AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th September, 2002, 02:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Biohazard

concept of duallie?

alright so i wonna make a duallie?
NEED INFO!

How does a beast like this work? does it run the 2cpus as one set of Mhz? like add em up of can u have 2 hdd and a split graphic card and run 2pcs with one or wot? explain to whole concept to me plz some one with LOTS of time on there hands

Rig 2
AMD XP2000+/MSI Ultra2/ATI Radeon 9000/Kingston 256Mb PC2100/Seagate 60GB 5200RPM
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2002, 04:59 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

One board, one gfx card etc, just 2 cpu's some operating systems can split tasks between them, UT on one, winamp on another for example.

The cpu's run at the same speed, i believe you get in general a 50-80% performance increase.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2002, 06:05 PM

ok so ur saying..

i CAN run 2 diff monitors with one on those gfx that have to output for monitor and play on one and have desktop on the other yeh?

Rig 2
AMD XP2000+/MSI Ultra2/ATI Radeon 9000/Kingston 256Mb PC2100/Seagate 60GB 5200RPM
Old 27th September, 2002, 06:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Most people think the concept of a dulaie is that the mhz of the 2 processors adds up. In my case I have 2 1.45ghz p3s, most people say "wow 2.9ghz"
Thats not the case, Everything still runs at 1.45ghz, BUT you can do twice (or more) as much stuff without things bogging down.
I can encode a divx file and game at the same time, or run 1 instance of F@H and game at the same time (each program would have 1 cpu).
There are a few programs that are multithreaded that will use 2 cpus, but they are few and far between. I got mine mainly for the multitasking
Im currently burning a cd, have 6 IE windows open, playing windows media player for music (resource HOG), watching tv on my tv card, anc copying files from one hard drive to the other and each cpu is only at 70%
Now im running 1 instance of folding with everything else with no slowing cpu1 = 100% cpu2= 80%
Old 30th September, 2002, 04:48 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Quote:
Originally posted by Biohazard
ok so ur saying..

i CAN run 2 diff monitors with one on those gfx that have to output for monitor and play on one and have desktop on the other yeh?
You can do that on a single CPU system too though!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 30th September, 2002, 07:39 PM

yeh but guess wot! Multi monitor on one CPU pc would use up more CPU power and crash the system??

Rig 2
Old 30th September, 2002, 07:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

No..... not at all...... must people that use duals do video/ sound editing- host game servers- or run networks due to their ability to handle a mass work load. Anyone can run dual monitors without it affecting the CPU usage...
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 30th September, 2002, 08:06 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I run duel monitores, this is a Video card capibilty, your card has it ot it doesn't. But you need not have a expencive card to do it. a GF4 400 can do it nicely":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th September, 2002, 08:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Since when does dan run duel????
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 30th September, 2002, 09:09 PM

dual monitors spyder not CPU's

Looks like im not joining the duallie club until sledgehammer....

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 30th September, 2002, 09:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Since you guys all went home (Camp AOA) and I had to either return my NEC 17" to the basement or hook it up! ":O}

I REALLY REALLY like the two monitor set up. I use the second mon. to keep all my utilities up as well as WinAMP, (Thanks Suryjoe!)
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 1st October, 2002, 05:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Looks like im not joining the duallie club until sledgehammer....
I think dual opteron boards are going to be priced very similarly to dual Xeon boards, ~$400 with minimal integration, ouch no?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 1st October, 2002, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRed
There are a few programs that are multithreaded that will use 2 cpus, but they are few and far between.
Once Intel incorporates symetric-multi-threading(i.e. two threads running on one CPU at the same time, AKA HyperThreading) on desktop CPUs, they are supposed to do this with 3.05GHz and faster Pentium 4s, software developed after that time will be multithreaded whenever possible.

AOA Team fah
Old 1st October, 2002, 09:23 AM

Jeff, Im gonna be getting a job soon money no object after that!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 2nd October, 2002, 01:39 AM

Money is always an object, a dual sledge setup is going to run you over a grand just for motherboard CPUs and DIMMs. I don't care if you are Donald Trump, that has gotta hurt . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd October, 2002, 10:06 AM

Not really, Remember im used to waiting a year to get new kit. soon i'll be able to buy about £300 worth of kit a month quite comfortably! so a few months saving and a dual sledgehammer is mine!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 3rd October, 2002, 04:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SickBoy Send a message via AIM to SickBoy

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Once Intel incorporates symetric-multi-threading(i.e. two threads running on one CPU at the same time, AKA HyperThreading) on desktop CPUs, they are supposed to do this with 3.05GHz and faster Pentium 4s, software developed after that time will be multithreaded whenever possible.
I'll believe it when I see it. Multithreading is NOT an easy proposition - simply because Intel comes out with some piece of technology that -may- enhance the performance of their CPU, does not mean it will be adopted by those who write the software. Multithreading is hella hard, especially when you consider much of the server grade software (which could benefit most from multithreading) relies on SQL or other transaction-based processing, which, for obvious reasons, has to happen sequentially or at least somewhat so.

A lot of people have also *****ed about making DC clients multithreaded as well, which is problematic due to the same idea - the numbers you're crunching at any given moment are largely dependant upon what you were crunching X microseconds ago.

Concepts like this move slowly. To say that "software will be multithreaded whenever possible" because of Intel introducing hyperthreading in consumer-grade CPU's is misleading. Yeah, software -is- becoming more multithreaded on the whole but the kind of move to multithreading that your response implies will not happen, Jeff. Intel's push of hyperthreading technology will -not- cause that kind of a response. The software developing world moves much, much slower than that.

sb
Member #100

Abit KT7A-Raid----TBird 1 GHz@1333------Alpha PAL8045--------1.8v
MSI K7D Master---2x Duron 1.2@1320-----Glaciator II and SK6----1.75V
Asus A7N266-VM-----XP 1800+----SVC GC12----1.75V

"People want to know what I'm on. What am I on?!? I'm on my bike, six hours a day."

-Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor, father, and four-time Tour de France champion
Old 3rd October, 2002, 05:37 AM

MMX and SSE were widely implemented on new software that could take advantage of them after Intel introduced the technology, developers will utilize multithreading in CPU intensive applications whenever possible after HyperThreading goes main stream, you don't have to believe me now you just wait and see. It might take a year or so for developers to get going in that direction, but it will happen, wait and see just wait and see . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd October, 2002, 11:22 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

You'll find that most software is already multithreaded.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with threads, i'll try to explain

A thread is like a work path.. It goes from one end to the other, and processes everything inbetween

However, if you were to make a program, which had a timer incrementing constantly (IE a neverending loop) and wanted to perform other operations, you would have to do so in a seperate thread

you see the timer would take up one of the work path's and not end.. as it's constantly incrementing. There are ways of getting round this but they are lots of hassle

The second work path, or thread, would perform other operations, at the same time.

On a single CPU system, the OS manages which instructions are processed, by passing instructions from each thread when they are needed and keeping track of each thread. On a multi CPU system, the OS may run one thread per CPU, this is faster becuase of the fact you're doing 2 things at once on 2 different processors, as a pose to 2 things at once, alternating between the same processor.
Old 3rd October, 2002, 08:39 PM

Most of the software I use is not multithreaded Paul, so I don't agree with you on that point. There is a lot of it out there, but most software is not multithreaded.

Symetric Multi-Threading works in a fashion similar to a multi-CPU system. The difference is that while there appears to the OS to be double the number of CPUs there is not. What is going on is the CPU is spliting the execution slots up amoung multiple threads. In this way when one thread is waiting on a dependancy, the exectution slots that thread is not using can be filled by the other thread running on the CPU at that same time. It is just another way to achieve greater execution parallelism(the pipeline is more full more often), but on a thread level rather than on an instruction level.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 3rd October, 2002 at 08:41 PM.