AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd October, 2002, 08:42 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

I agree with you on the second part jeff.. it's a nice idea and should result in increased performance

However i'm very shocked most of your software isn't multithreaded, what do you use that isn't?
Old 3rd October, 2002, 08:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

The folding@home core is not multithreaded because the algorithm does not permit it(to much dependancy, even out of order execution doesn't help with these types of simulations). A great number of my games are not multithreaded, or if they are they are not written in such a way that SMP/HyperThreading configurations benefit them much, the big exception is games based on the Q3 engine. And the DivX 5 Codec doesn't seem to be multithreaded(I can't find anything official on it). Those would be the CPU intensive applications I use most.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd October, 2002, 08:56 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

The only games I can think possible not being multithreaded would be things like pong.. and they would work much better threaded!

I'd imagine divx might be multithreaded, the players definately will
Old 4th October, 2002, 03:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Quote:
Originally posted by Winkie
The only games I can think possible not being multithreaded would be things like pong.. and they would work much better threaded!

I'd imagine divx might be multithreaded, the players definately will
Um... there are only like a couple games that are multithreaded (meaning SMP enabled). Q3 comes off the top of my head, and I heard UT2003 utilizes dual cpus.
Old 4th October, 2002, 08:45 AM
Banned

Pretty much every high end game is multithreaded i'd imagine

To check I just started half life, 7 threads

It'd be very VERY hard to make a game with only 1 thread as the game could only do one thing at once.. Even Pong would have worked better as > 1 thread
Old 4th October, 2002, 09:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

I beleive we are talking about somthing else
Im talking about them being SMP enabled, so they use BOTH the cpus. I know for a fact halflife only uses one. Like I said, to my knowledge Q3 and UT2003 are the only games (might be a couple more) that use both the cpus.
I could show cpu load charts to prove it
Old 4th October, 2002, 12:16 PM
Banned

http://www.systemlogic.net/articles/...ultithreading/

Please read this

and, programs using multi CPU are highly dependant on the OS aswell as the program.
Old 5th October, 2002, 03:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Winkie
To check I just started half life, 7 threads
Yes quite a few games are multithreaded, but they are severely lacking in terms of thread-level parallelism. This is what I was talking about when early I said "or if they are they are not written in such a way that SMP/HyperThreading configurations benefit them much". If one thread utilizes 100% of one CPU and the other threads combined utilize only 10% of the other CPU, then even though you have twice the computational power with two CPUs, the software is only 10% faster. In the case of hyperthreading, low thread-level parallelism can actually reduce performance because execution parallelism is decreased. Future CPUs may have ways of dealing with low thread-level parallelism, I'd even bet that is what "PNI" is going to be all about, but current SMP/HyperThreading configurations don't deal well with it . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th October, 2002, 03:40 AM
Banned

Yup, I completely agree with you Jeff.. I just wanted to clear up any confusion we had.

Either way, hyperthreading will be a good idea

72 Processor sunfires on the other hand