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Dual CPU systems.-xeon_flash.jpg  

Last edited by donny_paycheck; 13th October, 2002 at 06:54 PM.
Old 13th October, 2002, 08:33 PM

Very nice rigs Donny! May I ask what you use them for? And which of your two K7 dually boards do you prefer most?

AOA Team fah
Old 13th October, 2002, 10:22 PM

The Durons are on a MSI K7D Master-L and it's by far the best of the 760MPX boards. Reason being, it has voltage and multiplier adjustments in BIOS. No other 760MPX board has this. I bumped up the vcore to 1.8v and got the Morgans to 1470 no problem.

The MP 2000+s are on a Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW and it only has FSB adjustments. I got this first because it had the highest review marks in the Firing Squad 760MPX board roundup. I was able to get the MPs up to 1715mhz from 1667 at default vcore thanks to their AGOIA steppings. If I had them in my MSI I'm sure they'd go a lot higher with more voltage. I wrote a short article about this system here.

The Durons have 512mb of RAM and a little 10 gig drive, they run Folding@Home. The MPs also run F@H, but the system doubles as a file server because I have a 4-drive RAID 5 in it. You can see it in the pic, I used a 3ware escalade 7540 ATA RAID controller and a quartet of 30 gig western digital drives. I originally had the MPs and the GA board in my main system but I decided to move it over and replace it with a single CPU setup in the interest of getting the best performance in video games. I don't do enough serious work to justify a SMP system as my primary machine.
Old 13th October, 2002, 11:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Looks like donny likes the antec cases

Ohh and where did you get those rounded ide cables in your mp rig? those are badass, i want some

Last edited by BigRed; 13th October, 2002 at 11:54 PM.
Old 14th October, 2002, 12:55 AM

Yeah, Antecs = teh r0x0r.

The cables I got from www.kdcomputers.com , right here:
http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/776.htm
Old 25th October, 2002, 05:22 PM

Its obvious why your name is Donny_Paycheck!

Hey, if they arent already spoken for, why not sign up to our F@H team? Would be a great boost to output!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED